mcaton
We're in the process of building a collection of file attachment templates for our Mac Brain users.  Fans of TheBrain 8 on Mac may recall that you had to manually build your own template list when clicking "Add Attachment" on a Thought. This won't be the case for TheBrain 9 - your list will be populated for you (as long as we receive a copy of the file template you are requesting). Also, only the file templates that your machine supports will appear in the template list in TheBrain 9.  

So Mac users - what are your most used file types that you create from scratch in TheBrain?

Below is our growing list that will be updated as more file templates are received.  Please post the file type name, extension and attach a blank document (in case we don't have the specific application) of that type for us to use.  As files are received, I'll remove your post and update the list. We look forward to hearing from you!

File ExtensionNameTemplate Received?

aeonxmlAeon TimelineYes
afdesignAffinity DesignerYes
clarifyClarifyYes
curioCurioYes
docWord DocumentYes
docxWord DocumentYes
drawingDiagrammixYes
ftFolding TextYes
gbnotes2Growly NotesYes
graffleOmniGraffle FileYes
htmlHTML FileYes
itmziThoughtsXYes
keyKeynote PresentationYes
markdownMarkdownYes
mdMarkdownYes
mmFreeMind MapYes
mmdmAirList FileYes
mmapMindManager MapYes
nm5NovaMind 5Yes
numbersNumbers SpreadsheetYes
odfOpenOffice FunctionYes
odgOpenOffice DrawingYes
odpOpenOffice PresentationYes
odsOpenOffice SpreadsheetYes
odtOpenOffice DocumentYes
oeoutlineOutlineEditYes
oo3OmniOutlinerYes
outlineOutlinelyYes
opmlOutline Data ExchangeYes
pagesPages PublicationYes
pptPowerPoint PresentationYes
pptxPowerPoint PresentationYes
pubPublisher DocumentYes
rtfRTF DocumentYes
scapScap FileYes
scptAppleScriptYes
scrivScrivenerYes
t2dTouchDrawYes
tbxTinderbox DocumentYes
taskpaperTaskPaperYes
tl3dTimeline 3DYes
txtText DocumentYes
workflowWorkflowYes
xlsExcel WorksheetYes
xlsxExcel WorksheetYes
GerSch
It would be great, if we can create templates for Google Text, Sheet, Presentation, Forms and so on when clicking "Add Attachemnet", on all platforms!!
DrBop
Please add: 

Scapple                     .scap

OmniGraffle               .graffle

Sample (empty | no contents) documents attached.

Thanks!

Don
zenrain
For plain text folks, it would also be nice to have the extensions:
  • .markdown
  • .mmd
  • .md
  • .taskpaper
I've attached examples, however they are really just plain text files which can be easily opened by text editors in the appropriate format.

macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
zenrain
Tinderbox Files (.tbx).
Update: File edited to remove creator information.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
korm
iThoughtsX  .itmz

Curio  .curio

Scrivener .scriv

OPML .opml  (a generic format; maybe not what you're looking at)

NovaMind 5 .nm5

XMind  .xmind

Growly Notes  .GBnotes

Aeon Timeline .aeonxml

OmniOutliner .oo3 + the template format

zip Templates.zip    

Perhaps these are narrow in usage and not for your general template repository, though they are OS X specific:

AppleScript  .scpt (compiled)

Workflow (OS X Automator)  .workflow

zip Workflow - AppleScript.zip     
korm
Matt -- is this approach replacing our ability to add our own templates?  E.g.: I have multiple templates for the same file type because I put starter content in different instances of the same type.   I also have templates for file types that only are usually when I'm running Windows under a VM -- but I want the file in TheBrain.   Finally, I have template for very niche products (like Flying Logic).

So I need to be able to manage my own template folder.

Also, I don't think I'd 100% rely on getting info from OS X that accurately associates file types and applications.   There is always the rogue app that associates itself with a known file type without asking the user.  I've tested editors that appointed themselves the associated app for .doc files, for example.   And what's wrong with having a template for a file type that has no associated app?
pthompson
korm wrote:
is this approach replacing our ability to add our own templates?

No, it is not. You will still have the ability to create your own templates as before. We just want to include as many pre-made templates as possible.
pthompson
Thank you all for your submissions thus far. Some great examples here that we didn't think of; I can't believe I left out Markdown when I use it myself. [tongue]
mcaton
Master list has been updated.  Previous posts up to this point have been added.

Thanks,
Matt
pthompson
I notice that there was mention of some files like Curio, OmniOutline, Scrivener, etc. I don't believe these file types can be turned into templates because they are folders and not a single file. Or were the wrong template files included for these?
Harlan
Actually, we will support templates based on folders. For example, Apple's Pages works this way. A lot of work is going into TheBrain 9 expressly for this purpose.
Regards,
-Harlan
korm
mcaton wrote:
Master list has been updated.  Previous posts up to this point have been added.

In the list -- OPML can be associated with numerous applications, not merely OmniOutliner.   It's like HTML in that respect.   (OPML was originally specified for RSS data.)  I realize I submitted a template "OmniOutliner.opml" so that might have been misleading.   I would change your list to associate .opml with "Outline data exchange"

In that vein, here are three more outliners -- each OPML aware in addition to their native files (which are XML):

Outlinely .outline
OutlineEdit .oeoutline
FoldingText .ft

and a few others

Affinity Designer .afdesign (graphics design)
TouchDraw  .t2d  (graphics design)
Diagrammix .drawing (graphics design)
Clarify .clarify (instructional tutorial making)
Timeline 3D .tl3d (timeline -- formerly .bdt)

zip Archive.zip    

zip Timeline 3D.tl3d.zip     
pthompson
Great. Thanks for the explanation. They've been included. [smile]
mcaton
Thanks Paul!

List has been updated.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software