NorthFarm
Hi,

I'm not entirely sure about this but it seems to me that the drag and drop process has slowed down at some point. To be specific it takes my PC (i7 processor, 6GB of RAM, Windows 7 RC-64 bit) about 30 seconds to process 25 files of 1 kB text files into PB 5.5.1.3 -b. I don't think this was always the case.

I can, as I have stated before in other sub-forums, live with the time it takes to complete a job but I would like to see an hourglass-mouse indicator when I'm supposed to wait for PB to finish indexing or finish other tasks. If I only had an indication that PB worked and wasn't frozen in the process I would be happy .
Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 8.0.2.2 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_121
...and now testing TheBrain 9.0.158.0 :-)
Moe
NorthFarm, Thanks for posting. I will see if I can add your request to the feature wish list.

Thanks,
Moe

Harlan
Can you be more specific about when you are seeing a delay of some kind? This should not be the case - indexing is done in the background and not at the time of a drag and drop. If you are seeing a delay on drag and drop of such small files, it is most likely due to problems with network connectivity. Unfortunately Windows is the culprit in that case - when PB asks for info about files on a network, Windows can take its sweet time to reply.
Regards,
-Harlan
NorthFarm
Hi Harlan.

The files are local files. I've just tried again. I take 15 random txt files none larger than 5 Kb. From the time I drop the files to they are shown in the Plex it takes 13 seconds. In this periode there is no indication of PB working. In the Job monitor PersonalBrain.exe *32 goes from 0% CPU usage to 20% CPU usage until the new thoughts are shown. Immediately after they are shown CPU usage for PersonalBrain.exe *32 is returned to 0%.

----------------------
Harlan
I just tried this with 15 text files, 750 KB total. Whether the files are moved or if they are linked externally, it takes less than 2 seconds for them to appear in the plex... (I am dragging from a folder in the file explorer to the plex so that new 15 thoughts are created on the drop.)

Where is your Brain stored? Local drive? Are you using a USB drive by chance?
Regards,
-Harlan
NorthFarm
PersonalBrain is on a 10K rpm local drive and the Brain itself is on a 7.2K rpm local drive, both SATA drives. PC processor is a 2.66 GHz i7 with 6Gb RAM. OS is Windows 7 RC - 64 bit. I don't see any other programs being slow. I have checked in the Windows Resource monitor and there is no queue on the disks, no indication of any problems anywhere. The only thing I can see is that the CPU usage goes up to 100% on one of the cores in the CPU. I tried importing the same type of text files to my 5.0 version of the same brain in PB 5.0.4.0. Here it also takes approximately 10-15 seconds to import them.
I wonder if the indexes database could be broken and a database rebuild would solve anything.
----------------------
Harlan
Are you dragging to the plex? Are you moving the files, copying the files, or linking to the existing files?

What if you create 15 thoughts at once by using the semicolon? (IE: Create Child > 1;2;3;4;5...) Does this take about the same amount of time?

Is anyone else seeing this kind of slow response?
Regards,
-Harlan
NorthFarm
Hi again,

I'm moving the files into the Plex.
15 thoughts created with semicolon trick takes 6 seconds from I press enter to the thoughts show up in the Plex.

P.S. my brain is 30,000+ thoughts but that doesn't seem to have been a problem before. But if I create a Brain and do the same in that (F6 and 15 new thoughts or moving in 15 files) everything happens instantaneously. The new Brain is located in the same drive as the old one.

So it seems it is related to my Brain and not PB itself.

Thanks for staying with me on this one.
----------------------
Moe
Northfarm, I just tested this by dragging in 15 text files (from Windows Explorer) 5kb each into the Plex in a 30K Thought Brain and he response time was about 3.2 seconds. The files were local to my hard disk. As you stated this issue is probably unique to your Brain. If possible, can you send us a Brainzip of your Brain to support@thebrain.com so that we can take a closer look.

Best regards,
Moe

NorthFarm
Hi Moe.

It's 1.6 GB zipped. Are you sure there is nothing else we can try?

----------------------
NorthFarm
I tried the Rebuild Database utility. I got an error when it finished rebuilding the database but before it started the reindexing. It said to mail support the PersonalBrain error.log which I have done.

By the way there is an "a" missing in the dialog box. See this picture. It says: "There was problem..." it should be "There was a problem..."
Click image for larger version - Name: There_was_problem.GIF, Views: 87, Size: 59.14 KB
----------------------
NorthFarm
After the Rebuild operation the time it takes to drag files into the Plex has gone down considerably. I can now drag in 30 files of 160 KB total in 5 seconds.

It still leaves me with the feeling that we should have an hourglass mouse pointer to indicate that PB is working.
----------------------

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software