kshue
I'm just curious about how people make the decision to create a new brain.

They can't interact and searches don't cross acrossmore than one brain, yes?

So why/in what circumstances would you choose to create a new brain?

Thanks --

Kazza

Spacenexus
Kazza

Welcome to the forum. Personally speaking i'm generally a one brain kinda guy. Being monobrainius has its advantages as you point out, searching and cross correlation of information being one of them.

I have created several new brains along the way though. These are specifically for other people or for discreet data sets as templates. They would not be constant use brains.

Stan was looking at how best to create discreet sets of data within the brain environment (http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2111082) touching upon similar issues. Should the data be in his main brain as thoughts or as a thought containing an attachment file with data in another format. In this case it would also be a valid approach to have created a separate brain and have that standalone or embedded within his main brain.

So although another brain is created, its use is different from that of a main brain. Some people feel that a split between work and personal or other definitions suites them and in that case you'd have 2 or 3 working main brains. That approach never appealed to me and i have just about everything integrated into one.

Perhaps the following thread might also be of interest: http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2045211.

One brain, structured well should be your main repository. Any further brains will be for isolated sets of information just as you'd create a spreadsheet, mindmanager map, or word document. The only difference is you have the choice of embedding the new brain file and corresponding directory as an attachment within a thought in your main brain, or as a set of child thoughts under the relevant thought in your main brain.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
kshue
Jim:

Thanks so much -- that kind of confirms what I was thinking -- and I really liked the second link you gave -- lots of food for thought there (no pun intended ;-))

I am puzzling over how to move a project back and forth between two computers-- I was thinking that if I had a separate brain, I could just keep overwriting the older version, but I hate to lose all the other linking capabilities. I'll figure something out....

Rather than having more than one brain, it makes much more sense to me to treat this brain like my own in-the-head-Brain. Even in terms of how to organize it -- I started by trying to create a top-down structure, but have realized that it will be more meaningful  and useful if I really do treat like a real Brain and let it self-organize / emerge from bottom-up smaller thoughts and connections that emerge over time. This will create some frustration for me as I tend to like clear minimalist information displays, but it rather defeats the utility to do it that way, is my notion.

Thanks again --

Kazza

Spacenexus
Glad to help. Of course the ultimate for portability is a good laptop but having said that at the moment i have my brain on an external 160GB USB drive which can readily be plugged to different computers.

If for some reason you do need to use two separate computers like a desktop at home and at work then i think you'll find LogMeIn a great solution.

Here i'm using it to show my full brain running from my pda with no loss of function and it has really great performance over LAN, wireless or 3G: http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2085773. You can also access it from Windows, Mac or Linux though your brain does have to reside on a windows computer to use this particular product.

So you might want to set up your brain on one computer completely. Whenever you're at your other computer simply log in and have a full screen rendition of your first computer right in front of you. It has to be seen to be believed! Best of all the base configuration is completely free

cheers

Jim
@181218:
TB8022 32bit

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
Spacenexus
Quote:
I started by trying to create a top-down structure, but have realized that it will be more meaningful and useful if I really do treat like a real Brain and let it self-organize / emerge from bottom-up smaller thoughts and connections that emerge over time.

That can work quite well. There may be some obvious top level thoughts that you might find work for you at the start but creation from bottom up is what we do a lot of the time. At frequent intervals you may notice opportunities for consolidation and patterning with groups of thoughts, which tends to be an ongoing and fun process

cheers

Jim
@181218:
TB8022 32bit

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
kshue
Jim:

Thanks so much for your Thoughts (pun intended -- I never was much good at punning ;-).

I have finally managed to re-install TheBrain on my portable hard drive and copy my Brain over to it. Thanks so much for that Thought -- I happily inserted new Thoughts all weekend off and on and ported them back to the office successfully.

Here are some newbie questions, though -- can I now delete my directory for Brain3, including the old brain? And since I've transplanted my new Brain to my external HD, can I delete everything from the internal HD of the computer?

And how can I get websites to open up in the notes window like in all the pretty videos? Or is that a different version?

And the brains in our heads do exactly what we've been describing -- lots of individual bottom-up connections which get "bound" in patterns. The only time there's top-down activity is when we interfere with our medications/surgeries, even though it can FEEL top-down when we're consciously working at something.

Thanks again--

Kazza

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software