TotalBalance
I'm back to using TheBrain again after a long hiatus. To start things off I imported 20+ mindmaps related to the Brain created.

However, there are many duplicate thought titles. For example, if I search for "TheBrain" I'll find 12 individual thoughts by the same name yet linked to different thoughts. I'd like to merge all the thoughts with the title "TheBrain" yet preserver all the associations under what would be one "TheBrain" thought.

Any ideas? Let me know if I need to explain futher.

Cheers,
zenrain
I'm not aware of a way to do this automatically. My only suggestion would be to run a report sorted by name and manually find the duplicates. Then attach the duplicates as Jump thoughts (so you can switch between them easily), decide on which one you want to keep and associate it with the thoughts and add notes/attachments as needed. Then Delete/Forget the duplicate.

Sorry, I can't think of an easier way.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
TotalBalance
Hi Zenbrain,
I suspected there wouldn't be an automated way yet Thanks! for your suggestion on how to do a "manual" merge and cleanse. I'll slice out some time and do as you've suggested :-)
enkidu
What is troubling is that, when importing from a text outline (operation that I do often BECAUSE of this), if there are duplicate thought names, TheBrain asks/proposes what to do with them.

But when importing from a BrainXML, this does not happen.

1. it's a shame
2. I don't see any valid technical / functional reason why it should not behave the same way

Moderators ?

cheers
enkidu
jcadbiz
I am delighted with the quick basic outline dexterity possible in the free version of THEBRAIN [smile]

I am thinking "different code base" - you have essentially multiple machines that can certainly add this feature - but they haven't.  That's why modular (or object) programming is great - but it isn't automatic.  So maybe they'll get out the toolbox....

Here is a related event where merging automatically as an option would be a great option:

ALREADY HAVE: When you create a new thought and it matches an existing thought you can instead select the existing thought.

SHOULD HAVE: When you rename an existing thought to a different, existing name, intending to merge the two.  Presently nothing happens - NOT EVEN AN OFFER TO SIDE-LINK THE TWO. Which, I would think, would be a decent first step - and an option BESIDES to "Merge all links."
Brigitte
Thank you for your feedback. It has been noted.

Best regards,
Brigitte
MartinGregory
I came with the same question.

The most common situation for me is the simplest - I created a though called "Scala" under "Languages" ages go, yesterday I created one called "Scala" under "Industry Problems".      Today I go to link to my existing thought called Scala and see that I have two options.  But they are both clearly the same thought, so I want to tell TheBrain to make them the same thought.

Is this problem solved yet?
zenrain
Short answer, there is still no way to automatically merge different thoughts with the same name, you must delete one manually. 
Longer answer, it’s now possible in v9 to run a report to find thoughts with duplicate names. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software