Windows 10, build x158 - This is repeatable for both new Types and new Tags.
Suspect it may be known, but if not here are observations from messing around with this a bit...my TMI 2 cents worth.
- Activate a Thought.
- Select Thought>Type or Tag from the main menu.
- Don't enter anything in the New Type or Tag name popup boxes.
- Do something different...press ESC; click in the plex, content window, another main menu; etc.
- Regardless, an empty Type or a partial Tag item is created. Types: no name or icon, Tags: no name, but w/preassigned pricetag icon:
- Even if one DOES enter text in the new Type/Tag popup, pressing ESC creates an empty Type/Tag...doesn't abort the create fcn. Instead, clicking somewhere after entering a name preserves what was typed (the intent, I presume...vs. requiring a confirmation??)...so an ESC issue, imo.
- These empty/partial Type/Tag Name and icon properties show up in all the right places...in both the keyboard Type/Tag Activation and Thought properties Type/Tag buttons' respective lists; Tag icon (only) pinned on the Thought in the plex; etc.
- Activated empty Types in the "Type Plex" present a red dot; Activated partial empty Tags in the "Tag Plex" present with the pricetag icon. The empty Type/Tag properties can be edited normally to add Names and icons.
- New empty/partial Types/Tags cannot be created via alternate paths: e.g., plex's Thought property's Type/Tag buttons>New. Here the blinking red label box reminders trigger if "new" type/tag is clicked without entering text in the list boxes. And, ESC properly works to abort, unlike #4 and #6 above.
- Empty Types/Tags cannot be created from existing ones by deleting the icon (no problem) and the Name (old names stubbornly remain when deletion attempted - a good stubborn!) via properties.
- Abort the Tag/Type creation process if nothing's entered, regardless of what's pressed/clicked..or
- Don't allow continuing without a name entered. Apply the same blinking red namebox design as used in other Type/Tag create interfaces; ESC to abort is required...or
- A different approach...present the Thought>Type/Tag menu differently: e.g, clone what's used in the plex Thought property>Tag/Type button list - functionality and presentation.
#2 is probably a quick fix and will work (heads up, placement of the new name dialog box has some bugs in that it can span outside the Brain, and even show up outside TB - see attached screen sniplets)
#3 sounds good since it'd add consistency with other Tag/Type lists, but it would break from other top level menu cascading look/feel; and opening a new Tag/Type window right away rather than cascading might not be desired either. Anyway, I leave it here for pondering. Consistency is my 2 cents worth in this rambling.
Minor issue Naming new Types/Tags:
Change the text: "Thought Name" in Thought>Type/Tag>New item boxes to "New Type Name", "New Tag Name". It's misleading as-is since Thoughts, Types and Tags are different entities.
Happy St. Patty's Day!