mrsandbags
I just added a thought for this page by dragging into Brain. Instead of giving the thought the title "How to GraphQL - The Fullstack Tutorial for GraphQL" it ended up "howtographql".

This was after waiting for a few seconds where Brain could have been downloading the page source to extract the title.

As an aside it would be good if some kind of UI indicated Brain was doing this. It always gives me an awkward pause while I am wondering if this is working.

Thanks.

Matt
MOWER/VALDEMARIN
Experts at creating value by sharpening purpose, stimulating thinking, sharing insight, and finding hidden opportunities for you
tel +44 797 707 6709  ·  skype: matt.mower ·   http://mwrvld.com/  ·  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmower

TheBrain v9.0.245.0 | macOS 10.12.6 | MacBook Pro 13,1 (late 2016) 2.4Gz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 GPU


Quote
mrsandbags
As an aside if I add a page from Github the thought ends up with the title "Github" while the page title goes in the Label. This is logical from a certain point of view but, essentially, useless.
MOWER/VALDEMARIN
Experts at creating value by sharpening purpose, stimulating thinking, sharing insight, and finding hidden opportunities for you
tel +44 797 707 6709  ·  skype: matt.mower ·   http://mwrvld.com/  ·  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmower

TheBrain v9.0.245.0 | macOS 10.12.6 | MacBook Pro 13,1 (late 2016) 2.4Gz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 GPU


Quote
zenrain
Yeah, it's done this for years. Basically it does the best it can with the connection and the way the web pages are titled, and if not I go in and fix it. 

It would be nice if the Interwebs had to follow a certain naming convention when titling web pages but alas no.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.248
Quote
mrsandbags
zenrain wrote:
Yeah, it's done this for years. Basically it does the best it can with the connection and the way the web pages are titled, and if not I go in and fix it. 

It would be nice if the Interwebs had to follow a certain naming convention when titling web pages but alas no.


Err… there is a <title> tag containing the page title. In the examples I quoted this is so. The problem is TheBrain doesn't seem to be finding or using it consistently.
MOWER/VALDEMARIN
Experts at creating value by sharpening purpose, stimulating thinking, sharing insight, and finding hidden opportunities for you
tel +44 797 707 6709  ·  skype: matt.mower ·   http://mwrvld.com/  ·  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmower

TheBrain v9.0.245.0 | macOS 10.12.6 | MacBook Pro 13,1 (late 2016) 2.4Gz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 GPU


Quote
zenrain
Totes! But it still has to quickly determine if it can find it within a reasonable amount of time, and how to interpret it based on the titles having - or | or : or ~ or * or % or what have you. I'm guessing it times out after a while, or if the page has server side processing which interferes. 

Update: Oops, didn't expand the code out, lol. Yes, totally had a title, didn't catch it. Don't know why. /Shrug
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.248
Quote
mrsandbags
The title is in the <head> (collapsed) not the <body> and in the example I gave the title seems to be there.

HTML parsing is pretty much a solved problem, Brain shouldn't seem to have this much trouble, this often.

I can retrieve the page in my browser without any noticeable delay, I don't see a reason why Brain should be perceptibly slower retrieving the source (esp. since it doesn't have to bother rendering).
MOWER/VALDEMARIN
Experts at creating value by sharpening purpose, stimulating thinking, sharing insight, and finding hidden opportunities for you
tel +44 797 707 6709  ·  skype: matt.mower ·   http://mwrvld.com/  ·  https://uk.linkedin.com/in/mattmower

TheBrain v9.0.245.0 | macOS 10.12.6 | MacBook Pro 13,1 (late 2016) 2.4Gz i7, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 540 GPU


Quote
mcaton
As Zen mentioned, there are several different factors than can effect TheBrain being able to find the desired title for a Thought. I do see <title data-react-helmet="true">How to GraphQL - The Fullstack Tutorial for GraphQL</title> in the code, but it's down on line 1421.  There are possibly 100+ other references to "title" in the code on this same page that may be effecting this feature. So a quick solution, if there is any delay or confusion is to call the new Thought "www.howtographql.com" ... which is not entirely inaccurate.

All this being said, we'd like to be able properly name Thoughts for EVERY URL on the web.  I'll document for further review.

Matt
Quote
ruudhein
My best guess is that TB doesn't use the browser visible in the tab, but another headless browser that grabs the page to get information.

Sometimes such browsers don't see the same thing you and I do. Sometimes that's due to logged in/out state, despite whether you're logged in in the visible browser, and sometimes because some sites just don't like/work with headless browsers.

So in that case, all that browser sees is the URL itself.

You can recreate this situation by logging into Facebook in the TB browser, then grabbing a link, adding it. It will just say http://www.facebook.com
Using: Evernote | FilterizeEverdo | Dynalist | Liner | TheBrain v9.0.248.0
Quote

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software