tcahill
KDE 4.3.1
OpenSuse 11.1
java 1.6 up 15.b3
PB 5.5.1.2

Using mucommander (   http://www.mucommander.com/) to drag/drop files from and to PB. Check out the movie.

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
jostber
I've tested this and it works perfectly! This is a pretty snappy file manager, too!

TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

tshanno
This works with my configuration, as well.  It's an outstanding find.  I'm also partial towards these "Commander-like" file managers so all and all an outstanding solution for me.

Thanks,
Tom

OSX & J-1.6.0_17
KUbuntu 9.10
PB 5.5.2.2
KDE 4.3.2 & J-1.6.0_16
jostber
It's got a great set of keyboard shortcuts too. Always a good thing. Makes it really efficient to use. Pretty neat that you can open a file with the right arrow.

jostber
You can also set it up as your standard file browser in PB by editing this field:

<linuxFileBrowser>/path/to/mucommander</linuxFileBrowser>

in the file ~/.PersonalBrain/TheBrain5Preferences.xml.

jostber
Drag and Drop to from the wonderful MuCommander works beautifully. Would be great if this could work with more Java based applications, and KDE/Gnome. Has the PB team looked into this?

When I try to copy a file with Ctrl-C and paste into the Brain, there appears a menu entry "Edit-Paste Files/Folders" but using this option PB tries to paste the whole ~/PersonalBrain folder with files instead of the file I copied to the clipboard. Any reason for this?

jostber
I tested this again in v.8.0.0.1 and now it seems like drag and drop of many files work in Linux from file managers Konqueror and Dolphin in KDE. [smile] Copy and pasting the files into TB work nicely as well. The only thing is that the file is marked as an internal file, even if the original file is not affected. Should this be changed to an external file?

sven_semmler
Thank you for sharing this!
CallMeTrimTab

Sorry to post to an old thread, but the MU commander tip was an interesting one. After a minute or two of testing, I think I may have found something that might lead to a fix for non KDE systems.  I don't use KDE, I prefer Mate, but I take user jostber at his word that drag and drop works in that desktop environment.  

For the brain developers, under Mate and probably all gnome based DE's:

Code:
#Mu Commander: If you drag and drop from this application into The Brain, a local path string is provided:
/home/user/Desktop/test/IMG_20160517_095603.jpg
#This seems a little unusual but TheBrain recognizes it and it works!!! Woo Hoo!! I have never seen drag and drop work in Linux until now.
#Note: Dragging from TheBrain into Mu Commander does not work.

Code:
#Nearly any other Linux program or desktop environment into The Brain: Provides a URL style path:
file:///home/user/Desktop/test/IMG_20160517_095603.jpg
#Doesn't work. Never has.

To fix dragging at least INTO TheBrain: add a handler in the code for the extra "file://" prefix. Even if you restrict it to only "file://" (ignoring other URI schemes like ftp, webdav, whatever), it would be a huge boost forward.

My system: I'm using Brain 8. I just upgraded thinking drag and drop would be fixed after reading this post, but am again disappointed.  I currently use Mate desktop environment (on Mint), but I've used several desktop environments in the last decade; TheBrain has never allowed drag and drop for me. I have always been a paid Brain user, as I know it's handicapped in this respect when in free mode. I've paid for every upgrade since Brain 4, always disappointed each time when drag and drop remains broken...  

Hope this might help lead to a fix for Gnome / GTK based desktop environments.  It's been a drag.  Pun not intended.  ;-)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software