asexymind
:-)

I have an outline (see pic). I "crawl brain" 2 children deep. I select. then I copy results to text outline.

it seems that once the results are in the text outline, it ignores the original "selection rule" and shows ALL the relationships between ideas in the selection. So, if there are any loops in my selection, they show up.

I fix this by printing the screen, but that is not as clean/crisp/easy/fast...

perhaps this is a feature request to be able to use the "selection to text outline" to recreate the outline in the brain...as shown in the outline mode...

Click image for larger version - Name: Clipboard01.jpg, Views: 282, Size: 183.80 KB
--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
SamCox
I suspect that you have some thoughts linked to more than one "Got Video" parent, but because you aren't displaying links, I can't be sure.

In PB's Outline view mode, thoughts with multiple parents are displayed under just one parent with links shown to the other parents. In the Copy Text as Outline result, thoughts with multiple parents are present under each parent with a leading hash symbol ("#") indicating the thought is represented multiple times.

-- Sam

tooltrainer
I've just run into this as well but I don't really understand the explanation provided.

I routinely have thoughts with multiple parents... it's just the way I think.  Does this mean that any time I have a thought with more than one parent, the other parents (and ALL their children too!!!) will always show up in my exported outline?

If so, this is a real problem for me... I need to share a portion of my brain with some partners, but the outline of that thought and all its children is ending up including entire other projects that are not (for the partner's purposes anyway) related to the originating thought.

How can I truly get an export of ONLY the selected thought and all of it's direct descendants?

Jonathan

dyslucksia
I don't know if this will help you, but have you tried marking the Thoughts you don't want appearing as Private?
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
tooltrainer
Ooooh good trick!  Will try that now, seems like it would be perfect!

Jonathan

tooltrainer
Rats... so much for that.  The only way this would work would be if I actually marked EVERY thought that was being brought in incorrectly, as private.  I had hoped I could just mark the parent thought of them all as private, and voila.  Unfortunately it doesn't work that way... and with almost 600 thoughts to sift through, setting dozens and dozens of them to private only to try and make them un-private again later, isn't gonna work for me. 

Maybe this can be addressed in some way soon.  Here's hopin!

Jonathan

mcaton
Mark,

I've tested this feature today to verify that it is working properly.  I'm not sure if I understand what the issue is.

Can you send me a copy of your Text Outline output and also an edited copy with your 'desired' results?

Thank you,
Matt
Darkstar
tooltrainer, there is a workaround to your problem. Copy the thoughts you need to use to make your outline into a new brain.

Start a second instance of PB, and make a new (temp) brain.

Using your brain with the information (in your normal, original instance), find the project you need to copy, crawl downward by however much you need (presuming everything is child links), adding the results to the selection box, copy all thoughts in the selection box.

Go over to the second instance running your temp brain, and paste.

Compare what you have in the temp brain. If you need more, go back and copy it (clear the selection box, and then use either crawl or control+click to fill it up, copy selection, and paste into your temp brain as needed)

When you are done and have everything you need in the temp brain, create your outline.

When you are done with your temp brain, close down the instance. You can then go into wherever you store your brains, and delete it.

If you will be needing to create that outline again in the future, you should take the time to tag everything you put into the temp brain when you are copying it. That will allow you to just grab the contents of the tag in the future, greatly speeding the process. Then you would just need to select any untagged thoughts that also need to be included (and tag them while you are hunting them down), and add them into your next temp brain.
-Darkstar
dyslucksia
Yes, throwaway Brains are a good tip to remember, and sometimes the only way of making mass changes to one's Brain. Simply put what you need into a new "shell", then throw the old one away.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
tooltrainer
Thanks for the suggestions... problem is, I'm on the Mac and don't believe there is any way to open another instance of the brain.  On Windows this is pretty standard but not usually on Mac OS.

If anyone can tell me how to run a second instance on Mac, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Jonathan

Darkstar
Well, if you Mac is powerful enough, I suppose you could run WINE and run two instances of PB in that.

Having to make do with just 1 running PB, I'd copy what you want to the clipboard, create the new temp brain, paste the clipboard over, take screenshots of the plex (in outline mode or whatever I was needing to compare) --- saving the screenshots out to a temp directory, then swap back to the main brain (reload it), compare the screenshots of the new brain against the main. If I needed to copy over more items, I'd copy them, load the temp brain, and paste them where needed, delete out of date screeshots, make more screenshots of the updated temp brain plex, and repeat until I got it just as I need it.

It MIGHT be easier to just export your temp brain to a site brain format, and look at it there, if you can get it to run locally on your Mac.
-Darkstar

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software