SmartDust
Hi,

Just tested out this feature and unfortunately in the current implementation it is not very useful to me.

I created a test thought with a note that contains a graphic and a table. Both items are lost when copied with this feature. The picture shows up as a broken URL reference (last part of the URL reference when the note is viewed in HTML) and all the formatting of the table has gone. Are there any plans to improve this function?

My idea was to have notes with source text that I use to write proposals. Depending on the requests, I could run a selection and copy the relevant sections to a master document.

As it stands now, this only works for plain text and nothing extra. I need support for diagrams (pictures) tables and some basic formatting.

Best Regards

Siegfried
zenrain
If you have pro, what happens when you export to folders? I believe that exports notes as a .html file within the folder.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
SmartDust
Thanks for the replies.

@billbarrett
The whole idea was to have a simple straightforward copy/paste in a form of outline that mimics the brain hierarchy and includes some basic form of formatting and images. I don't want to revert to folders and sub folders and use that to recompile a single master document.

I currently use Inspiration but was hoping that this release would substitute some of the work I do in there. In Inspiration, I can have notes with embedded images and they show up in the outline that is generated from the mind map.

@zenrain
Indeed but the export is creating html and a lot of subfolders and this is way too messy. I want one file with an outline. Thoughts as headers and notes as paragraphs under these headers and support for images in notes that are copied over. should not be too difficult. But as I understand it, the third party notes editor is once again showing its limits and maybe it is time to consider an alternative?
zenrain
The export is to a text file. Text files are incapable of handling tables, or any kind of formatting whatsoever.

The file path to the image should be formed correctly, I'd file that as a bug, but regardless of the source, there is simply no way to carry table formatting over to a text file.

Unfortunately, the html formatting is the second best option for retaining the formatting. I would think that they did it this way because 1. converting .html to text is pretty simple; 2. the notes editor is .html itself, so it's a straight port; 3. txt and html files can be opened on any computer without requiring third party software (such as exporting to a .doc format, or .pdf).
.rtf may be a possibility, but I'm not sure of the complexity of converting a .html document to a .rtf document while retaining formatting. I just tested, and it's not as simple as a copy - paste, since the .rtf just takes the text and strips everything else.

Sorry.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jostber
I can't find this command. Where is it?

--------------
PB 5.5.0.0
Suse 11.1
KDE 4.2  
Java 1.6.0_14

TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

SmartDust
@jostber

Only appears under Edit menu when you have something selected.

Best regards

Siegfried
Darkstar
You CAN just select all the note content itself, copy that to the clipboard, and paste it where you need it. That will contain all the information in the note.

This means you have to do each individual thought's notes SEPERATELY for your multi-thought copy as outline. Sorry, don't know a better way around that challenge in PB.

Sounds like you won't be able to retire Inspiration for that capability. BTW--- Inspiration is very nice app in itself.
-Darkstar
SmartDust
@Darkstar

Nope. Does not work. Try it. Make a note and insert a table, format the table with colors etc. Insert a picture. Now from the note editor, select all, copy and paste for example in Windows XP in WordPad. No Picture, no table, no formatting.

Apparently the only way forward would be to abandon the HTML oriented note editor or extend it with RTF.

Best Regards

Siegfried

zenrain
It does however retain formatting and table information when you copy and paste into Word or Outlook e-mail. I just don't think Wordpad is capable of converting .html formatting.
Tested in Word & Outlook 2007

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
SmartDust
@zenrain

True, it works when you paste in MS Word when you select all and copy in the note editor. But why does it not work when you copy as text outline with notes? So apparently the capability is there but it is not implemented properly for this menu option.

Best Regards

Siegfried
mcaton
Thank you for all the feedback here.  True, the image cannot be displayed in a .txt outline, but the formatting for information that an image exists isn't as clean as it could be.  I'll make sure this is on our developer's list.

Thank you,
Matt
SmartDust
Matt,

Thanks for this. Just a question: is this feature only targeting plain text or can it copy the full HTML of the attached note? This way, in MS Word, we would be able to get the picture and the formatting from the note and not just the URL to the image. Should I log a new request to extend this feature?

Best Regards

Siegfried
tcahill
SmartDust wrote: Hi,

Just tested out this feature and unfortunately in the current implementation it is not very useful to me.

Another problem with copy as text outline (with notes or without) is that the pasted output has no correspondence to the current arrangement of the thoughts in the plex. Instead, major segments have been removed from the outline with the thoughts seemingly pasted as alphabetically sorted main items, according to how they were first created. I've been working at re-arranging my plex into an outline suitable for generating a report. I've now prepared a PB outline that I'd like to use as a framework for writing to. In the attached PDF, you can see the outline I've developed. However, Here is the text that is pasted (once I've selected all the thoughts I want):

2 POD Captains
    # Assemble POD captain packages
    Recruit POD captains
        Captains
        # Criminal record checks
    Resources
    Twice-annual meeting
        Agenda
        Coordinate
2 recruit volunteers
    confidentiality
    Filing
    recieve CRs
        # Criminal record checks
    refer for placement
    Synchronize lists
3 POD Groups
    Develop NEPP Training Workshop
    Fire Supression Equipment
    Livestock Plan
    Muster Points and Evacuation Routes
    Neighbourhood Signs
        Authorizations
        Cost estimates
        Endorsements
    POD Contingency Planning
4, Databases
    Compile questionaire info
    Contact
    db Deliverables
        # Questionnaire database
    Questionnaire database
9 Final Report
    Organizational Plan
        Organizational
            Budget
            Mandate
                CRD SSI Emergency Services
            Scope
        POD Operations
advocate
    Emergency Commission
    liaise First responder groups
    Public Awarness
        3 Articles
        4 Community groups advocacy
            # Public Presentations
        Advertisements
        Newspaper articles
        Public Presentations
Best Practices
    inter-area info sharing
Collateral Production
    Assemble POD captain packages
        # handouts
        # manuals
    handouts
    ID Badges / Authorization
    manuals
    maps
meet
    Follow up actions and status
    Initial meetings
        schedule Emergency reps talk
        Set up
        Topics
            Available Equipment
            Escape Routes
            Questionaire-completion
                # Questionnaire database
            Special Needs
            Supplies
    Inter-meeting follow on and contacts
    Ongoing meetings
        # Follow up actions and status
NEPP training
Ssipod.org
    Administration, Ssipod.org
        # Questionnaire database
    Content, Ssipod.org
    Look and Feel
    Ssipod, To do
        Criminal record checks

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
mcaton
Smartdust - notes will be copied as text only.  The coding that is being created by images will be removed in an upcoming patch.

tcahill - I see what you mean when looking at your PDF and the output txt.  It looks like the reason for this is that some of these thoughts have multiple parents.  This is difficult to display in a linear text form.  Would you mind sending us a copy of your Brain for some testing on our end?

Thanks,
Matt

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software