nw
If PB4 had a mode called "capture mode", for example, then when it was activated it could re-activate with a default thought, called for example "inbox". You could then quickly capture ideas, links etc without having to worry about where to link them. The idea would be to come back later and do the linking to the appropriate thoughts when you had more time. This would enhance the its capability as a "quick capture" tool.

Nigel
Harlan

How would to see this as different than creating an "inbox" pin that you can click on to go into "capture" mode? This suggestion has been brought up before - I am curious to get more feedback on it.

Regards,
-Harlan
acant05
I like Evernote's implementation of quick capture/ auto-paste (see http://www.evernote.com/en/). A link to the source is inserted into each note produced by the capture - this includes URLs, Word docs, Excel files, Outlook, etc.  Evernote has a toolbar add-in for both Firefox and IE. However, captures can be made from any source via a universal hot-key.

An additional option that would be nice is an append option to add the capture to the active note with a user-selectable delimiter (CR/LF or other) between captures.

I have seen some programs provide an option of either adding the capture under the active selection or to a predetermined "pin" capture location.  An additional option could be to use the title meta-data (if available) or to use the first line of the capture for a title.

Auto-capture capabilities would greatly enhance the usefulness of PB.

Al Cantley
NickHowe
My personal approach is to organise as I go.  I am pretty sure that 'capture' mode would mean I bring things in and never get round to arranging them.  Maybe good, maybe bad.

I would much rather see an import function.  If I am 'capturing' data it is usually from some other location and want to bulk upload it - e.g., an org structure including child/parent relationships that would import easily into PB, or a large number of attachments to be imported into a thought in one go, or a list of products/product families, etc., etc.  Importing these would save a HUGE amount of time.

When I am capturing individual thoughts, I prefer to think about where they go before I create them, rather than some inbox 'bucket'

Spacenexus
I tend to organise on the go also; if i don't have time to organise some info, it stays in various external holding bins until i do (Recieved Files, To Be Brained favourites, or My Docs on PDA). With so much going into one's brain, clear retrieval is key and i still find the best value is the associative information above and beyond the data iteslf, so waiting till i have time to import and link up thoroughly is my approach. I guess I do already have my holding bins, just they're at the brain's gate rather than inside the entrance hall.

Adding to Nick's comment, a 'Move File Into Brain' function for multiple selected thoughts would be useful, especially as it is now a two stage process and not directly accessible from right click menu as was the case with PB3.

cheers

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
nw
Firstly to answer Harlan's question re the diffrence between a 'inbox' thought and a pinned 'inbox' thought. If you keep PB always on top, then clicking a thought to make it the capture thought is fine. However, I alway keep PB docked and if I, for example, drag a URL from the browser I can add it to PB and link it to whatever the thought is that is active i.e. the thought that was active when I last used PB. The may not be the thought I want to link to, such as 'inbox', so if a certain thought ('inbox') was made the active thought on activation, then I could simply drag the URL and link it to 'inbox'.

The merits of organising on the go and using an 'inbox' are down to personal perference. For me the inbox would allow better workflow where if I suddenly remember something I can jot it down in the inbox and then carry on with whatever I'm doing. GyroQ provides a similar capability for Mindmanager.

Evernote/OneNote type clipboard capture/'print into' would be great, but I think you could achieve similar functionality by printing to PDF and then adding the PDF to PB.
Harlan
What if you could drag and drop to a pin? This way you could have multiple "inboxes" that you could choose from and all would be accessible even from auto-hide. Although this obviously does not address the situation where you have a new idea that you want to capture which is not drag and droppable since it's only in your head.

This is certainly an interesting topic that I think has a lot of potential. What do others think?
Regards,
-Harlan
nw
I actually tried drag & drop to a pinned thought in the current version to see if it would work. It certainly would cover the situations where I wanted to drag a URL etc and would actually give greater flexibility. It would be a good interim solution whilst the "default thought on re-activitation" feature was explored in more detail.

Nigel

NickHowe
Harlan wrote: What do others think?

Would work for me. (Still want an import function though! )
BHurd
I actually use a folder on the desktop as a sort of catch bucket for such things. It serves the purpose of catching whatever you want to drag and drop that the brain doesn't quite handle right (yet). I have that folder's virtual thought pinned. When I get done dragging I can go to the brain and open the "properties & attachments" folder for the pinned thought and to the organizing and linking from there. It works pretty well.

The primary reason I started doing this was because there is no way that I have found to print an Adobe PDF from my word processor and save it directly to a thought (because of those gawd awfull folder names you have to use). So I print to that desktop folder and then I can attache elswhere or create a thought.

Dragging to a pinned thought would work I think for some of what is being discussed, but that wouldn't solve my print problem.
spytech128
I like what acant05 was referring to (EverNote 2.0's features) where we would be able to actually have a visual of the image or text or document or webpage in PB4 rather than just a link to it on a thought.
Would it be possible to have a new tab (like the Note tab) that would be a universal viewer of sorts, where the thought's link would appear as an image copy of the file or webpage in this tab window rather than having to open the actual document or image file; yet have the option to link to the actual document if we desired to?
(I don't know if I am making my idea clear here.) LOL
- What I wind up having to do, in order to SEE what I have attached to my thoughts is to export to HTML with XML Data; when IE or FF opens with the "SiteBrain" view, I can activate any thought and SEE the webpage or PDF file or image file as I go along, at the bottom. I wish we could do that in PB4 without having to export it to HTML.
I want to be able to see my attachments when I activate a thought, in a "View" tab without having to wait for the program to open it especially when I am moving from thought to thought.
Is there any way we can do this or have a feature like this?
Spytech128
spytech128
It would really be cool if we could have this "View" or "Universal Viewer" tab like the Note tab, where we can drag a file (from Explorer) or a webpage URL to the tab and then, have a right-click option to load the image, doc or webpage (like moving a file to the thought rather than just link it) so, we can see it everytime we activate that thought and have the View tab in view.
Do you know what I mean?
Maybe have it where we can have this "Universal Viewer" tab, where we can have optional plug-ins for different program viewers (.doc, .jpg, .xls, .htm, etc.) and add what we need to view what we attach to our PersonalBrains.
I know... is that's a lot to ask for..?

Spytech128
Harlan

To accomplish some of what Spytech128 describes, you can take a screen capture of the file using Alt+Print Screen then paste the image as a thought icon. This way you can preview the content of the thought by mouse-over of the icon.

Unfortunately, a "universal viewer" is indeed a very difficult task - such a piece of software would have to be able to understand every file format and be able to open it and render it faster than the native programs themselves can do.

Regards,
-Harlan
spytech128
The print screen process sounds like a good remedy for me. I can work with that. Thanks!
(I know... the universal viewer was too much to wish for. LOL)

Spytech128
tcahill
Harlan wrote: What if you could drag and drop to a pin? This way you could have multiple "inboxes" that you could choose from and all would be accessible even from auto-hide. Although this obviously does not address the situation where you have a new idea that you want to capture which is not drag and droppable since it's only in your head. This is certainly an interesting topic that I think has a lot of potential. What do others think?

Assuming we here in Linuxland get drag and drop sorted out, I'd actually like to propose something along the way of a blend between PB 4's attachment dialog and the way that PB 3.x used to manage the creation of new links. (That was that while the create link dialog was open, one could still navigate the plex to the location one wished to create the link to.)

So, one drags something into the plex from outside of PB. PB notes that something has just been dropped into it's window, and pops up a dialog that presents the user with an assortment of choices: Attach to current thought, Create link from current thought, Navigate plex to desired drop location.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software