vlad1
Currently, to see the Link Type of a link in the Plex, you have to hover over it. You can only see the Link Type of a single link at a time. It would be good to have an option to simultaneously display the Link Types of all links currently displayed in the Plex. This option should implemented so that it is easy to toggle on and off.
FransJehoul

Hello,

My link types are color-coded. So I recognize them by color

In my workflow i use
  • red for the flow
  • light brown for the base thought

Regards,

Frans

FransJehoul
I think it is more confusing when PB assigns different colors. I can read all my linktypes by color in the context they are shown. I have a green linktype between thoughts of my horses and I have also another green linktype in a complete different group of thoughts. They don't and never will interfere each...

Regards
tcahill
Now, if we could get the ability to edit the line properties (as you might see in a diagram or flowchart application). Being somewhat color blind, I'm challenged to discriminate Reds/Purples or Yellows/Greens, etc.

Now I'd have no difficulty distinguishing a faint dashed line from a double line. I'd really like to toggle direction arrows. Bezier curve links could be cool, too.

And, yes, it would be very handy to be able to display a list of link types and report by them.

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
jostber
tcahill wrote: Now, if we could get the ability to edit the line properties (as you might see in a diagram or flowchart application). Being somewhat color blind, I'm challenged to discriminate Reds/Purples or Yellows/Greens, etc.

Now I'd have no difficulty distinguishing a faint dashed line from a double line. I'd really like to toggle direction arrows. Bezier curve links could be cool, too.

And, yes, it would be very handy to be able to display a list of link types and report by them.

Yes, this kind of more advanced link functionality is something that is really needed in PB.

TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

jostber
I would like to have more control of the appearance of links, and to indicate if a link is special in some way, f.ex. having a label. A way to do this could be to set the link to stipled.

jostber
tcahill wrote: Now, if we could get the ability to edit the line properties (as you might see in a diagram or flowchart application). Being somewhat color blind, I'm challenged to discriminate Reds/Purples or Yellows/Greens, etc.<br><br>Now I'd have no difficulty distinguishing a faint dashed line from a double line. I'd really like to toggle direction arrows. Bezier curve links could be cool, too.<br><br>And, yes, it would be very handy to be able to display a list of link types and report by them.<br><br>

Hope there is focus on updated link functionality like this in the new upcoming PB 5.1. Or at least in v.6.

tcahill
tcahill wrote: I'd really like to toggle direction arrows.

Another indication that directionality is already stored in the link data. I had made a link from 3 to 2, and the link's properties show " 3 > 2 ".

There it is. An arrow showing direction. That would be good info in the plex.

Click image for larger version - Name: link_direction.png, Views: 547, Size: 29.71 KB
Adathome

tcahill wrote: tcahill wrote: I'd really like to toggle direction arrows.

Another indication that directionality is already stored in the link data. I had made a link from 3 to 2, and the link's properties show " 3 > 2 ".

Change active thought in "2" now you see "2 > 3" the direction you see is only the direction in the plex on that moment with that particular active thought.

This is not the direction as stored in PB database (idA --> idB).
see http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3502486
Regards, Ad Divide knowledge = multiply knowledge (Windows 10 -  TB8 / TB9)
Dictatorfish
Adathome wrote: tcahill wrote:

Change active thought in "2" now you see "2 > 3" the direction you see is only the direction in the plex on that moment with that particular active thought. This is not the direction as stored in PB database (idA --> idB).

I think he means to make the actual label itself read "3 > 2", rather than just just ">".  I guess it works, but it's makes for a really cumbersome workaround if you have long thought names like I do.
jostber
tcahill wrote: tcahill wrote: I'd really like to toggle direction arrows.

Wonder if this link directionality and a visual indicator is a upcoming feature in PB?

dyslucksia
I'd like to endorse all suggestions made by vlad1 and others here for presenting a list of link types in the Plex.

Right now I don't have more than half a dozen link types, max, because I need to remember their colors as well as their names. I hope it won't be too long before we get a KBA to display a table in the Plex.

In the meantime, my solution has been to set aside in each Brain a small sample of link types to which I can refer:

I find the Hidden type (link color same as background) useful to reduce Plex clutter occasionally, but it's nice to know that hovering over any Thought connected to the active Thought by a typed link displays the link label (as well as the Thought label if there is one). This immediately makes the link more meaningful.

I would really like to see an option for all links from the active Thought to display their link labels permanently (until the option is turned off), not just when hovered over. I recall jostber was the first to suggest this and it would help greatly when as sometimes happens the reason for two Thoughts being linked is not intuitively clear.

Until we get better management of links, my suggestion to users is to assign numbered prefixes to the most frequently used link types so that they stay at the top of the "list", and from then on, seeing that we can't separate link labels from link types, whenever you need to describe the special relationship between two linked objects, go ahead and waste a new link type on each one; you have no alternative. However, the small color palette now present is a help as it remembers the existing link colors. So you might end up with 20 different link types of the same color, each with a name appropriate to its location. Don't bother trying to search for an existing link type to meet your needs; just go ahead and create a new one.

Another trick that's helped me in the past is to use a greater thickness than the default to signify that the link contains information in its type/label, so that I can tell this without having to hover over each one to find out.

Hopefully one day we'll be able to discard all these kludgy workarounds and treat links as they deserve to be treated.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
tcahill
dyslucksia wrote: In the meantime, my solution has been to set aside in each Brain a small sample of link types to which I can refer:

That is a very handy work-around, although it does require some diligence to maintain it.

This could be made automatic, if the link type chooser menu provided a sample of link properties (like an icon representation) beside each existing link.

dyslucksia wrote: I find the Hidden type (link color same as background) useful to reduce Plex clutter occasionally,

That is a good one! There have been many times that I've wanted to turn off the display of certain links. Of course, a uniform plex background is required for this to work. How about a transparent link line?

dyslucksia wrote:
...and it would help greatly when as sometimes happens the reason for two Thoughts being linked is not intuitively clear.

Extended link properties would help. Do I remember correctly Halan writing they were just thoughts too? I've always wanted to be able to annotate links.
dyslucksia wrote:

Until we get better management of links, my suggestion to users is to assign numbered prefixes to the most frequently used link types so that they stay at the top of the "list", and from then on, seeing that we can't separate link labels from link types, whenever you need to describe the special relationship between two linked objects, go ahead and waste a new link type on each one; you have no alternative.

How about:
1 - Link Master
1.1 - Link sub
1.1.1 - Sub link sub

Of course the sorting gets screwed up above the number 9, because when you sort alphabetically, 10 is less than 2. So it works better to do

a - Link Master
a.a - Link sub
a.a.a - Sub link sub

dyslucksia wrote:

Another trick that's helped me in the past is to use a greater thickness than the default to signify that the link contains information in its type/label, so that I can tell this without having to hover over each one to find out.

I primarily use varying thickness to differentiate principle links from  main less consequential ones.

dyslucksia wrote:

Hopefully one day we'll be able to discard all these kludgy workarounds and treat links as they deserve to be treated.

Yes, it is time that we all stood up for links! We need to contact the Colbert Nation. Tea-baggers, step aside.
Adathome
tcahill wrote:
Yes, it is time that we all stood up for links! We need to contact the Colbert Nation. Tea-baggers, step aside.

I am happy to read this but all the time i asked for more advanced link-type features there wasn't any reaction of the Brain team

So how do we get a answer from Harlan & Co. ?
The have the policy don't tell anything until they publish a beta version with the asked feature.
Regards, Ad Divide knowledge = multiply knowledge (Windows 10 -  TB8 / TB9)
jostber
More functionality to links, link labels and thought labels could really boost PB usability. These components are somewhat underdeveloped in the existing PB, so whatever new in this area would be welcome.

A link is an entity that can potentially have many features, several not available now:

- Directionality (pointers)
- Description field (link label), preferrably multi-line, independent of its type
- Searchability
- Weighting by importance/priority
- Visibility, including hiding and stipling
- Date stamp
- Sorting
- Show label by keyboard
- Linking/unlinking by keyboard
- Link navigation by keyboard

Any more?

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software