Cerebrum Show full post »
mcaton
Victoria,

Can you please replicate this issue in a test Brain and immediately send or post a copy of your Output.log file after the Note content is deleted? Output.log file can be accessed from Help > Open Log Directory.  More specs on your machine would also be helpful.

And finally, you mentioned that the deletion cannot be undone - does this mean you've tried pressing CTRL+Z after a deletion issue with no results?

Thank you,
Matt
vmilhoan
Hi Matt - I attached 2 files. Log 1 is after experiencing the jump, then an erase of the data. Ctrl-Z did not work to bring back the notes text. Around this time, I did notice that Syncplicity showed an error to upload the Notes.html file associated with this note. Syncplicity backs up all docs on my PC, including everything in my brain file area.

Log 2 experienced jumps with no erase. But, I did see that there was an error from Syncplicity to upload Notes.html and then also an error about uploading brain.db. 

Syncplicity keeps trying, so it did eventually backup the files.
vmilhoan
Did one more test - created a new note and excluded that notes.html file from a Syncplicity backup, so no other app was trying to do anything with the file. I typed for quite a while and then did experience a jumping cursor and a notes erase. Ctrl-Z didn't bring the note back. A restart of TB didn't bring it back either.
zenrain
Just as general feedback it's usually best to back up databases when they aren't being used, instead of while they are live. The backup read process can interfere with regular functions and could introduce corruption. This is why companies back up SQL and other databases at night.

You might look at excluding TheBrain data folders from your continuous backup and then back it up during a scheduled nightly backup.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
vmilhoan
Based on your recommendations, I excluded all brain files from the Syncplicity backup and restarted TB. I was able to replicate the jumping and erase issue 3 times with 3 different scenarios:

Output-no-TB-backup.log : Using the regular brain I had been using (and imported from TB8)

new-brain-jump-erase-2.log : I created a new brain (after I had disabled all of the backups) and was able to type a lot of info into a note, plus copy a picture into the note. This is the longest I had gone without seeing a jump/erase issue. I left it overnight, came back to it this morning, and was able to replicate.

new-brain-jump-erase : In the new brain, I created another note and was able to see the jump/erase issue fairly quickly.
mcaton
Victoria,

Thank you for the collection of log files!  I've forwarded on to our developers for review.

Thank you,
Matt
Visnet
I am experiencing the same here, with a thought note, which I send alreadye earlier to Matt. this note was already having an issue with jumping cursor, but yesterday it erased all text in the note. It is a very important note in my brain, and I hate the thought that I could loose everything there. I am at the point of no return in this TB9 brain, I cannot go back to TB8 as too many changes have occurred already [eek]

I was lucky to have a backup where I could search for this notes.html of pretty recent date. I have put this back in the thought folder. But I want to add some text in this note to bring it up to date, but everytime, whether typing v-e-r-y slow or fast, it will erase all over and over. 
So I guess I will try and copy this all to a word document, as I need the data to be really save....

Wim
mcaton
Wim,

I do have a copy of your Brain for testing.  What is the thought name where you lost the Note content?  I'll focus my testing in that area!

Thanks,
Matt
mikesingleton
Hi Matt,

I have encountered this problem today. I start typing and after two letters the curser jumps to the top of the note window and deletes all text or it jumps to the beginning of the line and after typing a few more letters the curser jumps to the top and deletes all text.

This happens in more than one brain and in all thoughts. I have not been adding notes (text) for the last few days so never notice this before.

It makes the notes section totally unusable.

Mike
mcaton
Mike,

Can you post a copy of your Output.log file after you experience the cursor jump and text deletion?  Just click on Help > Open Log Directory.

Thank you,
Matt
mikesingleton
Log file attached
Visnet
mcaton wrote:
Wim,

I do have a copy of your Brain for testing.  What is the thought name where you lost the Note content?  I'll focus my testing in that area!

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

I did send you the large brain, but also a brain 8 with only one note in it, that is the one to use as this is the note I am referring to. Or search in the larger brain to "@TODO , Project JowiHueHS3"

Thanks,

Wim
Cerebrum
mcaton wrote:
Engineers are aware and taking a closer look!
Any light at the end of the tunnel? [wink]
mikesingleton
Hi Matt,

My use of the brain is severely hampered right now because of the 'Notes" issue I reported earlier. I sent my logs a few days ago and have not heard back.
The curser in the notes field is jumping around as I type. Sometimes to the beginning of the line, sometimes to the top of the notes window deleting all the text. In some thoughts I cannot get the cursor into the notes field - it remains in the search field.
I am using the latest build of Windows 10 as you can see from the log I sent you. I have no problem typing in any other program. Oh, this same behavior is happening on BOTH my computers.

Mike
mcaton
Sorry, no update yet.  But as I've mentioned, this is a known issue and the engineers are actively researching this issue.

Thanks,
Matt 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software