pshanks

[iPhone 6S -iOS 10.3.3 - V9.0.1.1)

I tried to sync my large brain today and am getting the following.

I cannot click on the "Send" button to send the logs, it's all locked up.

File_000.png 

TheBrain Beta 9.0.231.0, iOS V9.0.4.0, TheBrain 8.0.2.2
Windows 10 (V1709), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.13.1
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

Harlan
Hi Pat. We see the issue and are working on addressing this for the next release. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Please install 9.0.2.0 from TestFlight and the issue of not being able to send the error report should be solved. We look forward to receiving it so we can sort out what is going wrong. Thanks Pat.
Regards,
-Harlan
pshanks

[iPhone 6S -iOS 10.3.3 - V9.0.2.0)

I have installed and rerun it and you should have the reports now.

Thanks,
~ Pat

Harlan
Thanks Pat. One of the engineers took a look at the error report and it indicates a network failure, not a problem with the process itself. It does seem like the amount of data it is trying to send is larger than expected however. Can you please post a screenshot of the statistics for the brain you are having trouble with?
Regards,
-Harlan
pshanks
[iPhone 6S -iOS 10.3.3 - V9.0.2.0)

As requested...

2017-08-01_10-04-55.jpg 

Harlan
Hi Pat. Thanks for sending the statistics screenshot.

We did some further research on your brain and have found the source of the problem. While there are only approximately 40 MB of file attachments, this brain has more than 3.4 GB (3,400 MB) of thought icons. [eek]

When the sync process on mobile fails it is usually due to the difficulty mobiles devices often have downloading very large amounts of data at once. The solution that has been working for every other brain is to make the download much more manageable by avoiding the download of attachments until they are needed.

Thought icons are expected to be small files that don't take up much space and are need to display the plex. Therefor, they are not eliminated from the download process. Usually this does not present a problem since the thought icons are small files.

Your brain breaks the mold in the most extreme way imaginable. 99% of the space required to download your brain is composed of thought icons. Because of this, the optimizations we have put in place to make mobile sync more reliable do not work on your brain. Syncing your brain will not be possible without a fast, extremely reliable Internet connection.

We are developing a solution that will overcome this by enabling greater fault tolerance during the download process. Unfortunately this will take us some time to complete.
Regards,
-Harlan
pshanks
Don't think I can get faster than this.
  • Up to 150 Mbps download speed
  • Up to 15 Mbps upload speed

Is there anyway to convert the thought icons to images attachments?

Any other work around you can think off.

Thanks,
~ Pat

Harlan
Pat, it's not the speed that is the problem actually. It's the reliability. The connection is dropping partway through the download. It must sustain the entire download process without failing.

Sorry, but there is no way to automatically convert the icons to attachments and there are far too many to consider doing it manually.
Regards,
-Harlan
pshanks

Hey Harlan,

I have been doing some thinking on this challenge with my Icons and was wondering why do the icons need to be downloaded? Why can't the icons be downloaded when required (Just like attachments are working for mobile now)? Shouldn't that solve this challenge?

If not, what are the chances of getting the request to search by GUID back into V9?
=> http://forums.thebrain.com/post/thought-guid-and-search-by-thought-guid-thought-guid-different-v8-to-v9-3080-3081-8289616?pid=1298145130

I can find the Icons that are large and the GUID that they are in, but I can't currently find the original thought (Without GUID search) to correct those large icons file.

Unless of course I can change the GUID/.data/Icon.png file manually (Resize it) and TheBrain would pick up the changes, then I can just create a batch program to correct those Icon.png files.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
~ Pat

Harlan
Hi Pat,

Yes, the icons could be downloaded as needed. However doing that would require a lot of development work. The other solution is to enable resumeing of interrupted downloads, which will solve the problem more generally. This is what we are working on. 

Search by GUID is on the list. Might be done soon as it is fairly straightforward however I dont think that will really help as there are literally thousands of icons that need to be changed in order to make any difference on the overall size. 

I also considered resizing by batch as you suggest but there are a couple problems with that. 1. You will lose a lot of detail as the images must be made an order of magnitude smaller. 2. The changes will not be detected and synced to the server as the detection code is not watching for changes in system files. To get around #2 you would need to change the GUID on your brain and upload it again to the server after resizing all the icons but there is no way around #1. 

As I mentioned above we are already working on a solution. Unfortunately it's just not that simple and may take a little while. 
Regards,
-Harlan
pshanks
Quote: Search by GUID is on the list. Might be done soon as it is fairly straightforward however...

Glad to see that search by GUID was implemented in V9.0.215.0

Thanks that's a great help for me!

~ Pat

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software