BobBlum
I LOVE DISTANT THOTS!  they are a real asset with kilobrains and they
paint on the screen with NO SETTLE TIME.  (I never usexpanded thots,
cuz of the settle time).

SO ....  I was disappointed to find that Options>View> Distant Thoughts
was deleted from PB4 beta  4.5.0.7   .   PLEASE PUT IT BACK.
Its really handy to be able to toggle distant thoughts without opening
the expanded thots menu bar.

Next ....  I hate giving up screen real estate for the Expanded thots menu bar,  so I always turn it off.  Look at that menu ... the middle 6 inches is just
GRAY ... USELESS.

((CORROLARY SUGGESTION:  Even the main tool bar (File Edit Thought....)
is mainly GRAY (and uselessly consumming real estate) ...  so,
why not also move it elsewhere.)) ...   Bob
twospoons
You can use the + and - buttons in the toolbar to switch between distant thoughts view and normal view or you can right click on the plex and choose the expand all or collapse all options.

Perhaps the tool bar could be modular and moveable/dockable like the MS Office application toolbars?
Wes
mcaton
Bob,

Nice speaking with you this afternoon

You can still right click on the background (or click on Options > View) and simply click on EXPAND ALL.  This Normal View/Expand All setting is the new equivalent to Expanded View.

Please let us know how this new organizational change works for you.

Thanks!
Matt
BobBlum
Hi Matt and Wes,
    Thanks for your replies.  I now see that the only change in 4507 was
a name change...  previously the drop down Options>View  said
"distant thoughts".  Now it says Expand All/Collapse All.  That's ok with me
now that I know.  (I was fooled by the ambiguity btwn  "Expand All" and
"Expanded" ...  different operations).  I'm guessing that other users will be
faked out by this distinction.   Good call to put View first in the drop down
menu for Options>View ...  I use this so often that I would list View right
in the main toolbar with File Edit Thought.
    (Also thanks for reminding me about the option to R click in the Plex.)

Thanks,  Bob

twospoons
Yeah the wording threw me off at first. 

Expand All is really a misnomer for what it does in all respects.  It does not expand all thoughts.  It only adds a layer of depth from the focal point, regardless of Normal or Expanded view.

Now that I understand the meaning, I know how to use it, but I think the wording of View Distant Thoughts vs Expand All was more clear previously.  It would probably more closely represent the functionality if the command was called View Additional Thought Layer or something to that effect.
Wes
mcaton
Thanks for the feedback!  We'll discuss

-Matt
Darkstar

I agree. The wording of Distant was certainly better when there is a Normal and Expanded view. Maybe calling it "Show Related" or "Related View" for what was "Distant Thoughts"?

-Darkstar
ibsteve
I do have one tiny complaint. The distant or expanded view is extremely tiny...almost unreadable. Is there a way to control this? Thanks, Steve
zenrain
For the expanded view you can make sure shrink with distance is unchecked in the preferences, I don't think there's any way to control the size of the thoughts in distant view. You may try making the main thought bigger.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
ibsteve
For me Shrink With Distance does not seem to make any visible difference. Maybe a bug?

Steve

zenrain wrote: For the expanded view you can make sure shrink with distance is unchecked in the preferences, I don't think there's any way to control the size of the thoughts in distant view. You may try making the main thought bigger.
zenrain
Shrink with distance only works with the expanded view and should make all the thoughts equal size. In the Normal - Expand All view it doesn't make a difference.
It should really be an enhancement request that it works in both the expanded views.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software