mctrexler
How can I create a duplicate of an existing (large) Brain. I want the original to continue to support all the links and URLs I've distributed for accessing the Brain.  But I want to have a copy of that Brain for personal use, but with a different GUID.  How to do that?

Mark
Cerebrum
  1. Backup the brain.
  2. Create a new brain. You'll have one thought.
  3. Import the backup into the new brain using the "Add to" option.
  4. Set the Home Thought.
  5. Delete the thought created in Step #2.
mctrexler
Thanks Cerebrum.  Totally obvious in retrospect.  I have such a phobia of doing that with a 50GB brain that I had blocked the idea.  But it is the way to do it! 

Mark
mctrexler
That said, I'm not seeing the "add to" function.  Where should I see it in TB8?
Cerebrum
Perhaps you've already found it.

I have a sample Brain with a Thought called "Home Thought".
If you select File, Import, you'll see something like this:

Capture.jpg    
mctrexler
Thanks Cerebrum.  Yes, I see that in TB9, but I'm not seeing the equivalent in TB8.  The Import function doesn't give you any TB import options, including brainzips. 

Mark
Cerebrum
Oh, I didn't realize that you're using TB8.
I think that the import function in TB8 automatically adds to the current brain.
You can try it with a sample brain.
metta
Cerebrum, as far as I can tell, TB8 does not include an import backup option (as Mark indicated above).

Mark, will this work process work for you instead?

(1) Backup the original brain.
(2) Change the name of the new brain backup.
(3) Open the renamed brain ==> Assign a new GUID.
(4) Sync the new brain with the new GUID.
Cerebrum
That's probably the best way of doing it.
An alternative for TB8 is to export to Brain XML and then import into a new brain.

The other alternative, of course, is to import into TB9.
mctrexler
Cerebrum, last I recall seeing you hadn't switched to TB9.  Has that changed?

Metta, thanks for that suggestion!

Mark
Cerebrum
I switched to TB9 about a year ago.
kiatlc
Cerebrum wrote:
  1. Backup the brain.
  2. Create a new brain. You'll have one thought.
  3. Import the backup into the new brain using the "Add to" option.
  4. Set the Home Thought.
  5. Delete the thought created in Step #2.

@Cerebrum
@Metta

1. Is this the same way to be used for creating a new brain from a template brain? 

2. Do I need to assign new GUID after importing?
metta
@kiatic ~

Any time you create a new brain, it automatically has a new GUID.

As for creating a new brain from a template brain, Cerebrum's steps should work just fine:
> 3. Import the template brain into the new brain using the "Add to" option.
kiatlc
@metta

then when is the need to change GUID manually? Bcoz I read from old posts many people talking about changing it
metta
@kiatic ~

Based on my (limited) experience with changing a GUID, it is only done for remediation purposes (i.e., to fix a major brain problem).

Do you remember what others were saying about why they making GUID changes?

My understanding is that, in general, changing a GUID on an existing brain is only done as a last resort because (1) the process is irreversible and (2) the URLs for every thought within the brain (including the home thought) will change when the GUID is changed, thereby breaking any links into the brain that have been publicly (or privately) shared.

I suppose there may be other more positive reasons for changing a GUID, but I personally don't know what they would be. Perhaps someone with more experience or with the TB staff could weigh in on this and explain more.

In the meantime, I had to change a GUID once on a privately shared brain several years ago (don't remember the exact problem we were trying to fix), but it was a major problem since all my subscribers had to be given new access info for the brain, and all the shared links I had provided previously were no longer working. This means I personally would avoid GUID changes wherever possible, especially on shared brain projects.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software