acant05
Below is a copy of a post I made to the Beta forum re importing PB3 Note files.  I only have a problem with centered text. Is there any chance that this could be fixed?  It doesn't seem like a big undertaking to fix this "glitch." I know notes are a low priority but I have many years invested in marking up notes in PB3 (14,000 + thoughts with notes) and would like to go forward smoothly with PB4.  My utility PB3 files with little or no markup are fine but this particular file with my "nuggets" and over 26,000 thoughts would be nigh impossible to manually fix.

My post of July 23, 2007 at 04:26 PM  Email PM Reply

I am finally importing my main PB3 file to PB4 and ran into one problem. Previous brains converted had very little rich text mark-up so I hadn't noticed the problem previously. Center text in PB3 note files import into PB4 notes as left-aligned text.  I checked approximately 10 notes of the 14,000 or so that are in the brain file, so I am sure there are many other notes with errors. No other problems were noticed.

Am running PB 4.0.7.7 in Win XP Pro Sp2.
Al Cantley
Harlan
Hi Al,

Unfortunately this is very difficult to fix. Because RTF and HTML formats are quite different, formatting inconsistencies are bound to happen. For this reason, PB4 keeps your original PB3 notes as the notes.rtf attachment.

Regards,
-Harlan
acant05
I just opened a PB3 rtf file in Atlantis (a rtf-based word processor) and saved as a web page and the centered text was perfectly preserved.  I didn't realize that the rtf spec was inconsistent in identifying centered text.
Al Cantley
acant05
BTW, Robert, a developer of Atlantis (support@AtlantisWordProcessor.com) seems to be very helpful and accommodating :-).
Al Cantley
acant05
I know I am being a nuisance but this is a vital issue for me since I have used PB as my "main program" for 8 years or so.  I have accumulated "nuggets" in PB over a period of 8+ years that are appropriately formatted and I cannot move these to PB4 and go forward until I can figure out a way to preserve the "centered text." I regularly share the rich-text notes with others and there are many modified notes each day/week. That is one of the great things about PB, it is "organic," expandable, flexible...In reviewing certain topics, new "connections" magically appear... Last week there were about 100 rtf notes (out of the 14,000 total) modified. Maintaining dual format notes is not something that would be practical.

I have researched this issue somewhat and
have found that  it mainly involves converting the "\qc" RTF control word to the "align=center" HTML attribute.  Is there anything else I can do to resolve this problem until the PB4 API is published?  Thanks.
Al Cantley
Harlan
Al, one of our engineers will look into this, but I can't promise anything.
Regards,
-Harlan
acant05
Thanks, Harlan.
Al Cantley

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software