MaryTown
My Mac recently had issues and I've got a new computer. I've restored from backup the files in the Brains directory. I was using and I'm still using v. 9.

I made a mistake and started the Brain after installing before I restored the files. So I had a U01 folder. I preserved that folder but made the newly restored files as the U01 folder and all sub folders.

However,  when I start the Brain, it has an error and doesn't show any brains (it says "loading" but no title.

How do I get the Brains from the backup from the old system? Note that this is on a Mac.

Thanks

Mary
zenrain
I'm assuming you don't use WebBrain, otherwise you could just log in and synch them. 

Email support. I believe if you just restore the files it won't read them as there is additional data elsewhere (or if you have access to an archive of the entire old machine's HD, restore the ~/.TheBrain/v9 Folder.

Or better yet, if you have an Brain archive file, remove the folders you manually placed in there (I would move them, not delete until you have the data restored) and File > Import from the archive. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
MaryTown
Ahh the secret sauce is the .TheBrain directory. I didn't know about that. Using that I seem to have gotten farther along.

FYI - I have the WebBrain service. I didn't put these brains there before the computer decided to be anti-social.

Thanks

Mary
MaryTown
Now my next question is do I need to merge the new system's Documents/Brains/U01 with the old computer's folder of the same name. If so, how do I get it to read new computer's B01 data?

Thanks

Mary
zenrain
No, don't do that, it might have created a new folder with a different name which would combine two different things together and cause problems. The best avenue is to restore the entire .brain folder and the entire database folder and go from there. 
If this is not feasible and you can't restore from archive files you have created your best recourse is to email support. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
mcaton
Mary,

Please contact us directly at support@thebrain.com to schedule a one on one web meeting to review your setup.  I'm sure we can get all of your Brains back in working order if you have a backup.  This process isn't necessarily intended to do manually - to a Brain tech looking over your shoulder may be helpful. [smile]

Thanks,
Matt

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software