mctrexler
I'm working with lots of thoughts in Expanded View.  I'm trying to figure out what the Expanded View settings are supposed to accomplish.  Even when I change everything to it's largest possible setting it makes no difference to my expanded view.  Questions:

1. Should changes apply to an Expanded View on the screen, or only to the "next" Expanded View?
2. What are the individual settings supposed to mean.  Sometimes I seem to see some kind of impact from shifting a variable (primarily the "size of distant thoughts") but usually not.  

It's all very puzzling.  I'm pretty sure I've asked this question before but can't find any record of it with search.  

Mark

TB 8.0.2.1  Windows 10  current Java
metta
I too will be looking forward to the feedback you get on this question, Mark.

I've had similar a reaction to and experience with the expanded view and, even though I've been a brain user for years, I've never used this display option much at all.

In fact, the only value I've found is expanding the display one level if I'm looking for the location of an adjacent thought that does not appear in the standard display. Beyond that, the display is so congested in my megabrain it has not been a particularly helpful function.

With appreciation and interest,
Metta
mctrexler
Metta, one of the problems I hear repeatedly expressed by users of the Climate Web is that they very quickly feel lost - they have no idea where they are in the labyrinth and that contributes to a feeling of drowning.  I'm experimenting with the idea of using images of expanded views to allow users to have a visual reference for the space they're exploring. For example, I've attached an expanded view screenshot of the first 2 levels of headings under the News portion of the Climate Web.  It's daunting in its own right, but at least it allows users to get a sense of what's going on, and how some of the hundreds of links are connected together.  They can "see" the Climate Web universe, and know where they are in it.  Obviously it would be good to have some control over what the expanded view looks like, but the settings remain a mystery to me. alternative N 2 levels.jpg 
zenrain
The Expanded View settings work as follows:

Re-Center
: When this is enabled and you click on a new thought, it will move that thought to the center of the plex. If this is not enabled, when you click on a thought it will make it active, but not move everything so the thought is in the center.

Collapse on Activate: If this is enabled, when you change to New Expanded View, it will collapse all thoughts so only the current thought is visible. This is only for New Expanded Views, Last Expanded or Saved will still retain the expansion it was saved in. If this is not enabled it will retain all thoughts visible in Normal mode, but now in the expanded mode. 

The sliders below these two checkboxes are not for Expanded view, they are for Expanded Normal View (yes, it sounds like Expanded mode but it isn't, it's a bit confusing...) - when you click the + button in Normal View to view Grand-Children and Grand-Parents in the plex. 
If you stay in normal mode, click the + button and start moving the sliders around you should notice the distance between thoughts and visibility of distant thoughts change. [smile]
macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.192
mctrexler
Thanks Zenrain.  I did assume that Expanded Normal View applied to Expanded View, although I wasn't sure why the word "Normal" was in there. Talk about confusing menu wording.  So I take it there is no way to control anything in Expanded View.  Unfortunate, since a lot of work in Expanded View is really just re-positioning thoughts that you're seeing in the "Expanded Normal View," and it would be nice to be able to control some of those parameters.  

Thanks! 

Mark 
mcaton
Thanks all for sharing and for the discussion.  We're certainly keen on making sure all settings and options in v9 are as clear as possible.  We'll keep this discussion in mind for any expanded view options as well.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software