twospoons
Hello,

I'm curious if there is a way to save the layout of an Expanded View.  Sometimes it can be tedious and time consuming to place all the the thoughts that I am interested with in the Plex and position them where I want them.  It would be nice to be able to save a particular layout within the Expanded View, such as a list of selected thoughts and their relative position to one another, for quick loading later.  This would be helpful when producing a diagram to print or screen capture and email to someone for instance.  Is this something that would be possible?  Thanks!
Wes
Harlan
Wes,

Yes, saving of the expanded view is something that we are planning on doing in a future release. Thanks for your feedback.
Regards,
-Harlan
capodieci
Is there any idea of when this will be developed?

Roberto

hock
Sometimes it is not until after manually rearranging lots of thoughts on the screen in expanded view that the patterns of connectedness rise out of the randomness of my PB thought collections. Thus it would indeed be welcomed were  PB able to snapshot save the Phoenix, ie the exact states and positions of all thoughts and all on screen connections as they were at the moment of snapshop. Imagine in the future going back in time and loading not only the thought structure of the past but also see the dynamically linked new recent thoughts too ... yes I'd too like this on the dev list 1+.

Eugen Hockenjos
Harlan wrote: Yes, saving of the expanded view
hock/london

Win7pro, PB 7.0.4.5, J - 1.7.0
Harlan
Yes, this is still on the list and is among the top "new features" that we are planning on implementing. Right now our top priority it sorting out the 4.0 features so they are all working as close to perfectly as possible. Improvements to the expanded view and saving the expanded view will be a part of the 4.1 release.
Regards,
-Harlan
hock
Thanks, that's great.
hock/london

Win7pro, PB 7.0.4.5, J - 1.7.0
kloeden
Has any progress been made on this? It is, unfortunately, a feature which will determine whether it is worth my while buying the pro version rather than just using the free one.
jostber
I think this is on the absolute top list of requested features:

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=24830161&postcount=43

I would really like more keyboard shortcuts, and a way to configure them:

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=26084670&postcount=45

TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

michael
uh - it us now more than 1 year - 12 months - later / so just what is the 'real' story ?  looks like just a BS promise

this is a foundational element - not some 'nicety'

reminds me of cell phone service > lots of hype an bull about ring tones while never delivering on good service > inauthentic or even dishonest

is this even being worked on ? is there even anything in beta on this ? or is it just still on the bs-list ?

how about some actual honest authentic communication on this ?

promises that turn out to be empty after more than a year deserve some sort of truthful followup

at least that's what my Thoughts tell me / but then again, my anchored Thnoughts will disappear

ah yes - this is Etch-A-Sketch

Harlan wrote: Wes,

Yes, saving of the expanded view is something that we are planning on doing in a future release. Thanks for your feedback.

mbaas
Hi michael,

nice to see you here

I agree that it is a pity that these features aren't here yet. On the other hand, I also have a lot of sympathy with Harlan: I'm a sw-developer too and currently also struggle with projects running late.
And I must say your post seems a bit harsh (using the BS-word). After all, release-dates were never mentioned and it seems right now the focus is more on the stability and robustness of the core, which unfortunately doesn't do much to add sex-appeal, but 'only' to keep data safe.
On one side, I am certainly a bit disappointed that my pet-features aren't top on Harlan's list. On the other side I am continously amazed at the speed of development there, comparing it to other commercial companies.

So calm down and relax - if they confirmed these things will gome, they will come. It's just that the timing is not after our taste

All the best

Michael

BHurd
Geez, that seems like the harshest post I have ever read on these forums.  I will guarantee you that several of the features I would like to see haven't been implemented yet but, clearly this software is some of the most stable well developed stuff I have seen.  Every upgrade goes without a hitch for me and when there are problems the developers post a fix within days.

I have software (enterprise stuff) that I have been waiting on simple upgrades for over a year and a half and haven't even seen a single 0 or 1 produced by those particular developers.

Relax, michael, they're on it.

tcahill
I think I might have posted here once or twice before (about this particular issue) and I'm repeating myself to say that I'd really love to see saving expanded view.

As far as phone companies go --- it doesn't take much at all to get me ranting about phone companies. For that reason, I must protest against any comparison of Harlan and Co. to those evil, flea-infested, "for an additional $5/month", we're-only-throttling-your-bandwidth-to-ensure-good-service, "we round-up your minutes because we don't like fractions" ... Grrr.

There was a very long wait for version 4, which in fact delivered many incredible new features that we users had been asking for. It [B]is [/I]frustrating knowing that the painstaking layouts we manually create in expanded view will be lost if we switch views or re-open the plex. However, we should not loose sight of the remarkable improvement that expanded view provides over the other pre-version 4 views.

I can attest to the huge number of improvements that Harlan and co have delivered at our request. Many of these were delivered incredibly fast. Others have proven more complicated to implement, and all improvements must be prioritized.

Harlan stands to benefit more than any of us by continuing to improve his product, but he certainly has devoted a stupendous effort to date ensuring that we remain satisfied customers. We'll see saving expanded view when it is ready.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Shiiko
michael wrote: uh - it us now more than 1 year - 12 months - later...

Hey Michael,
Sounds like you have been around long enough to have seen that "Harlan & co" take the time necessary for a new feature to be implemented correctly.   I bit my fingernails over the length of time that it took for them to roll-out 'undo'.  We all wanted it.  The benefit from that feature was obvious.  But when they brought it out, it worked!  Not half worked.   At the other end of the spectrum, when they roll-out something that has an unexpected effect, they will quickly roll-out an updated version with a fix even before most of us have installed the initial update.  It's obvious that they can work fast, as well as it is obvious that they choose not to go to market with half baked solutions.

I guess that part of the thrill is having to wait for the gratification (something many of us are not used to) of new releases.    Just wait and see how happy you will be when they present the version with expanded view save.  I am also looking forward to it.
twospoons
I would like to thank everyone for their very civil responses to my thread.  I would very much like to see this new feature implemented, but I also realize that it does me no good to make empty threads or demands of the company that has worked so hard to provide such an awesome quality product.

Michael, please be patient with the rest of us.  If you have specific suggestions for ways to implement this feature request, feel free to post it up.  I know I've had new ideas pop up after reading some of the comments my fellow message board members have posted (for example, implementing an (x,y) coordinate relationship for each thought that would allow that thought to be positioned in relation to it's parent thought, as a way of implementing the ability to save an expanded view).
Wes
jostber
A roadmap would be nice though, like this one:

http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=devel&sub=engine&id=roadmap_2008
TheBrain 8.0.2.0 Slackware 14.1 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.7.0_25 / (Windows 7)

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software