tonja
Hello,

I like to try to model with the new PB7 features some concept map.

Concept Map
- Thought = Nowns
- Links = Verbs, Präspositions

How I consolidate the same link in a link which is splitting of?

e.g. "such as", I like so see this one once....

Greetings,

P.S. I hope Airplanes don't fall like apples or planets straight "down" and uses some more sophisticated physical effects... (Bad example, but that's just a concept map). 

Click image for larger version - Name: Bildschirmfoto_2012-03-16_um_06.15.28.png, Views: 183, Size: 87.87 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Bildschirmfoto_2012-03-16_um_06.15.57.png, Views: 208, Size: 1.71 MB
zenrain
You can't, I believe Harlan or someone suggested at one time to create an intermediary thought that you can use to create the split. 
Using bright colors for your regular thoughts and then duller colors (or no color) for the thought that handles the two link splits would work the best.
macOS 10.14.3
TheBrain 10.0.42
Spacenexus

Perhaps one could use special links types and thought types defined as concept map units so clusters of special thoughts and links would then fill your requirement.

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
tonja
Hello,

for static (and tiny) concept maps the workaround
Using bright colors for your regular thoughts and then duller colors (or no color) for the thought that handles the two link splits would work the best.
will work, but for dynamic huge maps it will be quit inconvenient that I always think in advanced if this specific link is unique (and get modeled as the object link) or will be more complex in the future (and I need this workaround).

PB is very strong in Context-Mapping (Meta-Info), but for Concept Maps (Deep Dive Model) it think this features become necessary to get the benefit from Concept Maps:

• Links (the node = text of the link) is the same object like a thought. It has only some tag (this is now a link) and with untagging it can be changed to the normal thought.
  • Links-splitt are possible, to model compact Concept Maps (not only even but also fast modeling)
  • Boxing, the types can use boxes in different styles and background colors (the best would be with adjusted gradient in the transparency of the background color and fading out effects)
  • SCHIFT + ENTER to define some manual linefeed, to make complex thought text also as compact as possible
  • Some more parameters how the arrows can adapt the look and feel in details
  • Search over N PB-Files / Concept-Models
So Concept Mapping is the deep dive in the detail thoughts and Context Mapping is more the word of traditional PB-features. But with little enhancements PB will work too for Concept Mapping very efficiently.

Greetings,

Click image for larger version - Name: Bildschirmfoto_2012-03-25_um_10.56.10.png, Views: 121, Size: 281.17 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Bildschirmfoto_2012-03-25_um_11.10.39.png, Views: 117, Size: 61.73 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: Bildschirmfoto_2012-03-25_um_11.16.39.png, Views: 119, Size: 15.97 KB
rengel
tonja,

the problem with context maps is: They are just graphical representations of the syntax of some sentences. Sentences with the same meaning can lead to vastly different concept maps. If the author of the sentence knows how to express himself, you get an intuitively understandable concept map, if not, you don't.

Click image for larger version - Name: ConcepMaps1.png, Views: 119, Size: 71.13 KB
Reinhard, TB 10.0.36.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
tonja
Hello Reinhard,

yes this is absolutely true.

But isn't is this the same prob for all graphical modeled information?

In the old times the philosophers of Alexandria and Babylon should write down there wisdom. And the answer was no, this lead only to some miss-interpretation and confusions. If someone has some question, it will be much more efficient just to make a normal discussion face to face...

For me concepts maps are very helpful to design a very condensed one-pager, which is perfect for memorizing all important informations for some exams. (Today I use for this mind maps, but they are only clouds of keywords without "real" structure). PB today I use this more for the longterm meta-structure (today I don't found the trick how to condense the most relevant informations together on one page, which I can print out easily. 

So for me it would be a big advantage also to model details in the style of Context Maps with PB (so I can skip my mind map modeling).

Greetings,

Click image for larger version - Name: Bildschirmfoto_2012-03-25_um_12.34.02.png, Views: 123, Size: 164.18 KB
rengel
Hello tonja,

I'm not against concept maps; but as far as I know, there is no established graphical 'language' to draw them (just nouns and verbs won't do). In TheBrain you have (at least) the following elements to structure information and meta-information:
  • thoughts (of course), 
  • thought types, 
  • tags
  • tag colors
  • links, 
  • link types, 
  • link directions, 
  • link names
  • icons, 
  • colors for thoughts, 
  • colors for links, 
  • thickness of links
  • parent-child relationships
  • jump-relationships
  • and even pinned up thoughts, types and tags
This is quite an achievement. But it's up to you, or to us users, to make something of these elements, to structure them and to decide, which ones should convey object information and which meta information. TheBrain is not promoted as a tool for semantic modeling and has no inbuild rules for that purpose. 

(But everything you can do with mind modeling you can do with TheBrain, and much more. And what's written about concept maps in Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_map, 
you can do in TheBrain too. Just try one of the other views of TheBrain.)

tonja
Hello Reinhard,

yes PB has many good features that go far beyond the Concept Mapping and I use tagging and typing extensively.

But if I like to model the one-pager Concept-Map of your Wikisoure.

I don't get all on one page with the same look and feel for the printout, because following features are missing to do this.

• split-links
  • boxes for thoughts
  • manual linefeed for thoughts to get them more compact (optional some autolayouting can change them to the PB-standard look and feel)
So today I need for this task 2 tools PB and CMaps and I would be glad to use PB only if the thinking time is much greater than the time of digitizing.

Greetings,

Click image for larger version - Name: Bildschirmfoto_2012-03-25_um_20.44.22.png, Views: 105, Size: 97.89 KB
tonja
Hello,

here is a good workflow how to setup a Concept Map.

Greetings,

tonja
file Click image for larger version - Name: TheBrainIcon.png, Views: 106, Size: 188.16 KB
rengel
Hello tonja,

this is just a proof of concept using the example from Wikipedia. But I doubt, if it's worth the effort...
For example, I don't consider this a good CM. 
ConceptMaps don't represent 'Organized Knowledge'
They are one possible organization of Knowledge. If one can't think clearly, no concept map will help.
Click image for larger version - Name: ConceptMaps.png, Views: 104, Size: 115.00 KB

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software