jackeric
I was reading this thread
http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=1743375&highlight=synonym

and I wanted to add a bit on it.

1st point :
In search results, categories are created depending on the parent level search results. In the results, the one-level up parent is displayed with the result.

Would it be possible to add the entire path to get there within the category bar where it's written "content 1 of 10 of 23". I think this will help to make the results more readable since thoughts name are usually significative.

2nd point :
I've seen Harlan's answers about extending filtering options in the searches. I'm looking forward to them (search within notes, PDF, word documents, URLs, etc...) but also by grouping the results within a selection or thought branch.

3rd point :
I'm playing with the synonyms filter and just love it. I didn't knew about it since it's not in the june 21 version of the brain manual, so I have a question about it : is the "distance" from the original word used to establish %relevance in the search results ? I.e. on a line, I have Aerodynamic=CFD; turbulence; transition point; and so on. I have 10 synonyms within this description. From my first feeling, the words that are closer to the original (Aeordynamic) are much more relevant to it than the 9th and 10th one which are still beeing in that set of definition/synonym. So my question is do the search results associate a lower relevance to results found using the 9th or 10th synonym ? If so, it's exactly what I would like for this application. But in other instances, all synonyms are just that : equal words and I would like to have an option to use/or not that relevance synchronisation between the word position in the line definition.

Thanks
Quote
Harlan
jackeric wrote:

1st point :
In search results, categories are created depending on the parent level search results. In the results, the one-level up parent is displayed with the result.

Would it be possible to add the entire path to get there within the category bar where it's written "content 1 of 10 of 23". I think this will help to make the results more readable since thoughts name are usually significative.


This is difficult to do since in PB there is really no "entire path" - there is no guarantee that a thought has a parent. It may have two or eight. Each of those may also have multiple parents, eteceter.

jackeric wrote:

2nd point :
I've seen Harlan's answers about extending filtering options in the searches. I'm looking forward to them (search within notes, PDF, word documents, URLs, etc...) but also by grouping the results within a selection or thought branch.


The Windows Pro and Core versions have search within PDFs and Word docs now. All versions have search within notes and URLs.

jackeric wrote:

3rd point :
I'm playing with the synonyms filter and just love it. I didn't knew about it since it's not in the june 21 version of the brain manual, so I have a question about it : is the "distance" from the original word used to establish %relevance in the search results ? I.e. on a line, I have Aerodynamic=CFD; turbulence; transition point; and so on. I have 10 synonyms within this description. From my first feeling, the words that are closer to the original (Aeordynamic) are much more relevant to it than the 9th and 10th one which are still beeing in that set of definition/synonym. So my question is do the search results associate a lower relevance to results found using the 9th or 10th synonym ? If so, it's exactly what I would like for this application. But in other instances, all synonyms are just that : equal words and I would like to have an option to use/or not that relevance synchronisation between the word position in the line definition.

Right now, synonyms are synonyms - everything on the line regardless of position is equal. We'll try to get this added to the manual.

Regards,
-Harlan
Quote
jackeric

Harlan wrote:
Right now, synonyms are synonyms - everything on the line regardless of position is equal. We'll try to get this added to the manual.

Sorry to bother you with all those details near a RC version. I wish I have found that feature earlier also. But this project is a WOSM task (Work On Spared Moments) for more than a year.

Quote

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software