danlandrum

I followed the prompts to install .119 this morning and after completion the program crashed  when I tried to open my DanBrain (you have a copy). I've attached text from the Mac crash report as well as attached your output log (renamed to output.txt, note - there was no error log generated):

Hope this helps. I'm going to restart, try it again and report back in a subsequent post.

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
danlandrum
Second report, and I hope what is good news in your search for why I'm still getting a flash after every thought is clicked, even on .119!

After restarting everything my DanBrain opened as expected. I started clicking around and had the same old lag problem with the screen flashing after nearly every thought. I say "nearly every" because there seems to be some correlation with retracing steps in which the flash didn't occur, but the problem is 100 percent reproducible when venturing outward. I decided to create a screencast for you and demonstrate the problem, so I reduced the window size. Voila! Problem gone. Expanding it back out again caused it to return. This is consistent. I'm doing a screencast to demonstrate and will post it shortly.
OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
danlandrum
OK, this just got even weirder. Here's a link to a screen recording at 30fps so to give you an accurate representation of relative smoothness between the two window sizes. Here's the weird part: you'll notice I say everything is fine with the smaller window, but you'll also notice that the actual screen capture still caught the flash!

Is it possible that it always flashes, but when the window size is smaller it just happens too fast for the eye to catch and my frame rate just happened to reveal the issue? I have definitely noticed that with larger window sizes the flash and lag are longer.

In know the flash isn't expected behavior, but should it normally take visibly longer to redraw a larger window on such a modern machine?  (specs in sig)

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
Hi Dan,

Thanks for making the video for us. Yes, larger screen areas still take longer to redraw. Most applications do not utilize animation to the extent that TheBrain does, so you don't notice it. Graphics hardware has been optimized mostly to play video games... is generally very fast at rendering textures in 3D, but can still be challenged by large amounts of varying anti-aliased text and lines like that used by TB.

Unfortunately I think we are going to need to locate a piece of hardware that replicates the issue you are having in order to troubleshoot it properly. As we optimize performance it will likely get better, but until we can learn the cause by interactively debugging with a machine it is like shooting in the dark.

Questions...

1. Compared to the last video you made, it does seem that the delay in response to your clicks is less (although obviously still unacceptable). Do you agree?

2. Can you try maximizing the plex area (click the little arrow on the splitter) so that the content area is hidden and then navigating and let me know if that changes anything.

3. Show the content area like normal and try switching to mind map layout (View > Mind Map). Clicking on a thought in that view changes the content but does does move re-arrange the thoughts. When you are in this view, click on several thoughts and check if it is flashing. Next right click on a thought and select "Activate" and note if it flashes.

4. Finally, go back to View > Normal and try using the Options > Wander function and let me know if it still flashes on each navigation.

Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum

Harlan,

Here's an updated video with TB9 .120, answering all your previous questions. I've noticed that the lag happens whether or not the screen is being redrawn, for instance, when selecting menu items.

Hope this helps. 

For my own tesing purposes, I hope someone else chimes in who us using a late model 2015 iMac with TB9. 

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
Hi Dan,

Thanks for making the video. It gives us a few clues as to what might be happening that we didn't have before. We are continuing to research what could be going wrong.

If you set the window size of TB on your iMac to be the same size as your MacBook, I am assuming it is still performing poorly, is that correct?
Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
Quote:
If you set the window size of TB on your iMac to be the same size as your MacBook, I am assuming it is still performing poorly, is that correct?

Yes, sir.

OSX 10.13 
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software