JosefBetancourt Show full post »
JosefBetancourt
You have to change the tiddly settings to not create the backup files.  Go to "Options" on right hand side of tiddly page and uncheck 'SaveBackups'.

--- Josef

punkmonksf
Well... I suppose not having had my first cup of coffee yet, you will forgive my "DUH" moment.

Thanks!!
Karekin

JosefBetancourt wrote:
You have to change the tiddly settings to not create the backup files.  Go to "Options" on right hand side of tiddly page and uncheck 'SaveBackups'.

--- Josef

interestingthread
Don't know if it's related to the settings in my IE or not, but can't get tiddlywiki to save content entered. I have unchecked save backups.
Whenever I attempt to save the information on the wiki page, I get the IE error - It's not possible to save changes...

A separate issue I am having (this is with PB3) is with linking to external files.
Have been trying ZuluPad, which stores notes in xml format in dropdown view.
Have several zulupad files (on tech, writing, etc.) that I associate in PB from individual thoughts.
After associating each though with the zulu data file it goes with, it opens the last zulupad file opened, not the one that I want.
Any way to change this?
Would like to associate an organizational tool with PB which has individual notes that could put in sortable column tables. Haven't found it yet...

JosefBetancourt
interestingthread wrote:
Don't know if it's related to the settings in my IE or not, but can't get tiddlywiki to save content entered. I have unchecked save backups.
Whenever I attempt to save the information on the wiki page, I get the IE error - It's not possible to save changes...

Probably settings, try it with FireFox too, just to see if the save works to the same destination.

Psyops
I've been playing around with embedding wiki in PB and it is a great idea!
But if it was possible to get the wiki page to show in the Notes window it would realy be amazing!
And if there where some sort of integration between Tiddler- and Thought links, it would perhaps also be possible to navigate the brain from the wiki....?

JosefBetancourt
You can put a hyperlink to a wiki page in the notepad and then do a ctrl left button click on the link, and it will open in browser.  It would be nice to also open it directly in the note window.   For, example, I pasted a link to my local home page:  file:///C:/home/index.html   and that url format works.

btw, Eclipse IDE allows an embedded browser so it can do things like this.  So, its doable.

Psyops wrote:
I've been playing around with embedding wiki in PB and it is a great idea!
But if it was possible to get the wiki page to show in the Notes window it would realy be amazing!
And if there where some sort of integration between Tiddler- and Thought links, it would perhaps also be possible to navigate the brain from the wiki....?

JosefBetancourt
Just saw a possible related "mashup".   In an article,
Brain Books,We're drowning in information. One way to capture it is the use of Brain Books, at[http://www.embedded.com/columns/breakpoint/209000123?cid=RSSfeed_embedded_news], J. Ganssle writes how important knowledge capture and sharing is important. 

He envisions a use of a Wiki to create "Brain Books".   I'm sure he is not referring to the PersonalBrain product, but it does lead to contemplations....  IPhone and Kindle have shown that mobile devices can be powerful, so can a mobile connected lab book be possible, that has wiki technology and navigable by PB?  Sure it is.

-- Josef

kilucas
I'm trying a combination of PB with TiddlyWikis held outside the PB itself. These are self-contained Wiki's held in html files.

One challenge with such a structure is that I can use a shortcut as a PB thought attachment to a specific TiddlyWiki but, if I subsequently activate a shortcut from another attachment into the same TiddlyWiki I end up with two open copies of a single TiddlyWiki in my Internet Explorer environment. This becomes wasteful if I containue opening further shoirtcuts to the same TiddlyWiki and end up with lots of open browsers. And it's dangerous if I edit the TiddlyWiki in one of the windows because one set of changes made in one window could overwrite changes made in another.

But I notice that hyperlinks in some web pages online cause new Internet Explorer instances to open while others use any existing Internet Explorer window and, in IE7, some create a new tab in an existing widnow.

So can I select which of these behaviours should be adopted when I activate a PB shortcut to an html file so that I could limit the number of open copies of a TiddlyWiki to just one perhaps?

Many thanks for any insights you might have.

Kevin 
JosefBetancourt
Kevin:

I don't think there is a solution to that behavior.  By design, the web is stateless.   To get by this there are many techniques, like cookies, URL stuff, etc.  

Also, when you click on a link in a page the link has a "target" attribute that tells it where to open the page, like "BLANK".  The browser is what determines what really happens, such as putting into tab.

One high-tech approach is to embed theBrain into the browser itself.  Sun's new Plug-In technology is supposed to be much better.  But, thats a can of worms and would need TheBrain development help.

--- Josef

kilucas
Thanks for the feedback. It's sounding as if I'll have to be very disciplined and close browser windows when I've finished with them. I'm not sure if I can rely on other users doing this though so I'll keep thinking about whether I can find any better solution.

Thanks

Kevin
ZG
Has anyone continued to pursue this?
I think this discussion was way ahead of the curve. The ideas discussed here in 2007 are very similar to a number of tools currently in development. Some similar tools I found are listed here but PB would be a better option:
http://thinkbase.cs.auckland.ac.nz/
Thinkbase is doing what is described on this blog but there is no personal version.

http://tiddlytagmindmap.tiddlyspot.com/
There are a few tools developed to use a graphic relational browser in Tiddly Wiki.
Tiddly Tag mindmap by Jon Robson is the best I've seen. PB is a far better interface.

Similar tools:
http://www.touchgraph.com
http://der-mo.net/relationBrowser/

Here is a video about the visual navigation:

- ZG

Darkstar

ConnectedText is a Wiki with a visual navigator mode. I find it to be a good personal wiki.

-Darkstar
rzw7
Hi Josef,

Your posts on this Tiddly wiki are amazing, can you help me with one problem, my browser IE8 does not want to save the application, it says a proper configuration is necessary. I'm not an IT guy but would like to use this application very much, it is so helpful. 

thanks in advance,
rzw7
less is more
interestingthread
Interesting thread. Have started looking at using PB with a PIM. Have EssentialPIM with over 1,000 notes. Wish there was a way to link individual EPIM notes, calendar, etc. within PB. Will look at using Tiddly wiki. Tried Mindmanager but it appears too limited. Is there a way to import mindmaps from it into PB?
zenrain
Yes, in PersonalBrain choose File > Import > MindManager File.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software