COMPUTERHLP

In the spirit of this Forum category, this post invites anyone to enjoy this WebBrain concept – (http://www.ExploreUSAstates.info) – a USA Travel and Recreation portal for [insert-YOUrself-here] weekend or vacation pursuits.  Search Parks, Cities, Recreation interests, etc. across all 50 states. (under continuous development stages...)  Read the opening screen notes for more helpful information and examples.   Landscape view/layout (plex-over-text) is generally recommended to maximize the plex space view.

The marvelous way that TheBrain reconfigures the view for relevant/connected places and interests is entirely different from the typical web-engine scattershot search for a vacation destination.  This Brain exploits use of Jump Thoughts and Parent groups to connect Thought relationships (Parks w/Cities w/ Recreational Interests, etc.); extensive use of Thought Tags for filtering Recreational Interests and place features, etc.; and employs the ‘comma trick’ to manage the Placename,City,State identification.
By exploring the Jump Thought places, you can effectively hop (explore & discover!) from the Current Thought (Park/City/place) through surrounding Parks, Forests, Wilderness Areas, Cities, etc., (all inter-linked) and end up exploring into neighboring states/cross-country too! (and discover new interest links (Parent groups) along the way.)

Explore freely thru Michigan’s Cities and Parks (showcasing the northern Upper Peninsula half of the state); or navigate from TheBrain cerebral HQ (Los Angeles, CA) 1,540 miles north to Port Angeles, WA via U.S. Hwy 101 Road Trip (Pacific west coast); or explore the Grand Canyon National Park, AZ, one of 40! highlights in the American Southwest Grand Circle Tour extraordinaire (AZ, NM, CO, UT, NV); or discover the Lake Tahoe region, NV & CA; or Minnesota’s Superior Natl. Forest and surrounds, and Hwy. 61 parks with stunning Lake Superior vistas and waterfalls; or enjoy Florida Scenic Trails, or pursue other Recreational Interests; + much more.

The scope and scale of this project is considerable.  (Some categories and eastern states are still ‘under construction’.)   This portal inter-links ALL Natl. Parks, ALL Natl. Forests, ALL Wilderness Areas (more pending), Natl. & State Wildlife Preserves, Recreation Areas, Trails, Parks, maps, Recreational Interests, and Cities, and local places as Children.  As more child granular details are added (local recreation and places) and cross-linked to the greater whole, the more purposeful this site becomes.

Feedback is welcomed so that I may continuously improve upon this concept.  Some Thought views are notably complex/(busy), thus small screens (i.e.: cell phones) will suffer cramped navigation & display - (but more intermediary indexing requires more navigation/clicking/refreshing.)
Pending ongoing development:  Remaining Eastern states; All Natl. Wilderness Areas; All State Parks, Forests, Recreation and Historical Areas, Preserves, etc.; Jump Thought Link Labels indicating distance <# miles> between connected Thoughts or <adjacent>; more filtered views, report ‘views’ and special interest ‘collections’.  (Whew!)

Anyone is encouraged to contribute content so that I may continuously improve upon places – submit your ideas, http://www.links to specific places (the official, management authority site), history w/links, photos, notes about a [place or experience], etc. for your State and vacation places (from you, who knows it best) at  ExploreUSAstates@comcast.net) .

Sidebar note:  some other WebBrainiac implementations from this Forum are also linked in this Brain - inquiring Brains may like to know more....   Everyone is encouraged to share their WebBrain creation in this Forum, and I may link examples in this WebBrain too.  The more, the merrier - and we all benefit from the exposure and knowledge sharing.

Freely promote http://www.ExploreUSAstates.info to anyone for Travel and Recreation pursuits.
Cheers to y’all,  COMPUTER.HLP
ExploreUSAstates.info = https://bra.in/8pDkrv
TheBrain 10 Professional  |  Microsoft Windows 10 Professional  |

COMPUTER.HLP
metta
Ambitious project! Thanks for sharing. ðŸ™‚

Also, just wondering if you could change your ExploreUSAStates.info redirect to remove the "stealth" setting?

This would allow your brain visitors to bookmark and share URLs for specific thoughts that are now hidden when navigating through your brain.
ascetic
why those links attached to thought have shown full view of webpage, not just a link?
metta
@ascetic ~

TheBrain provides an option to use an embedded browser within the web client:
> Log into TB9/10 web client
> In the brains list, navigate to the desired brain
> Select the "hamburger" menu in the bottom right-hand corner of this brain image
> Select "Settings"
> Activate checkbox: "Embed linked web pages"

Please note that not all web pages will display within this embedded browser, but many will. For example, web pages that do not have a secure prefix (https://) will show up only as a link, not as an embedded display.
ascetic
@metta
thank you ~
got it
COMPUTERHLP
@Metta
per request:  ExploreUSAStates.info redirect masking has been removed, so users can capture the URL for any view.  Allow <24 hrs for DNS to replicate around the globe.
Cheers,
COMPUTER.HLP
metta
Thanks, Computer.HLP! Appreciate your consideration.
metta
@Computer.HLP ~

FYI, I just now discovered what initially appeared to be a serious issue with the web client when visiting your brain.

I'm currently logged into the web client, and if I click on the hamburger menu on any of the attachments in your brain, it looks like I have full control over everything related to the attachment: deleting, renaming, changing the URL, etc.

Coincidentally, I made this discovery I was on the following thought:
> TheBrain's Cerebral Core

Immediately, TB's public chat window automatically opened up, so I took advantage of the opportunity to report the issue, and Sean confirmed the bug.

However, Sean also pointed out that that the aforementioned controls DO NOT WORK for any of your brain visitors, so all your attachments are SAFE. 🙂

Nonetheless, he will immediately report the issue to the engineers so they can resolve it.

Just thought you'd want to be aware of this unexpected surprise! 😏
COMPUTERHLP

@Metta
An unexpected surprise indeed.  Very astute observation! - good catch! - THANKS! so much for alerting TheBrain engineers to this unexpected "security access" issue - I'm interpreting this to be that: whereas I have shared this Brain to be 'public', and I am the only Admin/developer - but other Brainiac Admins see the 'hamburger menu' and ?may be able to perform deletes, etc.?, while the general public user view seems secure.  Indeed, that would be too risky!  Thanks again!
(How "convenient", eh?, that the page presented the pop-up window to report this issue.  Thanks Sean!)

COMPUTER.HLP
metta
Based on what Sean said, I think the situation is that "Brainiac Admins" can access the hamburger menu, but the menu is NOT fully functional for anyone except the brain owner....so really nothing is at risk from either the general public or other brainiacs.
😏
DrBop
Wow! What an ambitious and helpful resource! Thank you for creating and sharing this.

Worth noting to developers: This kind of undertaking points to the limitations of a geo-based effort in the current configuration of The Brain. Translation: It is disconnected from map-based information.

To wit, I am looking at the extensive information listed for California-based wilderness areas, and visually, based on the wallpaper, this branches from Ontario. That is just disorienting. 

Coincidentally, I have a similar, although much smaller-in-scale, personal project underway using both The Brain and Google's My Maps. The latter employs layers for data types with notes, but, of course, lacks The Brain's interconnectedness between individual nodes.

Alas, as always, if only there were a way for the twain to meet...

In any event, your effort will be a helpful resource. Perhaps I can return the favor and offer some content to you for Virginia and some other places...

Many thanks. Best!

Don
metta
@Computer.HLP ~

Just now noticed the bug we've been discussing (above) is NOT just limited to brainiacs who are logged in.

You can verify this yourself by logging out, navigating to your brain, and then checking the attachment tabs.

The attachment control tabs (which should only be available to logged in users) are visible and appear to be fully functional.

In fact, the attachments can actually be renamed and deleted while by a brain visitor who is logged OUT -- but then when the page is refreshed, the attachments return to their original settings, which means everything is ultimately OK. (Whew!)

However, if you have a Help Desk ticket open on this issue, I thought it would be important for Support to be notified that the attachment controls are visible regardless of whether the brain visitor is logged in or out.

COMPUTERHLP
DrBop:
I agree with your observation and have wrestled with how to represent maps to associate with each place location. Ideally but unfortunately, I can't 'locate/fix' a Thought to a geo-grid (GPS) point on the wallpaper map. My best map options at this time are: 1) I have linked (child)Thoughts to the official hosting authority map sites; 2) I have also linked Thought places to National Geographic maps, USGS Topographic maps, Wlderness maps, etc. (The collection is here @ https://bra.in/9vNrWv w/1,000 maps so far); 3) I can link a Google map location to any Thought/place, such as here @ https://bra.in/4vPrJq .
However, the popular Google maps represents a problematic challenge - they cannot display properly as i-frame content in the WebBrain internal browser window. (This applies to other website content as well, which may not be displayed.) There is presently no means or option (for a public user) to copy the URL or open it into a new browser instance/window. I have submitted a support request to further address this i-frame behavior (cannot display some site content), for a user option to be able to open any web link into a new/separate browser instance window, for any reason (such as it doesn't open for any (unknown/unexpected) reason, or so the user may save the URL into their browser Favorites for future reference).
Here is how the development problem plays out - on the desktop client, I simply drag and drop a Google map URL onto the Plex, and a child thought is created and the map displays correctly in the internal browser of the desktop client. Everything seems fine. But I've discovered (later) that the map page cannot be displayed in i-frames of the WebBrain internal browser. This condition may occur for any other website also. This means that for every web link that I attach to a Thought in the desktop client, I must then also test each of them on the WebBrain client - and if it cannot be displayed in an i-frame, then I'm pretty much out of luck. There is a cumbersome work around for the Google maps - from the Google menu I can generate a custom HTML string for an embedded map, which I must further modify/edit, then paste it as a URL attachment (child)Thought map. This modified URL will display correctly in the WebBrain internal browser i-frame window. However, that same URL cannot be displayed in the internal browser of TheBrain desktop client, so the Thought link is rendered dead in the desktop client in exchange to make it work 'correctly' in the Web client. This doesn't seem a good scenario. I'm hoping some relief will be forthcoming soon. Anyone else who is experiencing this "i-frames can't display a web page" condition may want to add their voice/vote to the Support list of open issues, helping to spur the cause.  Thanks.
COMPUTER.HLP
metta
Dennis ~

I'm very interested in several iFrame related questions, and I appreciate you raising this issue again for review and consideration.

In fact, another brain user and I had a discussion about this back in August -- and here's Matt's feedback about the status of the iFrame issues we discussed.

In this context, I also created a mini-iFrame-demo brain to illustrate some of the potential of iFrames, as well as identify several display issues, which I will detail below.

iFrames not working in the web client
> Example #1: Browser-only iFrames (don't work in desktop brain or the web client)
> Example #2: Desktop only iFrames (don't work in web client)

Please Note
> The browser-only iframes actually were working in the web client when I initially created the demo brain, but they are not working now.
> I was told by support that TBTeam does not have any plans to fix the web client display problems associated with the desktop-only iFrames.
> One other unrelated web client bug:
-- The screenshots attached to the desktop-only iFrame sample thoughts cannot be opened in a new window in order to get a full view of them.
-- Instead, you will have to maximize the image window itself by using the tiny left-pointing arrow on the splitter bar to close the plex.
> This mini-demo brain is available for desktop review, if you are interested. See the Contact thought in the mini-demo brain for details.

I hope this demo will be helpful in illustrating the current issues (bugs) as well as the potential of using iFrames in TB -- if they can be made fully functional.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software