joejac
Hello, this question is for TheBrain Staff.

The Linux distribution that I use requires that all packages has to be installed via Synaptic package manager, otherwise the stability of the Operating System would be compromised.

Nobody in the forum of that Linux distro wants to answer questions related to programs installed without Synaptic, they say the Operating System was rendered unstable, the question is:

Does TheBrain Technologies allows this software to be installed via Synaptic or any other package manager?

I ask this because I would like to propose this nice software to be included in the package manager of the Linux Distribution that I use.

If the answer is yes, please provide a link to download the appropriated file for Synaptic installation.

Thank you very much.
Best regards
joejac
gcoulthard
Yes, that would be very nice! -- Glen
jbennett
Joejac, 

What linux distro are you using?  Have you tried using Synaptic to install TheBrain 7?

James
tcahill
Regarding synaptic, or rpm, zypper, yast, (other linux installers)., going down that path would require TheBrain Inc to deploy significant personnel-resources to the task, as a different release of thebrain would need to be made available for each of the many distribution types. Of course, this would result in a smoother end-user experience, but would the effort be worth it? As TheBrain is a java-based application it does not have complicated installation requirements. I`m guessing that your Linux distribution does not prevent alternatives to synaptic from installing software. Rather, the distribution can not be expected to provide installation support for software that is not included in the distribution. For that reason, instructions on how to do so are probably lacking.

However, here on this board, there are many of us who have successfully installed and now use TheBrain. Please tell us the name of your distribution, and we`ll see if we can help you get up and running. 

The basic steps are
1) open a terminal where thebrain has been downloaded to.
2) type sh TheBrain_unix_7_0_4_1.sh
3) press enter.
4) if the distribution complains about using the default installation folder, just create and use a folder in your own home directory. 

Synaptic is a graphical package management program for apt. It provides the same features as the apt-get command line utility with a GUI front-end based on Gtk+.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Packaging_Tool wrote: APT simplifies the process of managing software on Unix-like computer systems by automating the retrieval, configuration and installation of software packages, either from binary files or by compiling source code.``
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
gcoulthard
I've successfully installed TheBrain on Ubuntu 12.04, Solus 1.1, and Zorin 5.2. My support for Synaptic was simply for the "update all my software at once" approach, rather than having to manually update TheBrain upon each new release. Installation is fine; minor updates were somewhat of a pain when they were happening weekly (beta period.)

That's all for now,
-- Glen

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software