yuryg
Hello All,

I have seen a few brief references to David Allens Getting Things Done (GTD) in the forums.  I am always interested if people follow the system with the Brain how are they managing their Trusted System.

I figured I will start this topic so that we can all share ideas of how we use TheBrain within the GTD System, or as a trusted Storage System, and how to use it for other Time Saving Tasks.

Lets all Share and learn from each other.

mbaas
Hi yuryg,

you started an interesting discussion,  I hope we get lots of feedback!

I am still a newbiew to GTD (and PB!), so I still have to learn living with the methodology and finding the right tools to support it. One thing that seems obvious to me is using PB for the Reference-material and also the "Maybe/Some day"-stuff.

I would also like to use PB for all the list-oriented stuff, but am struggling because
  1. I fear that simple list in Lotus Notes might be better to handle (faster to scan through) when there are lots of items. (OTOH, maybe my lists shouldn't be so large?)
  2. I would loose "Portability" for these items. Currently they sync to my PocketPC, so I have easy access to them, without the need to carry the laptop along.
OTOH, I just love PB for its ability to link thoughts and put stuff into context, so I would really like to do GTD fully with PB. (Having everything in one system obviously also has its advantages in itself...) So I'm even toying with the idea of getting a UMPC, just so that I can carry my brain along

Curious what others have to say...

Cheers

Michael

yuryg
Here is how I am trying to set up GTD as a trusted system, although the notepad in 4.0 is killing me a little bit with the cut and paste functionality and how it does things.

The thing that also complicates it for me is that I own the Plug-in for GTD for outlook and until I find the correct way of doing things the Plug-in just does things so much easier.  So for now I keep tasks in both locations by just dragging and dropping from Outlook.

Here are my Categories:
@Agendas - used for work agendas
@Anywhere
@Calls
@Computer - Home
@Computer - Work
@Documents  - This is just a temporary place I put things that I need to read and document in my Work brain.
@Errands
@Home  - Non Computer Tasks I need to do at Home
@Office - Non Computer Tasks I need to do at Office
@Read or Review
@Waiting For - Home - The reason for this is I want to keep separate taks for home things and for work things.
@Waiting For - Work
@Deferred - For keeping the things in there temporarily until the date comes up.

In terms of Main Tree --- I also have Projects, with two children under there for Projects - Home, Projects - Work and then the appropriate projects under each.

For now I am just moving the things over from outlook to "the Brian" - Especially with the 2 licenses so I can use Mac/Windows (Thank you Harlan).

My Wish list for making this easier -
1. Notepad to actually cut and paste correctly.
2. When dragging E-Mails over for the text to get copied in to the body of the note.

yuryg
mbaas wrote:

OTOH, I just love PB for its ability to link thoughts and put stuff into context, so I would really like to do GTD fully with PB. (Having everything in one system obviously also has its advantages in itself...) So I'm even toying with the idea of getting a UMPC, just so that I can carry my brain along

I have been wrestling with this as well, as my PPC sync's so nicely to my work outlook, but having the ADMIN the ability to view my stuff is also not something I want and that is possible in both Lotus Notes (used to be a Lotus Notes Security Admin a long time ago), and a lot easier in outlook.

For now I am considering export to a plain HTML file and moving it over to the PPC.  I can also take simple notes in notepad or even create tasks in task manager that I can import in to "GTD Brain" at a later time.

Ultimately getting TheBrain running on a pocketpc would be amazing. I wanted to try this and actually volunteered to do so, but my work commitments have been a bit pressing where I can not dedicate 2-4 hours to sit down and work this through.

Maybe with others input on how they do things everyone can get ideas and start using "TheBrain". 

Someone at "The Brain" mentioned that they know David Allen, maybe if he uses the Brain he can help us along with this. After all "The Brain" is the ultimate storage system.

westbroek
I'm using PB for GTD at the moment. I have a GTD thought with Next Actions, Someday/Maybe, Waiting For..., Projects as child thoughts.

The Next Actions thought has several contexts as child thoughts (@Home, @Work, etc.).

I also use a pinned thought named InBox to quickly capture something GTD without being bogged down where it should go.

Singular NA's go into one of their context. A project goes on the Projects thought. I use the Jump link to link to a Next Action. The jumps give me a clearer view on project-NA relation *and* the filled in jump dot is easier for me to spot. This makes it very easy to go view my Project list and see which one is missing an NA.

Waiting For... is often linked back to a person's thought.

So far I don't have more or less friction than with other (computer based) systems. Just before I was using MindManager with GyroQ. MM was running less often though. Nice thing from MM is the instant complete overview.

Reason I'm now testing this with PB is that I would prefer to have One System.

zenrain
I have a pretty similar setup for GTD.
Mine consists of Inbox, Later, and Waiting for someone. I use the Inbox as next actions because moving it from Inbox was just more work for me than needed. I also use the calendar feature for my next actions on the items in the Inbox, so they are date related and it's easy for me to tell what to do next, and when.
Waiting for someone is jump linked to a person (like your setup), so I can easily tell who I need to follow up with. I usually have a calendar event to follow up, as a reminder.
So far it's working very well for me, as I can link items to files, folders and related projects. It gives my GTD system a level of context that I haven't been able to recreate in any other program, and is the key piece that really sets PersonalBrain above everything else I've tried (including MindManager). The feature that brought PersonalBrain back from the dead and replace MM again was the calendar. In 3x, keeping track of date related items was just too unwieldy.

I'm really looking forward to the improved tagging feature. I think it will bring a whole new depth to thought relations and retrieval.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
yuryg
We need to create some example brains for GTD so we can get ideas. I looked at the messages and I think I got some ideas on the systems.

Ralf
Creating some example brains is a very nice idea. I understand that posting some screencaps could interfere with sb's privacy.

I find it quite easily to understand how to organize contexts/categories, n/a and projects ... but how do you deal with those tasks which are done?

Do you simply "forget" these thoughts which represent things you have "done"?

zenrain
In my case, thoughts that are usually in my Inbox are also a part of a project, or related to some other thought somewhere. When the task is complete, I unlink it from the Inbox, and it stays linked to the other parent.
I find that tasks that aren't linked elsewhere in the brain, and don't require to be stored in the brain can usually be done almost as fast as adding a thought to the brain and scheduling, so I just do it.
For those that do need to be stored as a task but that's it, are deleted when finished, unless I think I may need to remember it at a later date, in which case it's forgotten.
I haven't run into too many of these.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
yuryg
I actually create a category for Completed Tasks - and put things in there when I am done with them. I also created a "type" for them which is dark grey in color so that they do not interfere with anything.  For tasks that are in projects I leave them there, but since they are different color it is easy to organize.

I also started to use colors to identify important tasks, regular priority tasks and then low priority tasks based on "type and color".

basilisk
I've been using tiddlywiki for my GTD. I could just link to this and then jump out from PB. but as all my work-based stuff is working so well in PB I'm going to try migrating the GTD stuff into PB, using a scheme similar to the ones suggested above.
JosefBetancourt
basilisk wrote:
I've been using tiddlywiki for my GTD. I could just link to this and then jump out from PB. but as all my work-based stuff is working so well in PB I'm going to try migrating the GTD stuff into PB, using a scheme similar to the ones suggested above.

Let us know how you make out.  I've been lurking on this GTD subject since I have not seen or come up with a clear way of doing it. (Plus my employers are stuck in Lotus Notes, which.....).

--- Josef

outstretchedarm

I'm using TodoMatrix on my Blackberry to do GTD.  Its with me everywhere, which makes it the perfect system.

I spent about a month back in the summer building up my PersonalBrain framework, mostly of my ideas and beliefs.  I'd love to be able to access it remotely from the BB.  If I could i would use it non-stop.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software