Cerebrum
I was using the Notes Editor to compose some notes for various suggestions in TB9 and I gave up.

At random intervals, the cursor moved while I was typing and went to the beginning of the paragraph that I was composing, or sometimes to the previous paragraph. The text that I was typing was now in the wrong place but Undo didn't fix the problem.

This happened about six or seven times before I gave up.

I'm using version 9.0.144.0 on Windows 10.
Kriggel23
I'm using same version of TB9 on macOS, 10.12.1, and do have the very same effect time time by time.

At least two times I lost the complete text within notes; undo was no help, but a "nodo".
My "workaround" for longer texts (with more than one word ...): I first write the text using TextEdit, than copy&paste the whole thing into notes.

Kriggel23
zenrain
I'm also using macOS 10.12.1 and don't have this issue (and am an extensive notes user).

I have Show Word Count on, Check Spelling as you type off and don't have the Update displayed content on hover set. Not sure if any of these could be the culprits, but sharing to try and help the troubleshooting process.
macOS 10.12.3
TheBrain 9.0.157
Cerebrum
Thanks zenrain. I've checked my settings but the issue is sporadic and, for now, I don't have anything else to type in Notes. I usually just copy and paste info from various sources. 

Kriggel23, your experience is not encouraging. I've wondered why the development team has spent so much effort on Notes (there are many other text editors available) when there's so much work to be done on TheBrain's unique functionality.  

zenrain
Quote: I've wondered why the development team has spent so much effort on Notes (there are many other text editors available) when there's so much work to be done on TheBrain's unique functionality.  

Firm base, good house. Easy to build on.
Weak base, not so good house. Hard to build on.
Base outsourced to different company, good house. Hard to build on. [smile]
macOS 10.12.3
TheBrain 9.0.157
mcaton
Thank you everyone for reporting and for the feedback.  The "jumping cursor" has been fixed and returned a few times now.  It's obviously in it's "return" state!  Our engineers are looking into this now.

Zen is right, our Notes pane in version 8 was built on someone else's platform.  It was hard to troubleshoot and even harder to repair when needed.  We're thrilled to be creating a home grown Notes interface from the groud up.

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
99% of the time, the notes cursor moving in the notes editor is due to the spellcheck. Turning this feature off will make the cursor behave properly.

Cerebrum wrote: I've wondered why the development team has spent so much effort on Notes....

If it was possible to take an editor off the shelf and get it to do all the things we need it to do while still being in control (able to fix bugs and rely on it into the future), we would have done that. While we are leveraging as much pre-existing solid foundation work as we can, TheBrain's notes editor has many requirements that make it impossible for us to use any existing editor off-the-shelf. For example, here are a few things people may take for granted but actually require a lot of work and cannot be supplied by any existing editor: cross-platform, embedded images (with support for pasting and syncing of image data), checkboxes, links to thoughts, embedded videos, spellcheck using OS native integrated dictionary, automatic loading and saving without causing delays in the UI, etc...

Regards,
-Harlan
rogerwalk
I am experiencing since v144 the same jumping cursor while typing into the Notes (no such behavior observed with the versions 137-143 that I all used for Notes). It happens every 2-3 sec (when the Notes are saved in the background?) when I type text/sentences and it is driving me crazy. In my case the un-checking of the spellcheck does NOT stop this.

There is a similar and maybe related issue when I insert line breaks with Enter or Shift-Enter. When I continue writing in the new line or if I paste text into the new line, the cursor and text always jumps back to the previous line.

I am using a PC with Win10.
Roger
pshanks
I'm using V144 with the spellcheck OFF and the cursor is still bouncing around.

Windows 7 SP1, Windows 10 (V1607), OS X V10.12.3
TheBrain 8.0.2.2
TheBrain Beta 9.0.158.0

Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

vmilhoan
I have spellcheck off and have had many issues with cursor jumping around since version 144. I am doing basic text typing. Probably 90% of the time after it jumps around, then all of the text in the note is deleted and this cannot be undone. I have paid careful attention to what I'm doing after it jumps (I usually am just doing a few backspaces to delete the characters that went into the wrong place and trying to move the cursor back to where I wanted it to be) and then the full text of the note is cleared.
mcaton
Thank you again everyone for the feedback.  I've confirmed some cursor jumping activity even when the Spellcheck feature is off.  I'll escalate this issue.

Thank you,
Matt

rogerwalk
Dear TheBrain Team, PLEASE fix the bouncing cursor (and the other major formatting issues) with the "new" Notes text processor! This makes the Notes tool un-usable at this time. I am back to Vers.8 with its third-party word processing tool that was not so "cool" looking than the new one, BUT IT WORKED. Please escalate, escalate, escalate.
Thank you,
Roger
Roger
mcaton
Thanks Roger,

Engineers are aware and taking a closer look!

Thanks,
Matt
vmilhoan
Hi Matt - just coming back over from another thread where we were asked to keep some of the notes issues separate. Apparently the jumping cursor is in the "fixing" state. I want to make sure that the notes text being erased after the cursor jumps is part of this fix. Once the cursor jumps, the notes text is erased, and gone forever. A restart of TB doesn't bring them back.
mcaton
Victoria,

Thank you for the clarification.  I'll confirm that this is documented on the Jumping Cursor ticket.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software