twospoons
I have a question about the arrangement in Expanded View.  I know there is a systematic way of calculating and positioning item around each other and its based on attraction and repulsion.  Here are a couple of couple of examples for discussion.  In the first i just switched to expanded view and this is where everything landed.  The second is where I positioned them because it made more sense to me.

1) Why are jump links more attracted than parent/child links?  I normally use jump links for things that are not directly related and therefore the logical distance between the thoughts should be greater than something directly related like a parent or child thought.

2) Why are child links able to have a higher Y cordinate on the screen than the parent thought?  This normally works great until I start adding more and more thoughts, then it just starts spinning in circles and huddling closer and closer together.  It would make more sense to me for the default position of all child thoughts to be below the parent unless manually positioned elsewhere.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Image 1:

Image 2:

Wes
Harlan
Hi Wes,

The algorithm for the expanded view is too complicated to really get into a detailed discussion but basically it cannot enforce strict rules such as "never put a child above it's parent" because there are cases in which that kind of rule would make it impossible to display some thoughts (think loops).

In any case, we do have some improvements planned for the expanded views layout which will make the example case you show work out much cleaner by default.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,
-Harlan
Shiiko
Harlan wrote: The algorithm for the expanded view is too complicated

Harlan, is this also true for the distance between thoughts?  It would be nice to be able to select the 'padding' between child thoughts and between parent thoughts.    Sometimes parent thoughts spread out leaving alot of empty space and often child thoughts are too crunched together.   Would be nice to be able to set minimum and maximum tolerances.

I know that I can adjust the distance using ctl-wheel but it would be nice to either see what % adjustment I have set or, as mentioned before, set a min/max, tolerance.

tcahill
I'd like a magic wand feature that would toggle on/off and quickly arrange --with a single mouse-click -- a closely related sub-set of thoughts to just the same sort of arrangement that I've arranged 30 dozen or so other related sub-groups in the past, during in the same plex, during the same session. (trying with a single drawn out sentence to represent figuratively just how repetitious this gets)
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Harlan
We hear you all... there are more expanded view features coming in the future, such as saved layout and improved automatic layouts... But for now we have to concentrate on finishing up with bugs for the final release. Thanks!
Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
Hey Harlan

Is it too soon to start a PersonalBrain 5.x forum? I've got a few ideas....

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Harlan
I think we could justify our current release as being 5.X already based on the number of features we've added during the beta.

But seriously, we do have a lot more fundamentally cool enhancements planned for the future, beyond "just features"... As usual, we'll announce them when they're ready.

Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software