NorthFarm
Hi Harlan,

I have just made a migration from 4.2.1.8 to 4.3.0.1

There were no errors in the conversion run but comparing the statistics from before and after shows that there are 982 Notes missing out of 1473.

I made a brainzip from my USB-stick and installed 4.3.0.1 on the hard drive itself to keep it separate. I then launched 4.3.0.1 and imported the brainzip which was then converted.

Could it be that the reason is that my 4.2.1.8 is a Pro version and 4.3.0.1 is a "Free Edition (Pro Edition trial has expired.)" ?

It seems everything else so far is running fine. The speed of the animation is far better than in 4.2.1.8. (I only have the program on USB-stick not the actual brain files so I don't think that's the reason).

Regards,

Hans Henrik Nørregaard.
Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 8.0.2.2 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_121
...and now testing TheBrain 9.0.158.0 :-)
NorthFarm
Hi again.

I activated the Pro Edition and made the conversion again.

Same result - it deletes notes.

I've attached the output.log from my second attempt as well as the stats pictures.

Regards,

Hans Henrik Nørregaard.

----------------------
Harlan

Thanks for your posts and screenshots. This should not be happening, regardless what edition (free/pro/core/trial) it is using. We'll see if we can replicate it here and figure it out.

Regards,
-Harlan
jroeterd
Hello,

I also have lost notes (20 from the 67 according to the statistics) in de conversion from 4.2.1.8 to 4.3.0.1. Here is my output.log from after the conversion. I hope it helpes.

Greetings,
Jroeterd
jroeterd
Hello,

When I wrote my previous post I realized that I sometimes had moved some text in the notes and deleted it afterwards. So I went back to my 4.2 release which saw 67 thoughts with notes and selected the report thoughts with notes and checked all 67 notes and it appeared that 20 of them where listed but did not contain text in the notes tool. So the conversion to 4.3 did it right (in my case anyhow) and the statistics in the 4.3 release is presenting the correct number of thoughts with notes.

Greetings,
Jroeterd
Harlan

Hans, I couldn't replicate the problem here. Can you click through some of your Thoughts with Notes in 4.2 (Reports > Thoughts with Notes) and see if it is possible that some of them do not actually contain anything as described by Jroeterd above? Thanks.

Regards,
-Harlan
NorthFarm
Hi Harlan,

Jroeterd was right. In 4.2.1.8 there are a lot of thoughts listed in the report "Thoughts with notes" that actually do not have notes in them. For my part I can say that the majority of these thoughts never had any notes in them, but most have attached icons from the "Paste Thought Icon" function. I haven't checked all 1473 so see if this is why they appear in the list in first place. There were also a few that simply didn't have any notes in it and didn't have anything attached as icon or otherwise.

Anyway - 4.3.0.1 looks good regarding this issue - it's probably the report in 4.2.1.8 that's at fault.

Regards,

Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
Harlan

That's good news Hans. Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,
-Harlan
mbaas
I also had a difference of -30 in the number of notes going from 4218 to 4302, but with 11,000+ thoughts, I did not even try to find the difference.
(BTW, Utilities/Statistics did show 1282 notes, whereas Reports/Thoughts with notes showed 1,261 items. After deleting all forgotten thoughts, these stats were in sync. Bit confusing, I think both numbers should be based on the same selection...).

But the reports from others make me confident that it is only a statistics-issue and that nothing was lost.

So far, 4302 is looking good and I like the increased speed   No issues with stability so far, to get a real-live result, I'm using it "in production" already.

NorthFarm
Hi mbaas,

I was also considering going to 4.3 for "production", but I then remembered that Harlan wrote in the "4.3 introduction" that it will only replace 4.2 IF it success in solving the problems that 4.2 has. That leads me to conclude that we might get stranded with a 4.3 database and work continue on 4.2.

Pending hearing more from Harlan that the 4.3 database is the chosen database for the future I will keep testing once in a while on 4.3 but not go in "production" yet.

Regards,

Hans Henrik Nørregaard

----------------------
labische
Converted BrainZip from 4218 -- conversion was smooth and within a "normal" time frame (as when 4218 unzips a brain)
Did a thorough scan of Brain (apx 1100 thoughts) - good review of projects for me....
Seems only issue is that thumbnails are not showing on thoughts with attached .jpgs -- although they do show when dragging in new pics -- or re-dragging them from within brain.
Tried unselecting/re-selecting Load Thumbnails For Large Images
(these average is less than 1mg)--didn't help
4.3 working smooth - no other issues from here
labische

mbaas
Hans,

yes, you are right. But I'm trusting Harlan   and I figured the only way to do some real-live testing would be to use it in real live. And I still have a backup of my 4.2-brain and using the reports feature I could easily find out which thoughts I edited and then copy+paste them back into 4.2 if it should really be neccessary.

All the best

Michael

Harlan
Thanks for the reports...

For the record, if we do decide to go back on 4.3 (which doesn't look likely at this point), we'll build a conversion utility of some kind to re-migrate.
Regards,
-Harlan
NorthFarm
Hi Harlan,

Sounds good. I'll be using 4.3.0.2 in "production" from now on then.

Regards,

Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
mbaas
Quote: For the record, if we do decide to go back on 4.3 (which doesn't look likely at this point), we'll build a conversion utility of some kind to re-migrate.

Wonderful, you are so kind with us  

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software