asexymind
I am brain deep into MindManager, but like the new capabilities of TheBrain 4 Pro.  Well done.  I am considering changing my system from MM to TheBrain - which means changing the way I relate to my life - my representation/organization/visualization/chronicle of what I am up to, and have a couple questions... :-)

I am surprised I can't basically anything about this on the forum, so I will just start the conversation here.

1) Does anyone use both?  Why?  What are each good for?
2) What do you prefer about TheBrain (or MM for that matter)?
3) Can you import MindManager maps into the brain?  Export from the Brain to MindManager?
4) Has anyone switched from MM to The Brain?  How was the process, learning curve?

Thanks!
--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
westbroek
I use MM and have my complete GTD life map in there. I'm in the process of switching to PB.

I haven't found a way to import/export between PB and MM. Very sad and very weird: the two are made for eachother. Forcing customers to choose between the two isn't the smartest of moves.

1) I use both, yes. MM is preferred when I map a talk, conference call, or brainstorm. Hitting [enter], [ins] and using the keyboard arrows makes it much, much faster to use than entering the same stuff in PB.

2) What I like from MM: see also #1. But also: a complete overview. What I like from PB: easier and better looking linking (try that in MM and you have a mess). No hard edges: you can keep on building and building.

3) No, don't think so.

4) Yes, I am switching -- but for specific tasks. I'll keep on using MM to quickly map out ideas and such. More permanent thoughts go into PB. I'm also switching to it as my trusted GTD system.

Shiiko
  westbroek wrote: my complete GTD life map

I'm just curious what 'GTD' stands for and what is a life map.
westbroek
GTD stands for Getting Things Done.

A life map simply combines different levels:

• Runway: your current actionable things - your Next Actions
  • Current scope (also: 10,000 ft view): your projects and goals for about the coming 12 months. This level feeds the runway.
  • Areas of responsibility (20,000 ft view): areas of focus in your life, your work. Helps to keep the 10,000 ft on track, focussed.
  • Goals & Objectives (30,000 ft). 1-2 years into the future. Where do you want to go? Where do you want to be?
  • Vision (40,000 ft). 3-5 year. What does success look like? How do you get there?
  • Purpose and Principles (50,000 ft). What do you see as the purpose of your life? Who do you want to be?
Mindmapping lends itself very well to GTD.

ChrisCase
I often use MM clickable imagemap exports in my sitebrain, e.g. http://floatingworldweb.com/plex/#-5915 , but exchange of data is another matter.

Are you familiar with TransLucid?  It is still being developed, but already has the capacity to import/export to PB3, and is well along the way to being able to exchange data with MM.  They are also intending to provide PB4 import/export functions.  So when that is ready, presumably one could  combine Brain and MM data in TransLucid and send it to either of the programs...
Henry
Splendid imagemap Chris.
How do you maintin the horizontal Thoughts in PB4?
Henry
asexymind
Yes, great map - how are you connected with WebBrain 2.0?

and WOW! about translucid - The more I get into it, the more that MM and PersonalBrain seems like incredible compliments if they could speak to one another...Imagine an underlying database that could be read and written to using either PersonalBrain or MindManager... or  a aggregator of sorts that can at least translate between them with ease... I hope translucid is really sucessful at something like this.

The more I play with The Brain, the more I like its features.  And I notice how it does different things than MM...Hmmm...

--
vicanto
The Holy Grail of Software
The quest for a usable, useful, searchable, editable, robust, peppy, flexible knowledgebase is admirable but not easy. Let's find solutions.

http://www.loosewireblog.com/search/index.html

http://groups.google.com/group/personalknowledgebase?msg=pending
Harlan
Lots of interesting comments here. We'll add import from MM as a feature request for a future version.
Regards,
-Harlan
acant05
My hope is that interaction with FreeMind (open source) will also be possible.  Please note that the beta version now supports scripting with Groovy (a Java-based scripting language that is new, powerful and becoming popular - especially in the Java community).  Is there any possibility of users using Groovy to customize/extend PB4 in the future?

Freemind Beta Wiki:
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FreeMind_0.9.0:_The_New_Features

Al Cantley
Harlan
Yes, we do have an API built in to PersonalBrain that will be exposed for third party developers in a future version.
Regards,
-Harlan
asexymind
Harlan,

Thanks for being so hands on with this community.  It gets me more excited about using your product - which is really cool, btw.  I find the difference between the experience it creates and MindManager useful and inspiring.  AND, I want both, because the "big picture" that MindManager provides is either just helpful to my brain or because I have just already carved out those neural pathways.  PLEASE find/create/empower someone to create that.  My hope is that the MPX (MS Project) export format could serve as a intermediary step. 

Thanks again for you creativity and genius in putting this whole thing together.

Mark

--
ChrisCase
Find all posts by Henry Henry

Old post June 24, 2007 at 04:39 AM  Email PM Reply

Splendid imagemap Chris.
How do you maintin the horizontal Thoughts in PB4?
Henry

I don;t quite understand your question, Henry. Could you rephrase it?
ChrisCase
Find all posts by asexymind asexymind

Old post June 24, 2007 at 11:50 PM  Email PM Reply

Yes, great map - how are you connected with WebBrain 2.0?

WebBrain is a completely different site, apparently made with Brain EKP, right?  Is there some way to integrate with it, other than merely including it as a page to be displayed?
ChrisCase
FWIW, it seems one could link to a particular WebBrain page by first finding it in WebBrain, then right-clicking and choosing This Frame Only, at which point the URL with the thought ID will appear in the Navigation toolbar.  That URL could then be used in ones own brain to take one to the relevant WebBrain page.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software