tonyg

When exporting a brain to SiteBrain to HTML with XML data I find only the top most thought is included and there are no links to any other thoughts.

I have exported a test brain without problem but this one I have now exported 3 times with the same result.

Screen dumps of PB and browser display attached.

I am using Pro edition version 4.1.3.6, Win XP tablet PC edition, version 2002 with service pack 2.

Any thoughts on where I'm going wromg?

Click image for larger version - Name: PB_screen_dump.png, Views: 570, Size: 23.27 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Browser_screen_dump.png, Views: 578, Size: 2.82 KB
Quote
tonyg
This is an update on the problem outlined.

I have tried exporting other Brains and had no problem, even one which had much of the same information included. I can see the information in one Brain but not in the other.

It occurs to me this might be due to the way I input the information.

The data I was inputing was in an Excel file so I isolated the information I needed into a column, added a semi-colon at the end of each cell, copies the whole column and pasted it into the child entry dialogue box. I was adding may be 30 or 40 entries at a time.

The method worked fine to create the Brain, which functions perfectly in it's native program - but doesn't work at all when exported.

Is there and issue here that I'm not aware of about data input into the Brain?
Quote
Harlan
Hello,

It looks like something is going wrong with the export process... Please try upgrading to version 4.5 as many things have been fixed since version 4.1.X. If that doesn't solve it, please post the output.log file that is located in the PersonalBrain program folder immediately after doing the export and we'll be able to tell more about what might be going wrong.

Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
tonyg
Hi Harlan,

Upgraded to beta version 4.5.0.8 converted the existing files and re-exported the brain file. Same result.

The log file is attached. Thanks for your help.
Quote
mcaton
Our engineers are reviewing your log file.  But I did think of one possibility:

Is there any way that all of your other thoughts have been tagged as being PRIVATE?  Take a look at the Properties and Attachments tab and verify that there is no check box next to the Private option.

If this is the case, we can easily change the settings on the Private Thoughts.

The default setting for creating SiteBrains is to NOT include private thoughts.

Thanks,
Matt
Quote
Harlan
The log file does not indicate that there are any errors and says that 248 thoughts were exported... Can you send a brainzip of your brain to support@thebrain.com? We'll take a look from there. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
tonyg
Hi Matt and Harlan,

Thanks for your persistence opn this problem. I will send a zip of the Brain today.

I checked and none of the thoughts are tagged as PRIVATE.

I have started to re-enter the information but taking more care with input. At the same time I am exporting to a Site Brain as I go to see if there is any problem. So far no problems and the Site Brain is working OK.

My feeling is that the method input, as identified in my post 15th July, was the root cause. Now I am copying the information from the Excel file to NotePad and removing all spaces to get the standard format for entry into the Brain - thought name | semi-colon | space -and this seems to work OK.

Is there any previous posts on data entry methods for The Brain as I don't want to re-type everything I enter.
Quote
mcaton
Tony,

Thank you for all your assistance in troubleshooting this issue.  I'm not sure about the "thought input" theory, but there is definitely someting fishy about this particular PB.  I've tested creating a SiteBrain with your file we recieved and I get the same results as you.  I'll hand this over to our engineers now.

Thank you!
Matt
Quote
mlowry3ml
I'm seeing the same issue in Pro 5.5.2.4 with a sitebrain html export. Sent screenshots of missing links to support@thebrain.com but received no acknowledgement, no reply. 
Is there a solution posted?
Quote
mlowry3ml
OK.  I see a workaround from Moe just posted.

mick

Quote:

May 19, 2009 at 01:10 PM#1

Hi Guys, I have noticed quite a few emails coming into support regarding exported SiteBrains not showing links between Thoughts. In all cases the culprit has been IE8. If your using IE8 to view your exported SiteBrain and the links between your Thoughts are not showing up, please follow the directions below to enable compatibility view .

In IE8, select menu item "Tools" then "Compatibility View Settings", in the pop dialog, check the last option "Display all websites in Compatibility View"

Best regards,
Moe
Quote

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software