hherbzilla
After rebooting my computer, PB 5.0.0.6 has started behaving differently.
  • For the 1st time, I had a "startup" screen appear that showed my other brains
  • Many of my customized settings reverted to what I assume are the default settings (e.g., memory usage was no longer showing in the toolbar, Activate last created Thought was turned off)
  • The ESP Sync started acting differently and I can't figure out how to change the behavior. Now, when I'm working in another application, I'm suddenly brought over to PB. For example, I was typing an email in Lotus Notes and suddenly PB steals focus and brings me to a related thought. I do want PB to monitor the clipboard, etc. but I do NOT want it to steal application focus. Am I missing this setting somewhere? Oddly enough, I'm not able to replicate the behavior at will, but it has happened a few times already.
This last item is particularly annoying and is disrupting my workflow. Appreciate any help! Thanks.
Herb
hherbzilla
I closed and reopened PB to see if that helped.

A new problem: I was trying to add a link to an existing Thought as a child under another existing Thought. When I start typing in the Create Child box, the plex starts moving around to other thoughts as I'm typing. I'm now unable to add the child link to the original thought because the focus has automatically changed.

Herb
hherbzilla
BTW, no change in behavior in 5007.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It's very frustrating to be in the midst of typing an email and PB picks up on something I'm typing and suddenly steals focus and comes to the forefront.

Again, in the past, I might see the ESP term when I switched back to PB... but the app never took over on its own. I like the fact that it can monitor the keyboard or clipboard, but I do NOT want PB to just jump to the front when I'm in the middle of doing something in another application.

I don't believe this is the planned behavior. If it is, then there should be an option to monitor but NOT steal focus. Hopefully this makes sense.

I'd like to hear from someone else so I can figure out if this is the usual behavior (was never the case for me before) or not. Thanks!

Herb
Harlan
No, that should not be happening. There have been no changes to ESP Sync for version 5. Perhaps you made some other change on your computer that could be causing this?
Regards,
-Harlan
hherbzilla
Perhaps... though nothing I can think of. Any ideas?
Herb
hherbzilla
Now the application isn't stealing focus (i.e., PB doesn't jump to the foreground), but it's still occasionally moving thoughts around in the plex while I'm working on something else.

As you can imagine, this can be quite annoying. I often bring up a note based on what I'm working on, and then hop over to another application to do something related. Sometimes when I jump back to PB, I find that the thought I selected when I left PB is no longer selected, and I have to navigate back to where I want to be.

Based on the lack of activity in this thread, I must assume I'm unfortunately alone in experiencing this odd behavior.

Herb
NorthFarm

If you have ESP activated PB will try to find thoughts that are related to what you are typing in other programs and activate those thoughts. I guess that's the point of ESP. I also find it distracting so I have always had ESP turned of. Cool function though.

Regards Hans Henrik Nørregaard
----------------------
TB 8.0.2.2 (Pro Combo) Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Java 1.8.0_121
...and now testing TheBrain 9.0.158.0 :-)
Harlan
hherbzilla wrote: Now the application isn't stealing focus (i.e., PB doesn't jump to the foreground), but it's still occasionally moving thoughts around in the plex while I'm working on something else.

That's exactly what ESP sync is supposed to do... It activates thoughts that you type or copy when you are in other programs. If you don't like it, just turn it off (uncheck the monitor... options in preferences).
Regards,
-Harlan
hherbzilla
Thanks, Harlan.

OK, I should have just done this in the first place. Please see attached screen shots. What happened to the Activation option for ESP?

What I'm missing in the beta is the "Suggest only" option. As mentioned, PB is instantly activating thoughts in the plex -- a very annoying behavior.

What I want is the past behavior where I would see a subtle "suggestion" and could then click on it to activate that thought (if desired). If I didn't click on it, the plex did not change focus. This was great because it didn't interfere with what I was doing, but the ESP suggestion was simply a click away if I decided to activate the thought.

Hopefully this clarifies the issue.

Herb
Harlan
Ah - good catch. Thanks, we'll get this addressed.
Regards,
-Harlan
hherbzilla
This behavior seems to have returned with 5013.

Although I have activation set to Suggest Only, my Brain is automatically navigating to thoughts based on content I've copied (e.g., what was the selected thought when I left my Brain switches to another thought because of something I've typed or copied in another application).

Also, when I start creating a new thought, the Brain sometimes starts navigating to existing thoughts while I'm typing. This is disorienting. However, when I hit enter to create the child thought, the plex returns to the original starting point. I just tried to recreate so I could capture on video but now the app is behaving. :)

Herb
hherbzilla
I continue to have this problem...Am I the only one?

For example, I was just typing a calendar reminder in Lotus Notes and, in the middle of typing -- but after typing a word that's also part of a thought in my brain -- I was suddenly jumped over to PersonalBrain.

I like the ESP concept but I just want it to "suggest" thoughts. I don't want it to take over control of my computer and move me out of the application where I'm currently working! For now, I've turned off the monitoring again because it is too annoying otherwise.

Thanks.

Herb

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software