shakennotstirred Show full post »
a_d
That's a huge number of thoughts, I've  got about 2,000 at the moment, but most of them are linked to thoughts in TheBrain.

My script is of course not useful to transfer this mass of existing thoughts, but I made it to quickly transfer new Evernote-notes to the brain. At my computer it takes about 5-15 seconds to transfer the note, depending on the size.

So if I tag a new note in Evernote, I transfer it to TheBrain at the same time, since there, the information is more valuable.

I even thought about a script to get a huge amount of notes in evernote to transfer it to TheBrain, but its more complicated and eventually you have to link these thoughts in TheBrain. Otherwise these would be useless.

But I think, this would be possible with enscript.exe from Evernote and a ENML to HTML converter, which could be implemented in my scripts, I posted.

TheBrain 8.0.1.3 Win7 x64 J-1.7.0_45
PaddyVA
Thanks for your reply and the timing info, a_d.  

BTW, have you or anyone here tried/worked with Ceptara Organizer for Outlook? http://www.ceptara.com/products/organizer .  It is an add-in for work flow management, based on email, tasks, calendar, journal in Outlook.  I am just thinking, "what if I could drag items from their structure into TB"?  I've played a bit with a trial; there are some cosmetic aspects that I am not happy with (organizer pane won't stay where I put it, etc.), and I am not sure the company is sustainable, or continuing development or support.

I get 150 -- 200 emails a day, and I keep looking for ways to separate the important from the merely interesting, and to be able to retrieve when needed.  I am currently using Standss' "eeminders" add-in http://www.standss.com/eeminders to set automatic recall at future dates.

Evernote and OneNote both have add-ins to Outlook.  How wonderful it would be to have a button, or right-click menu, to allow "shooting" email, tasks, etc. directly to TB!  Maybe a modification to your script, a_d.
a_d
Quote: Evernote and OneNote both have add-ins to Outlook.  How wonderful it would be to have a button, or right-click menu, to allow "shooting" email, tasks, etc. directly to TB!  Maybe a modification to your script, a_d.

I liked your idea, so made a quick modification to my script. 
Export of messages from Outlook was quite easy due to COM-Objects, so you could now transfer the selected email really easy to the brain, with attachments. 

Unfortunately there is still an encoding error in the notes window left, but I will check that later.

I posted it to http://forums.thebrain.com/post/transfer-evernotenotes-with-attachments-to-thebrain-by-xml-6590532?pid=1280076040#post1280076040
TheBrain 8.0.1.3 Win7 x64 J-1.7.0_45
PaddyVA
I just tried an idea -- linking MohioMap items (which are EverNotes in a graphical display) to TB -- and it worked!  Each EN in MM has a unique URL, so it can be dragged and dropped into TB.  Then, the link when clicked goes to the MM display, which shows the other notes that are linked to it.

You can, of course, copy and drop individual EN URLs from EN, into TB, but that way does not have the advantage of the graphical display of other notes linked to it.

So, this way is a visual or graphical extension of TB in an easy way for individual items, and of course, they then become searchable in TB -- at least, the title of the note does.

I tried the similar thing with CardDeck, a new way to display Evernotes, but that didn't work, because the EN cards don't have unique URLs therein.

See:  http://lifehacker.com/mohiomap-creates-a-mind-map-to-browse-your-evernote-1508827115
and
http://mindmappingsoftwareblog.com/carddesk-visual-organizer-for-evernote/
HunterBoss
PaddyVA

Wow. Very interesting. I do know that I'm on TheBrain's forum, but you're now begging the question - why use TheBrain if this is out there?
Christopher Tipper
Palatine, IL
wordmuse
I will be testing out MohioMaps, but I can give you an immediate first impression based on 5 minutes
of usage... 

If your main purpose is to have rapid-fire, animated "synaptic" associations then Mohio Maps looks sweet.
It uses a similar (same?) technology as Visual Thesaurus and a few other apps that I've seen.  This
view of information always gives me a headache and it's not long before the novelty wears off and,
in the case of Visual Thesaurus, I'm back at TheFreeDictionary using a flat, less animated view.

What I'm hoping for in my evaluation of MohioMaps is that they have a view of the data that is
less animated and thus easier on the eyes.

But even more importantly is this: the links are not established manually. They are created by some
semantic algorithm within MohioMaps. That's not a bad thing, but it is a different thing from what
you have in TheBrain. If you want stable representations of your information, MohioMaps does not
appear to be a very good tool. (I could be wrong - again, this is just with 5 minutes of use.)

Where I think it does excel is in letting you see relationships in your information that you didn't
set up yourself and thus might not even have realized existed.

Evernote has a place; MohioMaps probably has a place and TheBrain most certainly has a 
place - at least in my tool set.

- Bal

asexymind

PaddyV - when I drag and drop from MM to TheBrain - the title/subtitle of the thought is MohiMap/"A Visual memory for evernote" - not the title of the note. Do you get different results?

Sexy idea though.

--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
PaddyVA
wordmuse wrote: I will be testing out MohioMaps, but I can give you an immediate first impression . . .
Evernote has a place; MohioMaps probably has a place and TheBrain most certainly has a 
place - at least in my tool set.

- Bal
 My sentiments too!  FYI, Mohiomap now also links EverNotes map to a map of your Dropbox files -- https://www.moh.io/mohiomap/welcome.php .

The release yesterday of TheBrain for iOS opens lots of new avenues for interconnection from other iOS apps -- maybe using IFTTT, I hope, soon.

Patrick
advisors

I'm also using TB, EN and MM and looking for some way to (better) automate my work.

I do use EN as a "first level storage", appreciate the fact I can quickly add notes by mail and/or with the browser add-ons.

I appreciate MM for what it brings, some visual mapping based on it's own rules.

Now I'm missing the ability to populate TB automagically and/or manually with those notes I find valuable.

When I d&d from EN to TB, the corresponding note name/title is lost (and it's content is not indexed in TB).
Same from MM.
And this is a manual task.

I'd like all notes in a specific EN notebook (or with a specific tag) to automagically appear in TB (with the same tag, under the same notebook node) so I can further link/reference/enhance it.

If anyone finds some (even partial) solution, please let us now [smile]

Not sure TB team will ever understand our need / take it under consideration.
TB acts very "proprietary", and does not seem to be very interested in interacting/integrating with anything but itself, so I hope we can come up with some kind of solution.
(If at least TB would offer some kind of API, others could interface with 'em …).

Just my 2 cts ...

PaddyVA wrote: I just tried an idea -- linking MohioMap items (which are EverNotes in a graphical display) to TB -- and it worked!  Each EN in MM has a unique URL, so it can be dragged and dropped into TB.  Then, the link when clicked goes to the MM display, which shows the other notes that are linked to it.

You can, of course, copy and drop individual EN URLs from EN, into TB, but that way does not have the advantage of the graphical display of other notes linked to it.

So, this way is a visual or graphical extension of TB in an easy way for individual items, and of course, they then become searchable in TB -- at least, the title of the note does.

I tried the similar thing with CardDeck, a new way to display Evernotes, but that didn't work, because the EN cards don't have unique URLs therein.

See:  http://lifehacker.com/mohiomap-creates-a-mind-map-to-browse-your-evernote-1508827115
and
http://mindmappingsoftwareblog.com/carddesk-visual-organizer-for-evernote/

pthompson
Thank you for your feedback advisors.
advisors
Thank you for having read my feedback Patrick.
I hope it will also lead to some action / be taken into account for future product enhancements.
Regards,

pthompson wrote: Thank you for your feedback advisors.
purdisc
Thanks for the idea Paddy

I tried dragging MohioMap (Evernote notes) items (from Chrome and Safari) into TB and I'm not able to do it. Am I missing something here...like a brain ;-)

Any ideas?

Best

JohnP
GerSch
Two things I would like to see in TheBrain:

• Evernote notes in an own tab in TheBrain, like the integrated note editor
  • Find results from Evernote notes when I make a full-text search in TheBrain

As you can see in the programm IQTELL (www.iqtell.com) from the technical view it is possible:
pthompson
Thank you for the suggestion. Our engineers are aware that this is a highly requested feature and have it on their list.
PaddyVA
purdisc wrote: Thanks for the idea Paddy

I tried dragging MohioMap (Evernote notes) items (from Chrome and Safari) into TB and I'm not able to do it. Am I missing something here...like a brain ;-)

Any ideas?

Best

JohnP

John, I just dragged a few of my MM notes from Chrome into TB tonight without any problem, so I don't know what might be the issue in your case.

What I do is to click on the MM node that I want to have located in TB; I watch the address bar to make sure the URL changes, so it is specific to that node; then I drag from the address bar that URL and drop it into TB.  

I clicked on some of the older notes I had added to TB, and they did take me right to the correct MM EN node.

p.s. Here's a photo of some of my MM thoughts in TB.

p.p.s.  BTW, Mark Lewis asked, "PaddyV - when I drag and drop from MM to TheBrain - the title/subtitle of the thought is MohiMap/"A Visual memory for evernote" - not the title of the note. Do you get different results?"  No, I get the same, not the title; then I copy the EN node or note title, or type in what I want in the Label space in the Thought properties box.

Pat Snap_2014.07.12_03h05m09s_004_.png

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software