metta
@wordmuse ~

TB Support recently referenced Harlan's feedback in this forum discussion as a possible fix for broken attachment links following an import from TB8 into TB9.

However, based on your feedback, it looked like the "fix" for the broken link problem would have been both massive and difficult.

In light of this, I'm now wondering:
  • Did you ever manage to come up with a fix for the broken attachment link issue?
  • If so, (1) what was the solution and (2) have you since upgraded to TB9?

I'm just curious since I recently imported my first (small) test brain into TB9 and immediately had problems with some of the internal links in the notes breaking.

At this point, it looks like it would be an equally massive (and difficult) task to fix all the broken note links after importing a large brain into TB9, so I'll be looking forward to your update about whatever became of your broken attachment link problem.

With appreciation and interest,
Metta
wordmuse
Hi Metta,

There was no good resolution for me. Basically, I had to turn TB8 into an archive and start over with TB9. Thankfully, I did not have a huge business problem associated with this or I would not have been able to upgrade to TB9. But my data in the TB8 system is naturally archival - that is it is a record of what I've done and not all that needed for current projects.

There were some files (attachments to thoughts) in TB8 that I did need in TB9, so I manually brought those in so that TB9 has easy access to them.  For example, music scores that I am working on - I just searched for them with Windows Explorer and copied them all over to a TB9 thought and then used TB9 to put them where it made sense. It was a big effort, but it was also just a one off effort.

So - the long and short of it is that I have both TB8 and TB9 on my system, and if I ever need something that is housed in TB8, I run TB8 to access it.

It would have been nice if the folks at TheBrain.com had not messed with the file names so that relative links would work. I still don't understand why they had to do so. In both TB8 and TB9, when viewed with Windows Explorer, the directory names look equally cryptic to me. But I'm not a coder. Maybe there really was a good reason.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, feel free to ask.

Regards,
- Bal
metta

Thank you so much, Bal, for your prompt and helpful feedback.

I'm sorry to learn there was no fix for this broken link issue, but I'm glad the nature of your data storage was such that a manual import of attachments from TB8 to TB9 was doable.

Your feedback, along with other's import observations, combined with my own preliminary experience importing test brain projects into TB9, suggests that I may be in a similar boat with much of my own TB8 content: one large megabrain and several topical brains.

Because of ongoing problems I've had in TB9, along with missing features in TB9, my daily work is still in TB8, and I'm simply working in test brains now in TB9. However, when it comes time to eventually move into TB9, I suspect will probably have to archive my old TB8 content, as well.

Not really what I had been hoping for with the TB9, but I'm coming to terms with this likely possibility.

In the meantime, thanks again for your helpful reality check.

In addition, FWIW, Mark Trexler and I both ended up asking TB staff for clarification on the fate of links in TB9 following an import and/or a GUID change, and I'm looking forward to seeing if there will be any encouraging news on this front in the days ahead:

> Mark's Questions: Is TB9 Backward Compatible or Not? What About TB10?

> Metta's Questions: TB8 & TB9: Impact of GUID & Import Changes on Local & Web Brain Links 

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software