wvdb
Ok, I've been trying to come to grips with the new notes functionality, but I can't stand it anymore. Let's be blunt, the current notes widget is:
- highly unresponsive: it e.g. several seconds before I can start typing in the notes of a newly created thought
- has a horrid look and feel (read very windowzy)
- has a ugly default style sheet
- it's not cross-platform (which shows e.g. in the fact the the copy shortcut is ctrl-c, which only makes sense in a windows world, it's in fact quit a feat to be so platform specific in Java...)
- it's language handling / localization is messed up
- lacks many of the basic things even the default OS X editor has to offer

I think back in say 1996 it would have made a great notes editor, but it is way behind contemporary offerings (at least on Mac). Honestly, it does not do PersonalBrain any good. The plex is so visionary, it has always been like 25 years ahead of everything else (in particular windows explorer and finder), but the accompanying notes tools have not been up to par. Please consider an alternative. This EditLive! (which I think you're using) thing is simply not good enough for PersonalBrain! Please pull the notes up to the next level, or at least offer something that is at least as good was what our OSs provide by default these days, such as the default OS X Cocoa text editor, which offers all that a decent contemporary notes tools has to offer and more, and which is way better than the current notes tool in PB.
igoldsmid

I have to agree - the current PB4 Notes 'tool' is really quite horrible  - totally the opposite of everything else in PB4. I am sure, as with everything else, the PB4 team has plans to make it hugely better - but sooner would be much better than later.

Right now I still find I have to make use of alternative notes tools, like UltraRecall, or OneNote - and I wish that was not necessary. In addition, I think it is a necessity for Note hyperlinks to include being able to add hyperlinks to Thoughts - also it would be great if it will be possible to add a special kind of attachment to a Thought, that when activated, navigates to a text position or "anchor" inside a Note in any Thought.

In due course, I am hoping that it will be possible to faithfully save web pages into Notes - and have them reproduce like the originals - thereby doing away with the need to use other local web archiving tools - for example, even EverNote free saves web pages a great deal better than PB4.

Thanks, IJG

IJG
NickHowe
Ditto to that.  Pasting things into the notes window is a game of change.  Sometime images paste, sometimes they do not.  Sometimes text won't even paste.  Trying to apply formatting is a nightmare.  The HTML code generated by formatting is pretty ugly.
Initial activation of the notes window takes about 12-15 seconds after first clicking in the window and is accompanied by the disk being absolutely hammered.  Word 2003 starts up quicker than the notes window in PB4.
hock
I agree with fully with the harsh comments regarding the current notes tab. Why is there no option to "insert image"?

One interim stop gap measure until a notes editor can be implemented that matches PB4's excellence might be to add to the Notes/File Menu the option to set and "open external html editor".
hock/london

Win7pro, PB 7.0.4.5, J - 1.7.0
spytech128
I can agree with all of the above. I had mentioned, with Harlan answering, to the ability for Notes to allow hyperlinks to connect to Thoughts; to which he said that we will have that feature in a future version. I have also had the serious problem of trying to copy and paste text from webpages into Notes (PB4.0.4.9) where nothing would paste, over and over again. I had, at one point, stepped away from my PC and came back several minutes later and tried it again, and to my surprise, it pasted. Go figure? Do we have to wait a determined amount of time to copy and paste into Notes? That would be quite unfortunate. Like everyone else above, I would love to see the Notes feature be on par with PB4; as for now, it is much less than expected. It would truly be great to copy a webpage into Notes, with all of its formatting and layout intact, like the way EverNote 2 can paste just about anything into it; I would love to see PB4's Notes have that ability. I would rather have the ability to have the webpage saved in PB4's Notes rather than just a link to a webpage that can change or get deleted by the website's webmaster, at any time; making my PB4 webpage link absolutely useless.
Spytech128
Harlan
Thanks for the feedback. We're aware of the limitations of the notes tool. Unfortunately at this point, we have not been able to find any Java based alternative that is any better. If anyone has any suggestions for a good Java based editor, we would love to hear them.

Otherwise, we'll likely wind up having to use a native editor on each platform, which will take some time and delay development of other features...
Regards,
-Harlan
spytech128
Once again, I would like to emphasize this request: "In due course, I am hoping that it will be possible to faithfully save web pages into Notes - and have them reproduce like the originals - thereby doing away with the need to use other local web archiving tools - for example, even EverNote free saves web pages a great deal better than PB4." - (comment by igoldsmid)
I really like the way EverNote allows you to just right-click in Explorer or Firefox and "Add to EverNote." It would be really nice if we could do the same with PB4, giving us an option to save as a link or save the page (as a functional web page) or a selection in Notes. I truly need that feature, terribly! The pasting of web pages or sections within a web page into Notes creates all sorts of encapsulated boxes that makes the end result something that requires a lot of editing to make it look close to its original web page. Please, tell me you have been trying to find a way to remedy this issue.

Spytech128
spytech128
Also, with Notes, in the FILE drop-down list are SAVE, PRINT and, OPEN IN BROWSER. I only see a shortcut key for Save. Are there shortcut keys for Print and Open In Browser? That would be nice.
Spytech128
vicanto
(storing and retriving bits of web pages in notes)
I have a dream; notes something like Net Snippets , OneNote, EverNote, onfolio...
Harlan
Yes, we know that this is an issue that is important to many. We will be doing some things to make rendering of HTML more accurate in a future version.
Regards,
-Harlan
Netsaver

Hi gentlemen,

please have a look at the other forum ('PB uses / Insert Object ... in notes' thread) where a similar discussion has been developped, mostly focusing on Html, Xml importing from external sources.

Anyway, in the meanwhile be vewy quiet (as Tcahill would say), being in a hurry doesn't bring right advices, even to the best software designers...

PB has embedded a lot of new functions and a solution for a better styled, functional and format-flexible notes tool will certainly be found.

Regards
Is this your house?
I'm Wiston Wolf, I solve problems.
JosefBetancourt
I just posted a entry here on how to embed a wiki into the Brain.  It may be of interest in this discussion.

--- Josef

tcahill
Netsaver wrote: Hi gentlemen,
please have a look at the other forum ('PB uses / Insert Object ... in notes' thread)

Here is the link.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
tcahill
Harlan wrote: Thanks for the feedback. We're aware of the limitations of the notes tool. Unfortunately at this point, we have not been able to find any Java based alternative that is any better. If anyone has any suggestions for a good Java based editor, we would love to hear them. Otherwise, we'll likely wind up having to use a native editor on each platform, which will take some time and delay development of other features...

Harlan, I know it is late in the game for this, but could you highlight some of the requirements that you need met? Josef Betancourt has got me wondering about the JAVA requirement itself. Obviously, PB is a Java application, but perhaps a slick work around would be for the addition of a new feature, similar to Notes --> File --> open in browser, that would be "edit in browser" that would then launch the note's contents in a FCKeditor editor window (or similar browser-based editor) that then saved the result back to the thought's note? Note that FCKeditor has a commercial license available.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Harlan
The browser based editors are not really an option. Although they have good performance characteristics, their browser based nature makes them a poor choice for an embedded application (we use one of these in BrainEKP and it has it's own share of issues).

Java is not an absolute requirement, but if we were to go with a native editor, it means that it will take a lot more dedicated efforts. We have few tricks up our sleeves in this area however. More on this later in 4.X.

Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software