Lunieth
I am using build (115) with Windows 10

I have noticed several thoughts within the Brain 9 that have lost their notes completely.  
Not sure whether an output file will be useful to you as this seems random and does not come after any (noticeable) event.  Any attachments remain in place.

It is a bit worrying though, I do not feel confident of the Notes feature in the new version at the moment.  Fortunately this is on a relatively new Brain, with only around 1000 thoughts, however, there are at least 4 of these thoughts where the notes have gone.  There does seem to be an entry of change of note in the thought history, however, this change has not been made by me.

Update.. This has just got worse with notes swapping thoughts - more notes disappearing, and eventually brain crashing.
Output file attached.

Harlan
We have fixed similar issues where notes displays the wrong note or fails to display a note where there should be one. Sometimes, it has been a problem in the code (which we have since fixed). Other times it is the "Update content on hover" option in Preferences > UI. Try turning that off to be sure.

Hopefully the "Update content on hover" option is the cause of your troubles. If not, then if there is nothing in the history, it is likely that the notes were not actually changed and that the problems you are seeing are actually with the display of the data, not the data itself. Please quit and restart, then see if the notes are back where you are expecting them to be. Another way to check to see what the actual data is as opposed to what may be erroneously displayed is to open the thought folder and look in the "Notes" subfolder.

The crash is most likely not related. Please post the Error Report files and we can look into that (Help > Open Log Directory > Error Reports).
Regards,
-Harlan
Lunieth
Thanks I will try out your suggestions

Here are the Error reports:

Lunieth
The notes have definitely gone - there is an audit record in the history too, indicating a note change.  But this change was not by me.  

I am suspicious of the "Update content on hover" and think that this might be the issue, as on my laptop, there is often a significant lag with this feature.  

I did not realise you could turn it off, I have done now and I will monitor how things go. (sadly as it is a useful feature).
Harlan
Hmm. Sorry to hear that. We made extensive changes to the way the hover feature interacts with notes and with how notes are saved to avoid this type of problem in 9.0.106 (released Sept 10 - issue #2780). Is it possible the problems you are describing happened prior to that version?
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
A possible fix to the error logs you posted is included in the next release. FYI, all the crashes you have experienced are caused by the file preview feature, which is at present not that stable unfortunately.
Regards,
-Harlan
fernandopcoelho
Hi,

I have a similar problem witch happens in my windows 7 laptop, but not on my iMac at home.
The notes sometime disappear, but also sometimes when I get back to the though I can see the not again, but most of the time the windows note is frozen. I cannot see the cursor and apparently I can not edit the notes. But if I try to type something, even without seeing nothing happening, the words count continue to increase and eventually if I come back to that thought the note was updated with the words I have typen. Very annoying...
The bottom line is that currently the use of the notes is impossible.
This is already happening after a dozen updates.

Thanks in advance,

Fernando Coelho
mcaton
Fernando,

Thank you for posting.  I'll spend some time focusing on the Notes in a Windows 7 machine.  Can you confirm that you are running the latest 9.0.117 build?  Also, can you see this behavior in a new, small, test Brain that has just been created?  Or is this only happening in a larger Brain that you may have imported from v8?

Thank you,
Matt
fernandopcoelho
Hi Matt,

I am using the last version of TheBrian. In fact I am always updating with the hope that the problem would be resolved. The issue happens with all brains including a brand new empty brain.

Fernando
Harlan
Sounds like a rendering issue with the integrated browser.  Unfortunately we have low likelihood of being able to fix the problem if we cannot reproduce it here...

Is there anything special about the notes you are entering? Just plain text? Or images/videos/etc? Are you typing things in manually, or cutting and pasting from other sources (web pages, documents, files from your desktop etc)? Does it happen right away or only after TB has been open for a while? If you close and reopen, does it work for a while? Can you upload a small sample brain on which this is occurring and let u know on what specific thoughts please. What are the localization settings on your Windows machine?

Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
mcaton
Fernando,

I'm also happy to schedule a web meeting with you to see if we can witness the notes issue, while it's happening live.  Please let me know if you'll be available anytime today or tomorrow for a 20 - 30 minute meeting.

Thank you,
Matt
fernandopcoelho
Hi all,

I have discovered the issue in my setup.
I had the font scaling in the control panel of my windows 7 machine at 125%. If I switch to 100%, the issue I have reported is not there any more.
Nevertheless would be nice of course if we can use TheBrain 9.0 notes independently of the font scaling...

Regards,
Fernando
Harlan
Nice work Fernando. We should be able to track down the issue with that information. Thanks for your help. This issue has been logged as #3015.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
I have verified that the scale setting is the cause of the problem. Setting it back to 100% allows notes to work properly. Please do so until we are able to fix the notes editor to work with other scales.

Windows 10:
  • Right click on desktop, then select Display Settings and move the slider to the leftmost position. Sign out and back in to allow all programs to adjust to the new settings
Windows 7:
  • Right click on desktop, then select Personalize, then click Display near the bottom left corner, and select "Smaller - 100%". Click Apply, the sign out and back in.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software