wordmuse
I had to open an old brain using Windows TB8 (because, sadly, there was no way to easily port the old brain over to TB9 and TB10).

As I worked with TB8 I realized something... In TB10 I do not seem to be able to search the contents of attachments like I could in TB8.  I can provide screenshots if this is not clear.

Did this TB8 feature make it over to TB10? If so, how do I use it?

If the feature did not make it over to TB10, can it be brought back? Having used it again in TB8 makes me realize how much I used to use it, but forgot.

~ Bal
metta
@wordmuse ~

In October 2017, Harlan indicated the external attachment search would eventually be added back in. I do not know if this has been fully implemented yet or not. Will be looking forward to a status report on this feature request from TB team since I am interested in this, as well.

In the meantime, Bal, would you be willing to explain a bit more about why you were unable to import your old brain into TB10? I'm still working in TB8, myself -- and I am always interested in learning more about what worked (and didn't work) with others' imports from TB8.
wordmuse
The problem was with some of my attachments, which had links to other attachments within TB8. Consider two Word docs, one referring to the other. I used relative links, meaning they didn't explicitly specify where they were on the hard drive. They simply indicated where they were relative to each other, via folder names. 

Well - apparently because of architectural changes in the TB9 software, all the old folder names were changed. So all of the relative links were broken. The lack of backward compatibility in this regard has been a real sore point for me since the release of TB9. I guess my usage was rare or unique enough that it wasn't a visible problem to the development team. My own darned fault. I so often take software beyond what developers envision when they create it.

Anyway - that's the short of it. As a result, I've had to keep TB8 on my machine and treat all the brains created by it as archives, which is a pain because I have to remember whether a bit of information I want is recent enough to be in TB10. Mainly it is, but today it wasn't, and thus this thread. 🙂
wordmuse
I note that a long time (nearly a year and a half!) has passed since the discussion where it was said that the search of attachments would be added back in. If someone could put a little weight on this item, it would be greatly appreciated by at least one user!
mcaton
Bal,

You are correct. The search results are much more streamlined in v10, but file attachments ARE indexed and searchable.  The 'In context search results', such as what you saw in v8 is on our feature request list. I'll give it a nudge for you.  We have, however, recently added the ability to find external attachments. So development does continue...

Thanks,
Matt
wordmuse
Hi Matt - 

So a clarification please: if I search for a string that's in a text file, TB10 should be able to find it, even though it won't display the contents of the text file? Or do you mean something else?

Thanks.
~ Bal
metta
mcaton wrote:
We have, however, recently added the ability to find external attachments.

Additional clarification, please:
> Should searching to find "external attachments" now include finding the names of attached links?

Based on my experience and feedback from Sean (in a support ticket back in January [#65141] and in the forum last week), TB10 only searches on URLs themselves and not on the "human readable" name of the URL.
mcaton
Bal,

You are correct. TheBrain will return a search result for matching content within a text file.  If the content of the document is "The quick fox jumps over the lazy dog." and the name of the file is Poem.txt (or Poem.doc, Poem.xls, etc.)... Then searching for "lazy" will result in Poem.txt showing up in your search results.

Thanks,
Matt
wordmuse
Great - thanks a lot. That's very helpful.

Regards,
~ Bal

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software