Antonio68
I need to create a brain where a list of thought is linked by Jump thoughts, as the example below:
1 jump to A
2 jump to B
3 jump to C
and so on for around 20 000 rows

When I open the impor tool I have the following instructions:

Text Outline

Use text files to quickly import data.

• Each line becomes a thought.
  • Indentation created using tabs show hierarchical relationships.
  • Line starting with - (dash) are added as notes.
  • Lines starting with a + (plus) are added as Web link attachments.
  • Labels can be added to a thought by separating them with a | (pipe) on the same line as the name.

with no mention about jumps.
Any idea?
PS: I am in version 9
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

ruudhein
Don't think that is possible. You have no GUID's to jump to on import; that's where the problem starts. Think of it as importing a contact list and you want each name to jump to an address -- but neither you nor the brain knows of the address already. Not possible.

I thought maybe import, then make a list and auto link that but you would have to do it line by line. If you highlight a list of words, TB doesn't associate it with a list of thoughts when you press ctrl L

A workaround -- with the emphasis on work -- could be to generate the GUID's and then construct a valid Brain 8 XML file.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | TheBrain v10.0.23.0
Antonio68
Not sure I have understood your concept, but from a naive point of view, we will need a function in the import routine such as an indentation that contain a "-" indicate to the brain to create a jump thought.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Cerebrum
ruudhein wrote:
Don't think that is possible. You have no GUID's to jump to on import; that's where the problem starts. Think of it as importing a contact list and you want each name to jump to an address -- but neither you nor the brain knows of the address already. Not possible
The Import function already does this: First a Parent thought is created and then the Child thought is added and linked to the Parent. Likewise with adding a web link attachment. What's missing is a way of identifying the next item in the text file as a Jump thought and not a Child or a web link. 
shatcher
I actually recently tested this on my own, and documented the lack of markup for jump Thoughts as a bug report. 

Thanks for reporting it here. I've added your information to the report.

Cheers, Sean
nkntr2a

Hey guys, happy user here that just came up with a really great use for TheBrain 9, but at the same time, a problem.

I am using TheBrain 9 as a data migration proofing tool...we have created our recipe and generate a text outline and then import it, and we can put it in front of BA's and SME's who can click around and see transforms links and mappings and whatnot. What is missing is the ability to describe a jump-thought in text. This would be great for documenting the lateral move from the source database to the target database so that ultimately there are three columns connected by jumps:

1. Source tables

2. Transforms/mappings (chainable through a series of jumps that make the recipe)

3. Destination tables. 

Without jump thoughts as part of the text import process (and the markup language to be able to describe it) I have to use parent-child relationships and then annotate that this child is a jump inside of a note...messy. The cool part is, I have the export down using the braindump-->JSON as a template engine. Works fantastic...

By the way, my home machine is Windows, but my dev machine is Linux...I'm at the client site RDPing into my windows box at home to show the brain because it no longer works on Linux/Ubuntu...I'm going to have to wind up installing a virtual box to use TheBrain 9...but as all Linux enthusiasts know, there is ALWAYS a workaround. Still, it would be nice.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software