wordmuse
Currently TB9 has a button that when clicked opens a thought's note in the default (?) browser.  That's OK, but not really something that I need. (Others might find that very useful, which is fine. I'm not asking for that button to be changed at all.)

I'd like a second button right next to the Open in Browser button that lets me open the note in a user selected word processor or text editor. I'm assuming that bold, italic, etc. are handled with HTML style markups. So when opened in a text editor, it would be useful to have all markups intact. 

When I completed work in the text editor and saved/closed the file, the note would be updated inside TB9.

The big advantage to me is that my text editor is far more robust than TB9's.

For simple notes, TB9's notes editor is fine. But for something more extensive, I'd very much like to have the ability to go from the note to the text editor of my choice.

Thanks.
- Bal
sibleyd
Agree. 
galactic_star
I like the feature request  +1 [thumb]

Let's not stop on text only, imagine if we can associate any internal attachment or data on the note to external application.

Example the Note has some pictures, but you don't like the extra background so you want to remove it using your favorite painting program.

Just set your painting program for the button, so picture files you associate are included (jpg,png,tiff)

TheBrain will know that the image is a picture file because of the extension. 

Just click on the button, it will show you your favorite painting program.

But for some reason, you want to use your favorite text editor, if the picture is a png, just asssociate a png to your favorite text editor.

Click on the button, it will now show you two programs, your painting program and text editor

Choose the text editor to open the image file on your favorite text editor.

I have requested a feature before that is similar to the idea.
http://forums.thebrain.com/post/feature-request-portable-file-association-for-preview-8086029?highlight=portable+file+association&pid=1292037887#post1292037887

I really hope this get implemented in TheBrain.
Moltaire
+1
Moltaire
+1.
zenrain
The notes.html file (notes are stored in HTML format so they will work with WebBrain) is available in the thought Folder. 

I tested editing a note outside TheBrain briefly as follows:
  1. Typed a line of text in the note (so it was created, I could have probably created it myself, but I'm lazy). 
  2. Opened the Thought folder by clicking the + Tab and clicking Open Folder.
  3. Opened the Notes/notes.html file with BBEdit. 
  4. Saved the note. 
  5. The note didn't update in TheBrain, so I navigated away from the thought and then back. 
  6. The note was updated.
  7. I didn't test synchronizing, again lazy. Someone who is more invested in this should take a bit more time testing it then me.

I can't see this as being very popular because most people don't enjoy writing with HTML tags (or know how). 

However, without knowing what the back-end sync and display code is doing, it SEEMS like is already possible right now with any/your favorite text editor, just without the single-click to open the .html document in the folder. /shrug

macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.207
wordmuse
Thank you Zenrain for the workaround. That is helpful. It's not smooth, but it's helpful.

Now since the file is saved as HTML with the HTML extension, double-clicking opens it in the browser. To open it in a text editor I have to drag the file to an open text editor or right-click the file and choose "Open With..." and then select the editor.  I'm asking for a one-click solution.

Now - as to the user population... I think that there are a lot of people who know how to write in HTML and would be happy to do so. I'm not a developer and I know and enjoy writing in HTML - and a little bit in CSS.  The point is - different strokes for different folks. I am not asking for anything to be taken away. I am asking for a new capability. If some people don't see its value, that's cool. But for me, and clearly from the +1s that this idea has received, there are people who would welcome it.

How many? I haven't a clue. Maybe the entire population of users who like this idea already +1'd it. In which case my idea should go nowhere. But if there is a sizable subset of users who would find it useful, then perhaps it can be considered.  

Also +1 galactic_star's augmentation of my idea.
- Bal
zenrain
Zenrain: not very smooth but sometimes helpful.
Sounds about right. [biggrin]
macOS 10.12.5
TheBrain 9.0.207
sibleyd
"I can't see this as being very popular because most people don't enjoy writing with HTML tags (or know how)."

There is no need to use HTML tags or CSS. There are plenty of WYSIWYG html editors in fact Word and Open Office will both do this.

I also opened up the html notes file and edited it. Other than a lack of automatic refresh on the surface it worked fine. Go to another thought and return and the edited html notes file appears correctly (including with features not available in the brain editor). I also searched for words added with the external editor and the search found those terms. I also didn't test synch.

Base on this, I would say adding one button access to an eternal editor ought to be an easy addition.  The editor is good an convenient but at times it would be nice to use a more feature rich editor.

I thought of a potential work around of using an rtf attachment instead of the built in note. The rtf does not preview, so this is not a good work around. I would say common file types like rtf, txt, doc, docx, etc should preview. 

The pdf preview is wonderful. The same type of behavior should occur with other common file types.

I would think there should be plug ins that preview common file types without reinventing the wheel.
wordmuse
The thought of being able to open to Word or OO, or something else occurred to me as well, but I thought I'd keep my opener simple. [smile]  Glad you mentioned it - and then went beyond my original thinking. 

+1 on your expansion of the idea
galactic_star
I'm not a programmer, but checking the new note editor yesterday, if they add a way to add plug-in then that would might work.
mcaton
Bal,

Thanks for posting.  Zen's option is certainly possible - but goes beyond the single click as you have requested.  Also, regardless of what application the file is opened in, it will need to be saved as a .html file. I'll document your request.

Thanks,
Matt
wordmuse
Super! Thanks much.
- Bal

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software