FransJehoul Show full post »
Darkstar
(In expanded view) The spacing for children comes about because it tries to set the thoughts so that the full length of the thought can be displayed (and manages it in most cases). But it then, 1) shortens the text anyways, and 2) sets all columns of child thoughts to that length, even though they aren't in the same "column" as the longer thoughts.

Also, for parent items that are mono-links (they only have one link), they get crowded down to their children, and this makes for a crowded, not easily used mess.
-Darkstar
dyslucksia
Agree. It's difficult to understand why PB should display agoraphobia under these conditions.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
FransJehoul
Good night,

Darkstar,

why did it work well in PB5.0 and not anymore in PB 5.5 ?
I think you only make it better every release and not worse, isn't?

Regards,

Frans
FransJehoul
Good evening,

What can i expect?
Will the new algorithm used for expanded mode in PB5.5 be adjusted?

Regards,

Frans
Moe
FransJehoul, thanks for the post. The engineers are currently look into this but no changes are currently planned for the Expanded View.

Best regards,
Moe

dyslucksia
If they can extend the algorithm to allow interlacing of Thought names, that would solve the problem.
FransJehoul
Hello Moe,

Noticed there will be no immediate change.
Why is it changed between  5.0 and 5.5? 
The expanded plex in 5.0 worked better than the current 5.5 one!!!

I returned to 5.0 for my brain.

Regards,

Frans
FransJehoul
Hello Moe,

What i (think) i just experienced in PB 5.5:

When in expanded more and using the scroll-wheel of my mouse, the thoughts in the plex doesn't leave the plex when i want the spacing between thoughts be greater. In PB 5.0 you could scroll until almost all the thought weren't visible.

I use this way of working to get my thoughts organized.

Regards,

Frans 
FransJehoul

Good afternoon,

I downloaded and installed PB 5.5.1.8 this noon.

Expanded mode worked much better than in the 2 previous releases.

Using the scroll-wheel (increase distance (Ctrl+Wheel up)) to resize the plex (space between thoughts greater) worked well.

Only this increase is +/- limited to the plex size. Is it possible to limit this to for example two or three times the plex size.

When working with just a part of a expanded view and when wanting to see relationships (linktypes) and tags better this would be nice.

I made 2 avi movies (2Mbyte total) to show explain extra.but they are not uploadable.

And like many people before me did: PB is super. Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Frans

Darkstar
5.5.1.8's expanded view behavior is definately an improvement over 5.5.1.7 and prior where it was changed.

Although I don't see why they went to such short clipping of all thought names. That means you can't just look at the plex and know which thought you are after, if the thought doesn't have the right colors, icon, and start with a unique bit of text. You have to MOUSE over it to get it fully expanded to tell the difference between thoughts now. Sigh. One step forward, two steps back at times, it seems. Well, in 5.5.1.8's case, it is really 4 steps forward, 6 steps back, but hey, we will get there eventually, right? As long as we keep going.
-Darkstar
dyslucksia
I for one won't be using Expanded View seriously any time soon for exactly that reason. Even though it's more stable now than in any previous release, the severe name truncation that you mention is a real turnoff, when I can use Normal View and Outline View instead.

Elsewhere I suggested giving us the option to force full Thought names (i.e., without truncation) in Expanded View, for those whose uses for PersonalBrain require longer Thought names.

Darkstar
Truncating all thoughts who don't have a space in their first 6 characters to just the first six characters is DEFINATELY overkill.

I also have a LOT of thoughts that are truncated to "The ...". Talk about useful! I should check to see if I have many displayed "A ..." thoughts, for thoughts that start out "A fool and his money are soon parted" (and such). Nope. THAT gets truncated to "A foo ...".

Humm... playing with text size, I can get it up to "A fool and his money are soon parted." --- but it is in 1 point size or so, so it is REALLY rough to read on screen.

UGH. The "-" control is getting in the way of wrap around text display currently. That blocks out the first bit of the second line of the wrapped text. I wonder what can be done about that, since wrapping happens on a mouse over, so the user COULD be looking for the +/- controls to expand or collaspe that thought.
-Darkstar

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software