fsouyri
Is there a way to export a full brain to a text file or better Word, in the same way that MindManager does it ?
So that when I have finished putting my brain in order I can produce a nice report and send it some someone.
Finn
I agree that this would be a really nice feature if it isn't already available in PB4.

BR

Dave
PersonalBrain User since 2002
Harlan
This is on the feature request list, but since your brain is not a strict hierarchy but rather a network, this is not possible without eliminating some of the links and context that is inside your Brain.
Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
Harlan wrote: This is on the feature request list, but since your brain is not a strict hierarchy but rather a network, this is not possible without eliminating some of the links and context that is inside your Brain.

Why couldn't link amd context elimination be minimized if every exported thought had it's link info appended to its output. For example:
***Link Info***
parentlinks: "a"; "b,detail";"c"
jumplinks: "d";"e"
childlinks: "f";"g";"h,context"
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
ybourgui
Only for information, is there any plan to develop an export to word of the brain (including notes) as we are several to find this feature very useful when preparing reports.

lotusone
I would like to request this feature, too.  I often need to use a brain in other apps, e.g. a powerpoint presentation, or create a MS Word summary of a topic.
Sean
BP 5.5.1.5-b
Mac OS X 10.6
Java 1.6.0_15
Dryopithecus
FYI, in 5.5 beta, you can copy thoughts along with their notes, then paste into Word or other program.

From the release notes of 5.5.0.0 beta:
Quote: New command: “Copy as Text Outline with Notes”
This command copies the selected Thoughts along with their notes and places them in an text tabbed outline
lotusone
Thanks, I was concerned that, since "crawl brain and modify selection" limits the amount of levels to 20, I might not get the full branch, where an export would obviously copy everything.
Sean
BP 5.5.1.5-b
Mac OS X 10.6
Java 1.6.0_15
grayfo
Is it possible in Outline view (which I don't have... yet!), to impose an arbitrary sequence on child thoughts - as you would when sequencing ideas for a Powerpoint slide or a Word report?  Then, "Copy Text as Outline" could be used to export a pre-sequenced report.

All I could find (when testing the full version some time ago) were options to sequence alphabetically, by time, etc.

It would be great if, in Outline view, I could drag and drop children into a new sequence, which would then persist (perhaps through a right-click / "Fix sequence" command on the Parent?)

I really want to buy the full version, but I first have to know that this functionality is there, as authoring using PB will be my main use of the product.
ybourgui
I have several questions:
1. Where can I access the menu option: copy as text outline with notes. I have version 5.5 full version, but I can not see this option
2. how is it possible to extract a report in e.g. word
3. I s there a way to extract nodes and notes in word?
Thanks.

zenrain
@grayfo - No it isn't possible to customize the order of child thoughts. There is a UserVoice request for it here, if you haven't already voted for it, please take a minute or so to sign up and add your vote.
Currently the only way is to prepend thought names with numbers in the order you wish to see them. You can do this manually, or if you are a Windows user, you can examine Dyslucksia's macro that does it here.

@ybourgui - First, select the thoughts you wish to copy to a text outline by ctrl + clicking (or ?-clicking in OSX) the thoughts. You can also use Edit > Crawl Brain and Modify Selection if you have multiple levels.

With your thoughts selected, for just the thought names, choose Edit > Copy as Text Outline. If you wish to include notes choose Edit > Copy as Text Outline with Notes.

To do this with a report result, once you have the report you wish, choose Edit > Add Report Results to Selection. Now you can use the steps above to export to a text file.

The Copy as Text Outline and Copy as Text Outline with Notes both write the information to the clipboard. You can either open a text program (notepad) or word processing program (Word), or anything in between, and paste the information in. However, only text is copied, so any formatting or images you have in the notes will not be included.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
grayfo

@zenrain Many thanks for this info.  I'm on my way to vote!

asexymind
OK - I love the brain. I am tired of this particular "can't".

Right now, I copy as outline with notes, paste into word, and then build the hierarchy in outline form, line by FLIPPIN line.

I understand that we will lose information if we export to word. AND, since we are already losing information when we copy as outline with notes, let's allow us export to word KNOWING that we will lose information.

Really, it's ok - I would still rather have a word outline document that has ALL of the limitations of "copying outline with notes", but take advantage of the word outline feature (which happens to be the program I use most outside of PB, in which I wrote my first three books, and in which I have outlines and notes for my next 6 books.)

Whew. I am sorry, but I just spent 25 minutes going through this laborious process, and my frustration is palpable.

Mark
--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
bonnerrf
This has been bothering me for ages too....I finally decided that there HAD to be a way to reformat the document in Word. It turns out that find and replace can include styles, so here's what worked for me:

1) Export the brain my selecting everything (Edit -> Crawl Brain and Modify Selection) and using Edit -> Copy as Text Outline with Notes

2) Paste into Word

3) Find the largest number of indent tabs at the beginning of a line and use Edit -> Replace to change them to a single space character. With the cursor in the 'replace with' text box, click the Fomat button, select Style... and choose an appropriate style (I used a heading style one greater than the number of tabs - i.e. 3 tabs gets the style Heading4)

4) Repeat 3 decreasing the number of tab characters and the heading by one until all tabs have been replaced.

The document can now be viewed in Word's Outline mode and you can select styles and change them; I usually hit F1, select Styles and Formatting, and use the tools there to select all the text with one style and apply another. It's important to start with the greatest number of tabs because finding one, for example, will also find all the higher runs (2, 3, 4...); changing the tabs to a space means they can't be found (and replaced) again. This works because all the text in a paragraph gets the same style.

The main catch so far is that notes are also indented with tabs, just like thoughts, so they will receive header styles too. The only way I've thought of to handle this so far is to insert a marker at the front of each note, fore example 'Note:' You can then search for this, and change it to a space with the 'normal' style.

Hope this helps!

Ron

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software