rengel
AttachmentArea3.png 
Reinhard, TB 10.0.36.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
metta
+1 for both requests
eeik
Have I missed something? Both of these actions are already possible, both from the view in the screenshot above as well as the Attachments as List view.

I suppose I see this request as making these two capabilities first class citizens with their own icons and, sadly, would doubt the team would be prioritizing these capabilities given the existing product design. Being the eternal optimist that I am however, I would love to think that the team could get these asks prioritized and while doing so, also include the "explorer context menu" option (also as a first class feature beneath an icon) to enable a one click option for pulling up the full richness of whatever Windows Explorer context menu options a user might have enabled.

Features Already Present.png    
rengel
You said, you were an UI expert, didn't you?

Clicking an additional icon to delete a file is always easier than opening a context menu and then choosing a delete action.
Have you ever taken a screenshot using TheBrain? Then you might have realized that every screenshot is saved using a 'Screenshot<n>' name. It's a litte cumbersome to change this name after the screenshot has been taken. Why not ask for the name before the screenshot is saved? It's about streamlining the workflow....

eeik
I'm all for streamlining workflow and I'm also all for proper triage and prioritization of feature enhancements in context of MANY other feature enhancement requests in the queue...

Something I did overlook in your original post was that the rename image w/ single click first class action was actually already present in your screenshot ... the time savings you're suggesting is actually a new hindrance in my book as the introduction of a new dialog box roadblock when pasting an image into a thought would be maddening in my workflow. I rarely ever wish to change the name of screenshot image attached to a thought. Screenshot.png is perfectly fine for 90+% of my thoughts. Of course introducing yet another checkbox in the Preferences would be the proper way to solve this workflow conflict, just as I've previously suggested within the "navigate to existing thought by default" post.

AttachmentArea3.png 

As to your response to me ... I'm a little confused by this:
rengel wrote:
You said, you were an UI expert, didn't you?

I'd love for you to review my former posts, read them thoroughly, and cite evidence for your quarrelsome courtier's reply. "Expert" is one of those funny words, one that I give very little deference towards in principle or practice ... and most certainly would never point to as sole justification for my input on feature suggestions ... ESPECIALLY when I have no formal influence over the project team. Make your case with data, make your case with elegant visual designs that you hammer out in your free time and gift to the team, make your case with no expectations of ever having anything you throw over the fence actually being implemented, but NEVER claim to be an expert and expect anyone to care.

To be frank, as optimistic as I try to remain, the hypothetical feature backlog that I've seen and threads I've participated in within these forums compared with the progress that the team has made in rolling out new features leaves me dismally expectation-less towards most of these features ever making it into the product even years from now. Again, read through some of my former posts, I've pulled forward feature suggestions from almost 10 years ago that are still not yet implemented.

The feature you're suggesting is a valid one, I wasn't intending to negate it in any way, but rather surface some readily available alternatives, most of which are, from a UX perspective "adequate" relative to many of the areas of the product that at the moment are needing far more love than what you describe. Your own post notes that "it's a little cumbersome to change this name" ... which, as a product manager, would seem to me to immediately lower the priority relative to many of the other feature suggestions within the forum. My input was meant to be additive should the team actually consider this feature (i.e. add Win Explorer context menu access when cracking open this code) and also pragmatic from a prioritization standpoint.

There are ALWAYS trade-off discussions going on behind the scenes that neither you nor I have visibility into. Personally, I'm running into incessant System.OutOfMemoryException exceptions that are crashing the app for me at least a dozen times per day at the moment ... so ... yeah, there's that.
rengel
@eeik
Quote:
I'd love for you to review my former posts, read them thoroughly, and cite evidence for your quarrelsome courtier's reply. "Expert" is one of those funny words, one that I give very little deference towards in principle or practice ... and most certainly would never point to as sole justification for my input on feature suggestions ... ESPECIALLY when I have no formal influence over the project team. Make your case with data, make your case with elegant visual designs that you hammer out in your free time and gift to the team, make your case with no expectations of ever having anything you throw over the fence actually being implemented, but NEVER claim to be an expert and expect anyone to care.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse and/or to offend you. In another thread (http://forums.thebrain.com/post/physical-location-as-a-universal-metadata-type-10051663?pid=1307789294) you write 'My partner and I (both UX designers and product designers)...'. In my book, somebody who calls himself a 'UX designer' also considers himself to be competent in the UX domain. For me, that's the definition on an 'expert', and I don't attach some deeper connotation to that term, but YMMV. I meant that as an 'UI designer/expert' you should (and did!) understand my concerns. Anyway, I don't want to quarrel about semantics. So again, sorry!

rengel
@eeik
eeik wrote:
... Personally, I'm running into incessant System.OutOfMemoryException exceptions that are crashing the app for me at least a dozen times per day at the moment ...

Do you mean, TheBrain crashes with these exceptions? I've never experienced an OutOfMemoryException with TheBrain; maybe more memory will help? I'm using 16GB of main memory and sometimes running two instances of TheBrain in parallel.

eeik
rengel wrote:
... competent in the UX domain. For me, that's the definition on an 'expert', and I don't attach some deeper connotation to that term, but YMMV. I meant that as an 'UI designer/expert' you should (and did!) understand my concerns. Anyway, I don't want to quarrel about semantics. So again, sorry!

@rengel ... I see and thank you for your clarification ... I'm with you 👍🌞 For the purposes of these forums, I'm just a power user who happens to also be a UX designer, product manager, developer / technologist, etc. with big hopes for the product that I love so much. I wish the product team could be a bit more nimble in their iteration cycles and more expansive in their thinking, so, with anything I contribute, I try to provide as much detail, as much visual clarity, and as much UX justification as possible in this distant user echo chamber to make the most of the team's cycles and increase the likelihood that they will consider the suggestions if they even peruse these forums as they gear up for new feature work.

... as for the OutOfMemoryException thing, yes, full hard system crash Sev1 issue which blows away my database history state (and mental focus) and requires a restart. I too have 16GB installed and this issue for me has only recently begun on the latest build (10.0.36.0). Perhaps it's a system configuration issue on my end, or some sort of regression issue introduced that the team is also tracking down on their own test builds ... however exhaustive those tests may or may not be. Given my lack of influence or visibility into the sausage making @ TheBrain, Inc., I'm reliant upon their testing and their work with me on this issue within support tickets (yes, I've logged the issue and shared the exception info there).
rengel
eeik wrote:
... I wish the product team could be a bit more nimble in their iteration cycles and more expansive in their thinking, so, with anything I contribute, I try to provide as much detail, as much visual clarity, and as much UX justification as possible in this distant user echo chamber to make the most of the team's cycles and increase the likelihood that they will consider the suggestions if they even peruse these forums as they gear up for new feature work.

I've been using TheBrain for more than a decade now and have been trying to contribute for about seven years. Personally, I've given up the hope that the input via this forum has much of an impact. Even simple and small UX things that are ridiculously easy (:= in a couple of minutes)  to fix (i.e the order or the naming of the same commands in different context menus) aren't considered let alone fixed. At other times I have to restrain myself from harsh comments, if some 'authority' tells me some things couldn't be done because of some alleged 'system constraints', simply because s/he doesn't want to do them, because they are not on the priority list (what I would understand), i.e. the look and feel of the types and tags lists of the different 'Set Type' and 'Set Tags' commands...

eeik
rengel wrote:
Personally, I've given up the hope that the input via this forum has much of an impact. Even simple and small UX things that are ridiculously easy to fix aren't considered let alone fixed.

This makes me sad to read, but to be fair, I'm feeling drawn in that direction myself. I'll check back in with you in another few years and either joyfully look back at how far the product has come ... or try to recall some semblance of my early ill-placed optimism ... I can't quite tell which is more likely *yet* 😉

Post Check In.png 
ruudhein
I was a very dedicated user of Evernote 1.0 That is before Phil Libkin, before the web versions. When Evernote changed to what it is now, and the timeline was removed and all the automatic, intelligent filters we could set, I and others engaged in a long discussion. To no avail. Since then Evernote users have been asking for simple things on the forums that have been pushed back or ignored, sometimes for 10 years now.

From that, and other experiences like it, including here, I've learned that I'm best of using software as-is. Don't hold out for changes towards what you would like, although changes towards what you wish wasn't are still very likely. It's not a negative view; it just enables me to use software as-is, work within its constraints, and don't wish for something else down the line.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | TheBrain v10.0.40.0
metta
Good reality check, Ruud.

Without this perspective I suspect many of us would be subject to the well-illustrated disappointment dynamic that Eric has shared. (Thanks again, Eric.)
ruudhein
Forgot to add -- I too like my image attachments with reasonable names which will make sense if/when I export a brain. As I'm on Windows and it's already the common shortcut there, I've assigned F2 to rename attachment. Screenshot? Added attachment? F2 ; boom, rename 🙂
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | TheBrain v10.0.40.0
metta
Great! Thanks for the helpful tip, Ruud. 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software