equinox
After 4 days of trying out The Brain, I'm falling in love with it.  I'm using it like a 'real brain' and organizing all aspects of my life. People, events, discussions etc.  Both personal and work related. I also find it to be a great personal diary too, in which I can link daily thoughts with other thoughts.

The only thing stopping me from seriously considering throwing 250 bucks at this product is lack of password protection - a feature I find hard to believe hasn't been included yet, and think is a serious shortcoming of the product. 

Is this something on the not too distant horizon??

Cheers,

E
Harlan
Hello, welcome to the board. Glad to hear you are enjoying PersonalBrain.

Password protection is a feature that we are planning on implementing in a future version. Since PersonalBrain works closely with the filing system to store information however, the protection of your data will be limited to preventing people from accessing the notes and thoughts information bu not attachments since the attachments themselves are stored in the filing system.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
-Harlan
vicanto
I vote for password in this personalbrain verson. My tought are private now. I need protection now, not in a future... not in a future version.
Regards
Spacenexus
Vicanto

Perhaps if security is on your mind you should look at third party file encryption or whole disk encryption solutions. That way your brain files plus the attachments would be secure.

cheers

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141
Testing 9.0.224 Windows

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
JosefBetancourt
The approach I use on Windows uses only open source tools.  

A private brain is stored in a TrueCrypt volume and the password for the volume is stored in a KeyPass database.   And, of course, each app is a quick link in my PersonalBrain. 

Since a Brain will eventually have all sorts of data, ideas, projects, and so forth, having it secure is important.

TrueCrypt:  http://www.truecrypt.org
KeePass:  http://keepass.sourceforge.net/index.php

--- Josef

vicanto
Thank to tell your approach Joseph. Your it is not an immediate (two other programs needed) approach to open one pesonalbrain file (that we need protect)... but there is no other chance. Semplicity it is not a feature about personalbrain, in this case.
JosefBetancourt
Correction regarding encrypting Brain.   Only TrueCrypt is needed.  This, the way I use it, is used only once in the day to open a Brain on an encrypted volume.  Its actually pretty easy to use.

KeePass is only needed if you want to create and store "real" passwords. Like, this is a real 'strong' password:  "ZyhPegVFmGec2NTt", created using its generator (I hope this same password is not generated one day to guard my knowledge of where Shangi La is!).  Yet, I would not want to remember this, so I use KeePass to remember it.  KeePass is then protected with a password that is easier to remember.

--- Josef

FransJehoul
Good afternoon,

I'm testing trueCrypt. Good product to save all my information, not only my brain, because everthing, including software, resides on a WD passport.

Regards,

Frans
cozdas
I definitely agree on the need of password protection. I usually avoid system-wide, resident, transparent applications like TrueCrypt for the sake of system stability. I also believe  password protection should be selective, that is only the data that I want to be secure should be encrypted, leaving the rest of the brain unencrypted. This would let you store the data in a flash disk and open the non-sensitive part of the brain in other computers without entering the password on those system where key loggers etc might be installed. For me, encryption of the notes would be enough, I usually don't attach fies to the thoughts. So limited encryption is OK for me.

my 2 cents

JosefBetancourt
Just a small correction.  TrueCrypt is usable as a clicable executable application just like the PB.  So, it doesn't impact the system.

cozdas wrote: ... I usually avoid system-wide, resident, transparent applications like TrueCrypt for the sake of system stability....
dthede
    Is this thread happening in slow-mo?  Or are the dates goofed up? I see a posting from "yesterday" by JosefBetancourt, which appears to reply to a posting from Oct 04, 2007 at 08:50 PM.  But it's May 08, 2008 now.

My security-related request for enhancement is procedural and conceptual: please do not glom security on to The BRAIN as an afterthought.  Rather, build it in at a pervasive and low level so it can remain flexible and responsive to changes in environment and usage philosophies.  Please bear in mind that "Need to know" has given way to "Need to share" in the post-911 world.  Compartmented information is still nevertheless critically important.  This should give an idea of the tremendous range of agility I have in mind.

dthede
shakennotstirred
I hope this is still on the roadmap, since the original post here is nearly a year old now.  Password protection (at least of the PB thoughts themselves) should definitely be built in.  Ideally it would be able to encrypt the Plex (and or portions thereof) similar to the way OneNote works, but some type of protection would be better than none
promod
Password protection of a Brain is very important since I would like to include confidential information (perhaps passwords, client information). I understand the merits of TrueCrypt (which I use) but that has a different purpose. I do not need encryption of the attached files (that's where I would rely on TrueCrypt).

In my view, lack of password protection is an oversight in an otherwise excellent application. It's probably easy to add. Please add it soon!
JonnyB
Here is another vote for password protection. I feel hesitant to use True Crypt as I had some problems with it a couple of years ago.
rogerwalk
Another vote for password protection soon!
For my application I would like to see password protection of each Brain ans well as individual thoughts (with their notes and meta-data). If you look at document filing software such as PaperMaster, they can apparently do both types of protection as standard.

Roger

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software