rustyedges

Windows Defender is warning me about Trojan:Win32/Pocyx.gen!B!plock

source is...
C:\Program Files (x86)\TheBrain\TheBrain 9\TheBrainUpdateService.exe
service:TheBrain Update Service

Not sure how to figure out anything more???
mdlynam
Same here.  Occurred on 1/4/2016.  

Win 10 / Windows Defender
pthompson
Thanks for pointing this out. It has been documented.
mikesingleton
Got this notice again when doing update to 9.0.75
Xvarnah

Same problem with version 9.0.76 on my computer (OS Windows 10 x64).

Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 (latest release : 16.0.0.614) detects a trojan : "Trojan.MSIL.inject.dgio" in : "TheBrainUpdateHelpar.exe//res_0013".

2016-01-15_Kaspersky's report before deletion.jpg 

Unfortunately, the only way to solve this issue is to uninstal TheBrain 9.

But, then, TheBrain website can no longer be accessed; on the other hand, fortunately, TheBrain support page still displays.

I have no such issue with my "TheBrain 8 Pro version 8.0.2.1" updater. How come ?

Harlan
TheBrain 9 uses a much more sophisticated process for updating that allows it to self-update without much involvement from the user. Kaspersky/Defender/etc are mistakenly identifying this ability to self-update as the a trojan. As we get closer to release, we will be contacting the anti-virus vendors to work out a solution.
Regards,
-Harlan
Xvarnah

Many thanks for your clear answer, Harlan.

It is a pity that such a situation prevents eager customers from testing TheBrain 9, as the program is blocked by Kaspersky as soon as it starts lauching.

But we all know that the patience is a major quality as far as the development is concerned.

mcaton
We do have some updates on getting TheBrain 9 to run on machines with anti-virus software.  Please take a look at http://www.thebrain.com/products/thebrain/thebrain9/update-troubleshooting and let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,
Matt
Xvarnah

You made the trick ! [thumb] [smile]

After having paused Kaspersky, I downloaded and installed TheBrain 9.0.78.0, then I launched it without a problem.

Afterwards, I resumed Kaspersky and tried to launch again TheBrain 9.0.78.0. It launched correctly and I did get no warning from Kaspersky.

I even tried to check for updates and Kaspersky, once again, remained silent.

I can hardly tell you how happy and grateful I am. Now I can test TheBrain 9 for good!

Have a nice day.

rustyedges
Not clear to me if this is supposed to be fixed.  Even if I disable Windows Defender during install, it later comes back on at which point TheBrainUpdateService.exe is removed as malware.  For now, I'm trying to override by clicking "Allow"

Windows Defender still removing TheBrainUpdateService.png 
Harlan
This is still an open issue. FYI, you can allow the update service to be removed. You should still be able to update the software, it will just require responding to more prompts.
Regards,
-Harlan
Visnet
harlan,

Maybe you missed my post earlier, but in my case the antivirus program from symantec killed the updateservice during installation, which resulted in a cancelled installation. The software would not run afterwards. So this scan can ruin the installation as well for users.

It might become more of an issue then you like?

Wim
Harlan
Yes, I am aware of the problems. Unfortunately when the antivirus/malware detectors make a mistake there is not a lot we can do other than tell them they got it wrong and wait for them to issue a fix. Our only alternative is to alter the installation/update process completely, which we are planning on doing but haven't been able to yet.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software