Leslieinva
Is there anyway to provide friendlier names to the folders holding internal attachments (i.e., those found under \Files within a brain's folder)? 

It seems they are all randomly generated names making it very hard when I want to use a file manager to navigate through my attachments.
lunatrix
Hi Leslie it sounds like you are facing exactly the issue I am! I started using PB a few months back and was loving it but inability to integrate it with my existing file structures really limited it for me. I work from different computers (PC and Mac) in different places and have a system where I create a big archive of all my files that I can access from all computers, via an external hard disk if necessary, and a small 'current' folder that I carry round on a flash drive and copy back and forth to different machines. Every month or two I back up from the current to the archive, and about once a year I make substantial changes to the archive and do a massive copy to the places I need it.
I would love to manage all this via a brain in my current folder! At first I thought I would copy the whole archive into PB which would be absolutely fabulous and I think I would do that if I was a one-computer gal but it obviously makes the brain far too enormous to carry around in my current folder. Also there are times when I need to just find stuff in my archive without going in through PB so friendly folder names are a must!
I feel the ideal thing would be to have a brain with links to my archived files and to store copies of my current files internally.
Seems to me an ideal solution would be if we could have a preference where we specified just the root of an archive of external files and then all the links could be accessed relative to that (like on a website). Every so often of course you would have to manually recreate links but that would be a reasonable burden - esp with the new ability to do that from within PB.
Also seems to me this would not be TOO difficult to implement via a 'relative links' system like we use all the time for creating webpages.
But I am a non technical type and may be living in cloud cuckoo land!
Also I may well be missing some perfectly obvious and cool way I could already be setting myself up with PB for use with an archive and current system like I describe.
Any thoughts from anyone? I feel if I could solve this problem I could really integrate PB with my life rather than just having it as a side dish, tasty as it is.
Happy new year to all!
Helen
lunatrix

lunatrix
WOW! I just figured out that the brain can work exactly the way I want!
Just takes a little fiddling around with folder names...
Sorry to have been so dense.
Helen
PS It would be a tiny bit nicer to be able to set some kind of HOME or ROOT folder in the preferences but this is definitely fine for now.

Shiiko
Hi Helen. So...what was your solution?
lunatrix
Well I wouldnt really call it a solution. I just looked to see what PB actually does with links that you add on one computer (Mac) when you move the whole brain to another computer (PC). It seems to change the path root to C: and then just add the rest of the path as it was. So by recreating the same folder structure under C: with a series of blank folders and copying your files from computer 1 into that - you fool it into reading your attachments like normal. It is a bit of fiddling around but it means you can keep an archive of external files on different computers.
The solution I would LIKE would be to have a preference where we could set our own root folder (eg. C: My Documents Archive, or whatever).
Cheers
Helen

lunatrix
And sadly it seems it is not quite as good as I thought - when I transfer back the other way it is like it used to be when I tried this before - the attachment is not just not found but the link is lost completely so you dont even know the file name to search for. This seems really bad to me - I will add to the feature request thread too.
Helen

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software