reasonablekamikaze
Would be a huge timesaver. 
shatcher
Would you mind describing a bit how you would expect this to function? Would it be an already existing Tag that gets assigned, or do you mean to create a new Tag?
ryanoconnor1
+1 For this/multiple tags with ";"  I would imagine autocreating if it doesn't already exist
reasonablekamikaze
shatcher wrote:
Would you mind describing a bit how you would expect this to function? Would it be an already existing Tag that gets assigned, or do you mean to create a new Tag?

For example, the way Dynalist (https://dynalist.io) works is you type a hashtag as you're writing.

If you type #, a menu is displayed with the hashtags already used in the note (or child and parent in the context of TB)

If you type a tag and it already exists elsewhere, it'll re-use the existing tag.

If you type a tag and it doesn't exist, it'll automatically create it for you.
Dynalist Example.png 
metta
+1
tomcal123
+1
shatcher
Thanks for the suggestion. I have documented it for our engineers.
reasonablekamikaze
shatcher wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I have documented it for our engineers.

Thanks, shatcher! 🙂
metta
Hashtag Search Bug?

I recently bookmarked this discussion in one of my test brains, and I just now discovered the following term brings up no results in the search:
> #tagname

I thought TB10 search was set to pick up special characters, so I'm wondering if this is evidence of a new search bug?
shatcher
Metta,

That is actually the expected behavior. TheBrain search does not see the human readable name of the URL. Though this is a documented feature request, and I have added your voice to it.

On a positive note, I'm happy to report that the search does find the hashtag character. It found "#test" within a note while I tested this.
metta

Thanks for your prompt feedback, Sean -- and thanks for adding my name to the aforementioned feature request.

Thanks also for confirming that my search term (#tagname) can be found when placed in a note.

However, with continued testing, I discovered that when my hashtag search term is placed in a thought name, it cannot be found in the search. (Hash tags in thoughts labels do, however, show up in the search.)

In light of this, can another feature request be added for the search to read hashtags in thought names?

This would make hashtags accessible in all 4 places:
> thought names
> thought label
> thought notes
> human readable name of attached URLs

metta
Any feedback from TB team on this feature request?
mcaton
Metta,

Thank you for bringing this up.  I've confirmed that special characters do work for searching on thought tags or thought names (such as "@matt" or "#urgent") but these same instances in a Thought Note do not show up.

Documented.

Thanks,
Matt
metta
Thanks for your feedback, Matt. However, I confess to being confused now.

Based upon closer review in my brain installation, it looks like hash tags DO show up in the following locations (as I indicated previously):
> thought notes
> thought labels

However, these same hash tags DO NOT show up here:
> URL names <== Request Documented
> thought names

This is contrast to what you reported, specifically that:
> hash tags DO NOT show up notes
> hash tags DO show up in thought names

Is it possible we are getting different results in our searches? Or am I missing something?

What results are others getting when searching on hash tags in the following locations?
> thought name
> thought label
> thought note
> attachment name

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software