HanBav

I do not find a location where details about this offer are explained.

My questions:

Free upgrades as long as your subscription is valid:

As long as I pay 159 a year I have whatever version included? And the WebBrain?

Synchronization of your Brain across multiple machines: 

On how many computers is my licencse valid? Up to now it was 2 I think. Then I read somewhere in the forum, it is 4 now? What is the right number? Even more than 4?

... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
pthompson
Hannes, 

Thank you for posting. A little more information on Pro features can be found by following the Exclusive Pro features link.

You are correct, as long as you have a valid subscription ($159/ year) this includes Premium Services as well as any updates and upgrades that occur during that year.

Now that we have no serial numbers, activation is universal. Whenever you install TheBrain on a new machine, you will be required to log in with your account credentials to activate it.

Regards,

HanBav
So there is no specific number as a limit on how many brains on how many machines I may want to use?
... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
pthompson
HanBav wrote: So there is no specific number as a limit on how many brains on how many machines I may want to use?

Hannes, 

That is correct.
Parkerman
Hi Patrick, Sorry to be a nuisance but I have just upgraded to V7 Beta Release Candidate (Pro) and notice that your website page on version 7 "new features"
Clearly states 4 computers only:-

Get Seamless Integration between Cloud and Client

Cloud services give you synchronization across computers, remote automated backups, access from almost any Web browser, and more.

Now with TheBrain 7, you can install on up to 4 computers and keep them all in sync. TheBrain 7 features tighter cloud-desktop integration which includes: complete access to all your online Brains from your desktop, one click publishing and sharing, and more. 
Can you clarify whether there is a 4 computer restriction or is this a mistake.  This does matter to me as I have both Linux and Windows OS on my work, home and mobile computer all owned by me and used only by me (i.e. would involve 6 installs if I can). Seems almost too good to be true that I can install on 6?
Tim
Also for me this is an important question. Does "you can install on up to 4 computers" mean the total number of installations or the number of simultaneous installations? What happens if I uninstall TheBrain on one computer? Can I deactivate a computer installation (like in itunes)?
HeinrichUnger

It is a matter of question for me to. I am using it as the only guy at home and the only guy in office. But With only 4 licences (2 was even more complicated) I have to think about where to install.

But every time in last years, when I lost a computer (sometimes a sudden death) the support does help me.

If I don´t have to think about it - It would be better for me.

pthompson
Hello All,

It seems I misunderstood our new activation process. I apologize for the confusion. I have double-checked with our developers on this and it is official that activations are now increased to up to 4 machines (previously 2). If you need to activate on a new machine, and you already have TheBrain activated on 4 separate machines, you will need to uninstall on one of your other machines.

Regards,
HeinrichUnger
I assume you do not automaticaly know if i uninstall on one machine? So I have to go in contact with support?

4 machines are really great - 2 were very narrow to me - but I am using at my own for study at university so I can´t buy a second licence
billtaichi
Really you still limit the installs of a user?  And 4?  I think a lot of us probably can easily go above 4.  If you add in tablets and iphones it goes even higher.  Data I cannot get to everywhere I may want it is data that is not as useful as it could be.  Too bad there is a software patent on the "plex" (software patents are imo stupid but that is another conversation)  Having the web plex helps but you are rather pricey imo.  Good product but for what you charge I should be able to use it on all my machines without jumping through hoops,  so what would happen if I didn't uninstall the software on a computer I wiped, do I now have to call customer service to get that slot back?  More hoop jumping I don't want to waste my time on.   Making paying customers struggle to use a product in the way they want seems ...like a way to discourage purchases.

Tim
I agree with billtaichi.
Spacenexus

I think the 4 install limit just refers to the desktop installs. Access from mobile and desktop/laptop web does not come under that limit. I'm guessing here, but I would imagine that any mobile versions that come along in the future will come with their own install policy to provide additional installations. If one is seriously using more than 4 laptops or desktops as a single user and really needs the brain installer on 5 or more machines then that probably warrants a second licence or perhaps a licence extension of some sort. But i guess the whole point of Webbrain was to provide that kind of wider access if you really have over 4 machines in 4 separate locations that all happen to be desktops that only a single user has access to.

The obvious issue is that vendors have to also protect their income for software above a certain price point for professional tools and this is common practice not only in the software industry but elsewhere. Providing unlimited installs without control leaves the product overwhelmingly open to abuse.

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
billtaichi
I don't have a problem with someone making money on software they made but I do think some software vendors shoot themselves in the foot by making it harder for paying customers.   I have known people who actually owned software but they would use a pirated copy because the non pirated copy was a pain in the ass to use and they didn't want to make a phone call every time they wiped a machine and wanted to re-install.   

By the way I am not advocating piracy I do not pirate, I am saying  that sometimes software vendors are their own worst enemy and I am not necessarily saying that is the case with PB certainly much worse lockdown schemes than you guys have.   I have thought many times of buying this software and I suspect I will do it pretty soon, but one of the things that has always made me hesitate is the install limit, I can live with 4, 2 was a def no go, but I actually could install this on at least 6 machines (home desktop, work desktop, kitchen computer, netbook, main home laptop, work laptop) and of course tablets and phones when available,  yes I can use the web version but frankly that still seems a little buggy at times, although I have only used chrome with it so maybe there are browser issues with chrome.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software