gery51
Hello,

I am just test dropbox paper with the brain, and it seems to work.
Paper from dropbox uses the new ckeditor 5 software and is really complete as an texteditor.
It's collaborative too.

I don't know if thebrain 9 database would have problems with the use of this software ? 

Could you inform me ?

Thanks
Gerard
metta
Thanks so much for the tip on Dropbox Paper! Will be interested in what TB staff say about using this option, since it does provide a table option that is currently missing in TB9 notes.

In the meantime, I just now set-up a test document with DBPaper, and I was disappointed to discover that even with a secure URL ( https:// ), the document did NOT display within the embedded browser in the web client (see web client screenshot below).

When you tested this in the web client, Gerard, did the document open within the internal browser -- or did you have to open it in a new window?

DropboxPaperTest.png
metta
Odd...Just now attempted to view this DBPaper document in the web client and received another completely different error message -- with NO link/option for opening the document at all:

DropboxPaperTest-2.png 

This appears to be related to another web client login issue documented here.
gery51
Hello Metta,

I see, i think that you will have to open your document in a new browser window.
The used technique is still very new and i don't think it will work richt away from the imbedded browser in TheBrain.

I 'll search if i can find an independant  ckeditor 5 application with a table component, from which you could copy/paste your text into the brain.
With regards,
Gerard

metta
Thanks, Gerard.

Right now Google Paper does display in the embedded browser within the desktop brain. (It's only in the web client where it needs to be opened in a new window.)

This means I can use GPaper now to provide tables within TB9 which really is a big help. Thanks again! Ã°Å¸â„¢â€š
gery51
Hello Metta again,
I found the way you could start a ckeditor from a website browser (i should choose google chrome or firefox)
In the attachment theire is a ckeditor_4.8.0_ full.zip file.
Just dubble click on it and it will be expanded.
When you go to the map where in the unzipped file resides, go to sample, and click on index.html.
The text-editor will start from your choosen browser. 
From this page on you can add the needed components with the online toolbar configurator.
This is ckeditor 4 and the components must be called from the toolbar.
With ckeditor 5 you can work with inline popups and collaborative but we'll  have to wait for a new download.
Because the generated output is pure html and javascript, when you copy/paste the result in the notes screen of Thebrain, it should work 
So try it and keep me informed !
Regards,
Gerard
metta
Thanks again, Gerard! Appreciate you taking time to come up with this alternative.

Just curious: What do you see as the advantage of using this ckeditor4 browser plugin vs. Dropbox Paper?
gery51
Maybe, it will work faster, and you will have lesser bugs...
You can also insert more components  plugins in the toolbar as you want to with the online configurator.

metta
Ok, great! Thanks for letting me know.
gery51
Metta,

You can also use OneNote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_OneNote

Regards,
Gerard
metta

Thanks, Gerard. I appreciate the suggestion, and I'll make a note of this for future reference.

However, I'm not a huge fan of OneNote or TB9's embedded browser, so I may pass on this OneNote option for the time being -- especially since the embedded browser is no longer working in the web client (which I, personally, think is a step in the right direction.)

In the end, what I really want is more customization options (and tables) TB9's notes editor (rather than trying to make do with a work-around) -- and now, based on feedback we recently received from Harlan, I realize it may be a while before any more enhancements will be made to the notes editor.

In light of this, and the fact that (1) many features are still missing from the web client and (2) I've been dealing with almost daily error messages, bugs and crashes with TB9, I've decided to suspend any attempt to work in TB9 for the time being.

I will certainly keep up with new updates for TB9 as they are released, and I will continue to follow the progress of TB9 in the forum, but for now there are too many bugs and too many missing features for me to invest any more time in trying to work in TB9 at this point.

I hasten to add I understand TB9 is still a work in progress, and I look forward to seeing the development that unfolds in the months to come.

However, I'm going to wait to return to TB9 until:
> more of the features I currently rely on in TB8 have been added and
> my occasional testing of TB9 indicates I can count on the performance (of both the local installations and the web client) to be more stable and more reliable.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software