antfernandez
Version 9 is an impressive update, but the fixed, single storage location for all brains is a problem for my use case (and others?).  I like to use The Brain as a client application to open brains that are stored in many different locations, according to their purpose, ownership, confidentiality requirements, etc - I suppose this is the word processor model, which allows files of a suitable format to be opened from whatever location they happen to reside in.  I wonder if anyone else has or can envisage having this requirement?  More fundamentally, I wonder whether this feature can be changed in later releases?
pthompson
antfernandez,

I understand what you're saying, but in my opinion it doesn't make sense for TheBrain.

Your situation makes perfect sense for a word processor, as you mentioned, because those are single files.

Brains are a database, full of multiple files that are constantly changing as you work on them. For this reason, it is better to control and keep the location of Brains in a single place that is managed by the app; To help prevent database corruption.

TheBrain provides a full interface and tools for interacting with your Brains in a safe manner. For example, if you need to rename a Brain, you can do so from within the app; This should never be done outside of TheBrain app and was/is a source for many support calls and emails with TheBrain 8 and below. This is just one example, of course.

This is also one of the main reasons we made the name for Brain's folders in their location more ambiguous. We want to minimize the potential for database corruption due to manual modification of a Brain database outside of TheBrain application.
metta
I understand the desire on the part of TB staff to prevent users from fiddling with system files.

However, I too carefully stored my v8 brain files in named folders, and I'm in the process now of adjusting (psychologically) to no longer having this option.

I suspect I may eventually relax about this, but it does feel more than a bit disconcerting to have ambiguously named brains, with no way of recognizing them by their "given" names.

@antfernandez -- Have you considered your options for working around this new restriction, given your fairly complex use case? I would be very interested to learn more about how you manage this since I can easily imagine situations where the kind of control you describe would be desirable.
antfernandez
@metta I've devoted an inordinate amount to time to thinking how I can accommodate this new behaviour to no avail.  I fear this might be the end of the line for me and TheBrain, which is a great disappointment to me.  I understand that, if my use case is highly unusual, then there is no expectation that the dev team should bend to my wishes, which is why I was pleased to see that you have similar requirements (although I'm sorry if you are ultimately inconvenienced too).  For what it's worth, I've reluctantly started looking again at TinderBox as an alternative.
metta
Ah....so sorry to hear this, antfernandez. I can certainly understand your concern and disappointment.

In my own case, I don't think this particular change will be a deal killer for me, but I have yet to think through all the potential implications of how this might impact my use of TheBrain.

Of course, if you are eventually struck with a bolt of insight about how you might manage a workaround for this change, please do let us know. I will also be very interested to know what you eventually decide about any other software applications you explore.
Jacqui
antfernandez wrote: @metta I've devoted an inordinate amount to time to thinking how I can accommodate this new behaviour to no avail.  I fear this might be the end of the line for me and TheBrain, which is a great disappointment to me.  I understand that, if my use case is highly unusual, then there is no expectation that the dev team should bend to my wishes, which is why I was pleased to see that you have similar requirements (although I'm sorry if you are ultimately inconvenienced too).  For what it's worth, I've reluctantly started looking again at TinderBox as an alternative.

+1 I, unfortunately, am with you regarding this new functionality of TB9. I am having great difficulty adjusting to both forced location and ambiguous naming.
sdlamb
I use TheBrain 8 as part of an overall directory structure that includes synchronisation using a private cloud. To have the database in a fixed location on each device provents me locating it in the synchronisation folders and so this will not work. Looks like this might be a showstopper for me too as I need the databases replicated between PCs and the LAN copy and will not use a public or externally located cloud service for these files because of security policy.
zenrain
The location must be in the same folder for all databases, but may be customized in preferences. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
mcaton
Yes, please click on Options > Preferences > System Tab (for Windows) or TheBrain > Preferences > System Tab (macOS) and specify where you would like to save your Brain data in the Storage area of this tab.

That being said, you can't simply back this directory up to another machine and expect to see/access the same Brains.  There is also some critical data located in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\TheBrain as well.  As Patrick mentioned earlier, it's best not to tamper with these directories manually, to avoid database corruption. So, if you need to move a Brain between machines, but cannot sync to WebBrain.com, transferring a Brain via an archive file (.brz) would be a safe alternative.

Thank you,
Matt

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software