sibleyd
The folder names are truncated resulting in very substantial data loss. 
Need the full folder names. 
mcaton
David,

Thanks for posting. Can you please share a before/after example? 

Thank you,
Matt
sibleyd
Here is snapshot of brain and a snapshot of the corresponding folder export 

Thanks
Harlan
This truncation is due to Windows. Since Windows does not support path lengths longer than 260 characters, thought names and limited in length so that child thoughts can be placed under sub folders. Once the 260 character limit is reached new child thoughts must be placed in the root folder. 

One option to enable longer folder names would be to forego sub folders but obviously that is less than ideal. 

Unfortunately the limits of the file system mean trade offs have to be made. 
Regards,
-Harlan
sibleyd
I am not any where near 260 characters on exported file structure.
You must be including the long brain internal path names to reach anything like 260 characters
vmilhoan
I have a very large brain structure, so I think I am close to hitting the limit without truncation. I agree that a lot of context is loss. However, this is only a problem when I'm exporting my full brain. If I wanted to export part of a brain (a project for example) then I would love to have the option of keeping the full thought names. 

+1 (for making it an option and adding a message if the export will exceed path limits in windows.)
sibleyd
I was not exporting the full brain. I was exporting only the one branch shown in the pdf. I did not get a warning message of any kind.

Frankly, I don't think the explanation given is correct. Again, I am not anywhere near 260 characters not even remotely close. 
Cerebrum
sibleyd wrote:
I am not any where near 260 characters on exported file structure.
I just tried this with a branch in my Brain. The names of several folders were truncated. 

I then copied the full path for each of those folders, including the subfolders, and pasted the path into a Word document to do a character count. The range was from 96 to 105 characters. 

Edited:
I just noticed something: the truncated name for each folder has 25 characters. I can edit the name and add about a hundred characters. 
The truncated names for sibleyd's folders have 25 characters.
mcaton
Yes, the thought names are being limited to 25 characters.  If the full thought name was 150 characters, there would be major problems with the export in just a 2 or 3 level (generations) deep Brain...

Thank you,
Matt
sibleyd
I have the following suggestions:

1) Have the full folder names for a configurable number of levels. 

I would rather have the full names for even 1 level than
               than partial names for many more levels. I would simply
               know I could only export portions of the brain.  This is 
               my need anyway. I would have no need for exporting everything.

I think more levels than you might think could be exported.
               Generally, a lot of levels have very short names, and only 
               one or a few levels have longer names. 

2)            Levels that are truncated should have the full name placed
               in a text file within the folder, so the full name is not lost
               completely. It is still there just in a less convenient form.

3)            The XYPlorer program has a mode called long names.
                They explain in their user manual that the actual windows
                file system called NFTS does not have the 260 character
                limit. That limitation comes from the "shell." They somehow
                circumvent the "shell" and go directly to NFTS. Thus, apparently,
                it is possible to get around the 260 character limit.  I am sure
                I am over simplifying but they have something going on.

mcaton
Thank you for sharing these feature suggestions. I'll verify that they are documented.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software